Game not launching in Xubuntu

Ubereil

Question

The title says it all - the game flat out doesn't launch. Pressing the Play button in Steam has absolutely no effect, as far as I can tell, and neither does double clicking the desktop shortcut or the "/home/ubereil/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity" binary. I tried rebooting and double clicking the desktop shortcut - it launched Steam and nothing else. I've tried reinstalling the game - it changed nothing.

When running /home/ubereil/.steam/steam/SteamApps/common/Pillars of Eternity/PillarsOfEternity in a terminal I get the following output: "cannot execute binary file: Exec format error"

The folder .config/unity3d/ does not contain a folder called Obsidian Entertainment, so no logs.

System information below:

System information report, generated by Sysinfo: 6/19/2015 3:44:48 PM
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gsysinfo

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Running Ubuntu Linux, the Ubuntu 14.04 (trusty) release.
    GNOME: unknown (unknown)
    Kernel version: 3.13.0-53-generic (#89-Ubuntu SMP Wed May 20 10:34:28 UTC 2015)
    GCC: 4.8 (i686-linux-gnu)
    Xorg: 1.15.1 (12 February 2015  02:49:46PM) (12 February 2015  02:49:46PM)
    Hostname: ubereil-MS-7917
    Uptime: 0 days 1 h 9 min

CPU INFORMATION
    GenuineIntel, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4590 CPU @ 3.30GHz
    Number of CPUs: 4
    CPU clock currently at 800.000 MHz with 6144 KB cache
    Numbering: family(6) model(60) stepping(3)
    Bogomips: 6600.76
    Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf eagerfpu pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 fma cx16 xtpr pdcm pcid sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes xsave avx f16c rdrand lahf_lm abm ida arat xsaveopt pln pts dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 hle avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid rtm

MEMORY INFORMATION
    Total memory: 8044 MB
    Total swap: 8073 MB

STORAGE INFORMATION
    SCSI device -  scsi0
        Vendor:  ASUS     
        Model:  DRW-24F1ST   a   
    SCSI device -  scsi1
        Vendor:  ATA      
        Model:  Crucial_CT240M50
    SCSI device -  scsi6
        Vendor:  HUAWEI   
        Model:  Mass Storage     
    SCSI device -  scsi7
        Vendor:  HUAWEI   
        Model:  SD Storage       

HARDWARE INFORMATION
MOTHERBOARD
    Host bridge
        Intel Corporation 4th Gen Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)
        Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Device 7917
    PCI bridge(s)
        Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Intel Corporation Device 8c90 (rev d0) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
        Intel Corporation Device 8c96 (rev d0) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
    ISA bridge
        Intel Corporation Device 8cc4

GRAPHIC CARD
    VGA controller
        Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT [Radeon HD 7970/8970 OEM / R9 280X] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited / Sapphire Technology Device 3001

SOUND CARD
    Multimedia controller
        Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Tahiti XT HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 7970 Series]
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited / Sapphire Technology Device aaa0

NETWORK
    Ethernet controller
        Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13)

Übereil

6 answers to this question

You’re trying to run PoE, which is a 64-bit game, on a 32-bit OS. It just won’t work.

If your CPU does support 64-bit instructions and you don’t want to go through an OS reinstallation to switch to 64-bit (despite the fact it would be a good idea), just tell me and I’ll guide you through the process of enabling 64-bit applications support on your Ubuntu.

If you don’t know if your CPU does support 64-bit instructions, post its model here and I’ll try to guess if it does. Anyway, if you bought it in the last five years it probably does support 64-bit instructions.

Edited by vv221

You’re trying to run PoE, which is a 64-bit game, on a 32-bit OS. It just won’t work.

If your CPU does support 64-bit instructions and you don’t want to go through an OS reinstallation to switch to 64-bit (despite the fact it would be a good idea), just tell me and I’ll guide you through the process of enabling 64-bit applications support on your Ubuntu.

If you don’t know if your CPU does support 64-bit instructions, post its model here and I’ll try to guess if it does. Anyway, if you bought it in the last five years it probably does support 64-bit instructions.

*stares blankly at the post for about five minuts*

So nine months ago when I installed Xubuntu I subconciously picked the 32 bit version, and I haven't noticed until now. Right.

*stares blankly into the distance for five minuts*

Anyway, I guess I'm going to have to reinstall my OS (because there really is no reason whatsoever for me not to use a 64-bit OS). Thanks for the info.

Übereil, who expects to get a phone call from work where they tell him they're actually a secret government organization holding off an Alien invasion and he's urgently needed at the office in an hour