Fallout 4 standalone from Obsidian!?

Grotesque

Now that Fallout 4 was announced, what are the chances that a new Fallout from Obsidian to come out?

I really liked New Vegas  because of the writing quality and quest/game design.

The fiasco between Bethesda and Obsidian regarding royalties I hope does not impede a future collaboration.

Josh Sawyer stated numerous time he would like to work again to a new Fallout game.

is there a petition to sign regarding this? :)

• Like 2

After my realization that White March has the same XP reward problem, I don't even have the drive to launch game anymore because I hated so much reaching Twin Elms with a level cap in vanilla PoE that I don't wish to relive that experience.

I think Bethesda will contract whoever made Shadows of Mordor, if that plebbit leak a while back was accurate.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Bethesda should grab both Obsidian and InXile, then grab MCA, and start up the Fallout: Van Buren franchise. A series of 3rd person turn based fallout games more like modern versions of Fallout 1 and 2. Get each company to do one on a cycle so one comes out every 1-2 years or so.

• Like 4
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Bethesda should grab both Obsidian and InXile, then grab MCA, and start up the Fallout: Van Buren franchise. A series of 3rd person turn based fallout games more like modern versions of Fallout 1 and 2. Get each company to do one on a cycle so one comes out every 1-2 years or so.

Bethesda's very own Call of Duty? : P

I think Bethesda will contract whoever made Shadows of Mordor, if that plebbit leak a while back was accurate.

Shadows of Mordor was made by Monolith (of No One Lives Forever and FEAR fame), who are currently owned by Warner Bros.

I'm skeptical that they would go to a publisher owned studio.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Bethesda should contract Obsidian to do an Isometric retro-style Fallout game (Fallout: The Isometric Turn Based Game).  I hear that Pillars of Eternity did pretty good tapping that nostalgia market, and a nostalgia Fallout spinoff wouldn't compete with Fallout 4 or Fallout 4: Spinoff in the sandbox 3D arena.

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

• Like 5

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Bethesda should contract Obsidian to do an Isometric retro-style Fallout game (Fallout: The Isometric Turn Based Game).  I hear that Pillars of Eternity did pretty good tapping that nostalgia market, and a nostalgia Fallout spinoff wouldn't compete with Fallout 4 or Fallout 4: Spinoff in the sandbox 3D arena.

Yes!

Hm, or a Fallout 4 Mod/Expansion that introduces new mechanics, say, an Eyebot companion that introduces new gameplay mechanics. A Tactical & Strategical Eyebot, activated in the Pipboy, and when you do, you get the camera perspective of the Eyebot inside the Pipboy, which flies up and fixates itself in an isometric view, and places a holographic grid on the battlefield and then turn-based tactical mode begins.

This way, you could seemlessly go from First Person, to Third Person, and heck, even to Isometric Top-Down in an immersive fashion.

(P.S. I absolutely love the new Pipboy design and the hand in-screen)

Edited by Osvir

Yes!

Hm, or a Fallout 4 Mod/Expansion that introduces new mechanics, say, an Eyebot companion that introduces new gameplay mechanics. A Tactical & Strategical Eyebot, activated in the Pipboy, and when you do, you get the camera perspective of the Eyebot inside the Pipboy, which flies up and fixates itself in an isometric view, and places a holographic grid on the battlefield and then turn-based tactical mode begins.

This way, you could seemlessly go from First Person, to Third Person, and heck, even to Isometric Top-Down in an immersive fashion.

(P.S. I absolutely love the new Pipboy design and the hand in-screen)

Wouldn't work in interiors.

Wouldn't work in interiors.

Unless transparancy/virtual "infrafred" or other~

There's probably a lot of loading screens in Fallout 4, but one thing I noticed that made it different in comparison to Fallout 3 and NV was that... not many houses seems to prompt a loading screen.

In New Vegas (The one I've played most), simply entering the smallest shack would prompt a loading screen. But in the Fallout 4 promotions, it seems that you wouldn't.

This makes a whole lot of difference in terms of "possibility".

The fiasco between Bethesda and Obsidian regarding royalties I hope does not impede a future collaboration.

If Bethesda didn't want to pay them, I'd say that's not a minor detail.

There's a myth that making any kind of money in game development is "too much". It needs to be put to rest.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved New Vegas, and I seriously hope Bethesda get Obsidian to do another Fallout spinoff. Many of the Obsidian guys were the original folks who made the original Fallout games, and I think they have the most right idea of the setting, and present it with more intriguing factions, plots and conflicts. And also how cool would it be to both explore the wasteland of the East Coast and the West Coast with the potential of another Obsidian Fallout game?

I think Obsidian should break away from Fallout all togeather and create its own post holocaust RPG game.

A part of why Fallout is so huge is the fact that it is one of a kind

You mean apart from the Wasteland series?

Why would Obsidian do a post nuclear holocaust RPG when there are so many other apocalypses, so many other Science Fiction settings, completely untouched? How about a revival of Dark Sun? How about something in the vein of Planet of the Apes or Waterworld, how about something on a different planet entirely?

Edited by Fardragon

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

I think Obsidian should break away from Fallout all togeather and create its own post holocaust RPG game.

A part of why Fallout is so huge is the fact that it is one of a kind

You mean apart from the Wasteland series?

Why would Obsidian do a post nuclear holocaust RPG when there are so many other apocalypses, so many other Science Fiction settings, completely untouched? How about a revival of Dark Sun? How about something in the vein of Planet of the Apes or Waterworld, how about something on a different planet entirely?

Im thinking something a bit closer to home that would run along the lines of a more real world scenario on a larger continental scale for the mass multi players, instead of a one city platform built for a one man army against a glorified AI

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Fallout 4 was announced, what are the chances that a new Fallout from Obsidian to come out?

I really liked New Vegas  because of the writing quality and quest/game design.

Josh Sawyer stated numerous time he would like to work again to a new Fallout game.

is there a petition to sign regarding this? :)

Aye, the fiasco stuff was sort of overblown, far as I remember. Though it would've been nice to see Obsidian have a bigger cashflow it was more of a negotiation issue than anything else. And Bethesda probably knows that most people by now recognize New Vegas as the better of the two games by most peeps.

• 5 months later...

Unless Obsidian were given permissions to make their Fallout more in line with their style (include traits, hardcore mode, rework the perk system to the old traditional one, old dialog system and no voiced protagonist, etc etc), I would honestly prefer they didn't as I fear making a good game with the resources at hand would be too difficult, and that really says something.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

There was a book series called "Deathlands" written by the group name "James Axler" that has a great post apocalyptic holocaust scenario that just ended its series of 125 books and graphic audio novles that would make a wonderful video game based on its story.

It is currently owned by Harlequin books llc.

If Obsidian wanted to create a new first person game, this would and should be the story it needs to be based off of and if it were done right, would blow the doors off the Fallout series. Imho

Edited by Argumedies