Expansion Suggestion #1: Wiz 8 Style Level Scaling

The latest stream mentioned there would be optional level scaling. While I am not a huge fan of it, I can see how it could be useful in a game like PoE. That being said, like all things, level scaling can be implemented in a variety of ways.

I would ask that you please refrain from Bathesda like crap level scaling. In that way, enemies have no level floor and they come down to your level. They also have no ceiling and even the lowliest ****roach can be formidable opponent when level scaled. This is the easiest way to implement level scaling but it also sucks really REALLY bad.

Please give monsters a bracketed level range. So, they have a minimum level and a maximum level. So, if a level one guy comes across a dragon, he's toast. If a level 12 guy fights  wolf, it wont be that bad.

So, for example, currently Adra Beetles are like level 8 I think. A bracket scaled Adra Beetle could be maybe level 8-11. If you come across the beetle at any point below 8, you are in trouble since 8 is its minimum level. If you hit it at 10, it will scale up to 10. If you hit it at 12, it will be a bit easier since its max level is 11 and you will have 1 level on it.

• Like 3

I don't like level-scaling either, but if it has to be in there then this is how I would want it done.  If I have invested the work to level myself up, I expect there to be a bonus to it not for the world to ignore it or even to give me a penalty: I should gain the ability to fight things I wouldn't normally be able to face and wipe the floor of petty muggers.  Oblivion actually fooked you over if you didn't game the system in fact, though that was also an issue with it's levelling mechanic as well (basically you wanted to ensure you mainly used non-class skills in order to minimise levelling until you had gained full +5 bonuses to the stats you wanted at level up).

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Agree with OP very much.

I'd like this kind of (optional) level scaling for the whole game.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

What I understood from Josh explanation level scaling is not so much scaling than level boost. So if your character is certain level or above then game will ask you if you want enemies in expansion pack maps to be scaled and if you answer yes then every enemy on those maps gets certain amount of additional levels added to their existing ones and after that there is no more level adjusting done to them. 

So this for example number additional levels that enemies get could be 5, which would mean that level one enemies become level six, level 5 enemies become level 10 and level 12 enemies become level 17 and level 14 enemies become level 19. Meaning that low level enemies will still be low level enemies compared to your character, but they will posses bit larger threat when they come as pack and high level enemies will actually be on higher level than your character even if you have maxed your level.

So in other words enemies will have minimum and maximum levels, but they don't actually never be anything from between those. Of course I may have misunderstood what Josh meant when he described the system in twitch's E3 coverage interview.

• Like 1

What I understood from Josh explanation level scaling is not so much scaling than level boost. So if your character is certain level or above then game will ask you if you want enemies in expansion pack maps to be scaled and if you answer yes then every enemy on those maps gets certain amount of additional levels added to their existing ones and after that there is no more level adjusting done to them. 

So this for example number additional levels that enemies get could be 5, which would mean that level one enemies become level six, level 5 enemies become level 10 and level 12 enemies become level 17 and level 14 enemies become level 19. Meaning that low level enemies will still be low level enemies compared to your character, but they will posses bit larger threat when they come as pack and high level enemies will actually be on higher level than your character even if you have maxed your level.

So in other words enemies will have minimum and maximum levels, but they don't actually never be anything from between those. Of course I may have misunderstood what Josh meant when he described the system in twitch's E3 coverage interview.

That's essentially right.

Actual bracketed scaling for PoE2, please :)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I hope level-scale don't ruin the game for level 12 combats.

I want to play combats like Lord Raedric and his guards. This was an interesting combat and is was well balanced.

I don't want to play hundreds of easy combats against repetitive groups of shadows, or beetles or easy foes, in which I didn't need to use spells or abilities to beat them.