Happy Juneteenth

ShadySands

Never heard of that. Should be a day off work.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Happy day! Truly.

Today is also San Diego Area Code 619 Remembrance Day Which Is Not A Real Thing Particularly Compared To Emancipation.

My phone number is 858, even though I live in 760 ... I choose to celebrate 619 because despite my appearance and what my parents have told me, I identify as San Diegan.

• Like 1

All Stop. On Screen.

Celebration of the abolition of slavery in the south.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Wait, seriously? Shouldn't it have a better name than just "Juneteenth"? :huh:

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Wait, seriously? Shouldn't it have a better name than just "Juneteenth"? :huh:

It has other names but most are shared with other holidays so Juneteenth is the more common name (portmanteau of June and nineteenth)

It's not a very popular holiday and is mostly celebrated locally so no days off or anything

Some history

Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration commemorating the ending of slavery in the United States.  Dating back to 1865, it was on June 19th that the Union soldiers, led by Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston, Texas with news that the war had ended and that the enslaved were now free. Note that this was two and a half years after President Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation - which had become official January 1, 1863. The Emancipation Proclamation had little impact on the Texans due to the minimal number of Union troops to enforce the new Executive Order. However, with the surrender of General Lee in April of 1865, and the arrival of General Granger’s regiment, the forces were finally strong enough to influence and overcome the resistance.

Later attempts to explain this two and a half year delay in the receipt of this important news have yielded several versions that have been handed down through the years. Often told is the story of a messenger who was murdered on his way to Texas with the news of freedom. Another, is that the news was deliberately withheld by the enslavers to maintain the labor force on the plantations. And still another, is that federal troops actually waited for the slave owners to reap the benefits of one last cotton harvest before going to Texas to enforce the Emancipation Proclamation. All of which, or neither of these version could be true. Certainly, for some, President Lincoln's authority over the rebellious states was in question   For whatever the reasons, conditions in Texas remained status quo well beyond what was statutory.

I have some family history in that area at that time and that's mostly how our family came to celebrate it.
  • Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21