PoE expansion: The White March part 1

Dude the comentors have zero idea about PoE.

"I have level 15 party..." what a ****************

Have you found a recording? I can't seem to find anything but the live stream which is over. How can I watch this? 

Link above to codex article - contains a link to twitch recording started at 5hrs 30 - start of PoE bit.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9947

http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/v/6281592?t=5h30m30s

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Have you found a recording? I can't seem to find anything but the live stream which is over. How can I watch this? 

Link above to codex article - contains a link to twitch recording started at 5hrs 30 - start of PoE bit.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9947

http://www.twitch.tv/twitch/v/6281592?t=5h30m30s

Thanks! OMGOMGOMG

Okay, my reactions to the Josh talk and gameplay video.

+ First of all, great that it's an TotSC style expansion, which means that the extra companions will be for the whole game. And ++ for new companions (plural).
+ Cool to add on the underwhelming Stronghold with some world reaction to your accomplishment. Good way to introduce a new quest aswell.
+ Nice with the party AI system.
+ Optional level scaling for the hardcores.
+ Multiclass skills looks interesting. 

- Not loving the snow theme, but w/e, it'll be cool to really see the graphics upgrades compared to Icewind Dale. :)

- Don't think level cap raise is needed. I fear for a sequel. If you start at lvl 14 with highlvl spells and only meet legendary foes, I'd be sad.

++++ And finally.. SNOW OGRE CANNONEER!!! HELL YEAH!!!

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 1

Excited!

So we finally get the missing rogue, barb and monk companions? ;)

If so, I hope they avoid the clichés of the rogue girl, brutish barb and the bald-headed monk. But there is a reason they dropped Forton, so I have my hopes...

Called it! Rogue girl (well okay, she's a robot) and bald-headed monk.

Geez. Get a bit more creative Obsidian! ._.

You think mixing it with the construct trope will improve on the age-old female rogue trope? You did so well on most of the original companions and now that.

Seriously, a construct companion is not unique or creative at all. In fact, the construct sidekick is almost a standard in RPG releases these days.

Grieving Mother was unique. Durance was unique. And both achieved that in a non-gimmick-y way.

... I already miss Chris Avellone's influence...

Edited by Zwiebelchen

Excited!

If so, I hope they avoid the clichés of the rogue girl, brutish barb and the bald-headed monk. But there is a reason they dropped Forton, so I have my hopes...

You think mixing it with the construct trope will improve on the age-old female rogue trope? You did so well on most of the original companions and now that.

Seriously, a construct companion is not unique or creative at all. In fact, the construct sidekick is almost a standard in RPG releases these days.

Grieving Mother was unique. Durance was unique. And both achieved that in a non-gimmick-y way.

Robots are cool...

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

I mean, seriously, this is so Bioware...

Writer: "So, I wrote this character that has all those inner demons to fight, but well, he hangs along anyway, because of some very good reasons that unfold throughout the story."

Lead Dev: "So... what's special about it?"

Writer: "Well, his conflict is actually pretty clever; it's abou- ..."

Lead Dev: "No, I mean... what is special about the character?"

Writer: "Umm, nothing, I guess; he's just an ordinary human, but his background - ..."

Lead Dev: "I got a cool idea! Why not make it a robot?"

Writer: "Huh? What? No! I mean; what should that add to the central theme?"

Lead Dev: "(turns to PR rep) A robot it will be!"

*applause fills the room*

Lead Dev: "Oh, another idea! Make it a female robot. You know, with them pointy metal boobies!"

Writer: "What, but this is just absurd, why should - ...? Ah, screw it..."

• Like 1

A metallic skinned Death Godlike or a robot?

If it turns out to be a robot will it be clockwork or something?  A more advanced Animat?  An experiment to produce a better animat goes wrong but the test subject survives...Captain America.

I can easily see the justification for metallic Death Godlike but not for any kind of automaton. The Animats are just mindless, even if they are soul powered.

I love you guys, no matter what they do there is always this huge population of people just looking to bash it.  Seriously admit it guys, if you are still on this forum there is only two reasons.  #1: You either love the game regardless of your ability to admit it.  Or #2: you are just here to bash it as much as you can cause your butthurt for some reason.

I am happy to see the expansion news regardless of the status of the companions.  It isn't like the companions were ever the main draw to the game to begin with.

• Like 7

Cool, I'll buy it. New story and companions are always welcome ofc and I'm sure they'll create some beautiful new areas :)

All the extra levels en abilities and such are not my cup of tea though. You hit harder, but monsters will be tougher. And after one or two new expansions, let alone a sequel, your characters will be achieving godlike powers and the enemies will have to become more and more absurd to match those. I never had any problem with the original BG only having somewhere around 7 levels or so.

I am very interested in how a robot would be developed in PoE.  Since powers come from the soul will it be at least partially made from Adra so that some soul essence can be infused into it?  There are some possibilities there I think.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

About Devil of Caroc being construct. Soul constructs aren't anything new in setting of PoE, as we know they seem to be quite main fighting force for Engwithans and Knights of Crucible are (possibly were) also starting to produce their own versions. So existence of higher functioning soul construct isn't anything that surprising in setting like this. Identifying it as female is something that probably need some explanation, but I would guess it would go something like this, its creator put strong soul from female individual in it, which lead to construct being able to remember souls past life and now it identifies as that person, or maybe it is case of Pinocchio, its creator wanted female companion and created artificial one, which eventually lead to point where constructs started identify itself as REAL woman. Or maybe it is bit both, its creator wanted to preserve somebody, which is why they made construct body that resembles that person and then they put their soul in that construct body, which lead to point where construct started to identify itself as that preserved person. And there is probably some plot twist that construct suffers from identity crisis or personality that come up was not one that it creator was after or something like that.

But anyway it is character that is somewhat easy to fit in the game's faith and soul theme, because you get to play around concepts like do artificial person have faith, what is such persons reaction towards information that gods are also artificial, how they thing about cycle of souls etc..

Zahua is much less interesting as he seems to be quite typical human companion, which we already have several in the game, which of course don't mean that he can't be interesting, because he probably will be, but I would liked to see them exploring races and cultures that we haven't seen yet.   

• Like 3

They did mention the setting being really depressing, which suggests they actually spent some time playing it.

1aw3tiY.png

I love you guys, no matter what they do there is always this huge population of people just looking to bash it.  Seriously admit it guys, if you are still on this forum there is only two reasons.  #1: You either love the game regardless of your ability to admit it.  Or #2: you are just here to bash it as much as you can cause your butthurt for some reason.

I am happy to see the expansion news regardless of the status of the companions.  It isn't like the companions were ever the main draw to the game to begin with.

well the only reason I continue to follow forum because of my muscle memory makes me. Years of following... but still I dont see a reason to hyped about this expantion but I would like to see this project end well, so I can continue play like these games for years to come. I would be much hyped If there is going to be complete overall remake (like enchanted edition thing) but I dont think It will come soon. Also I seen very few people who tried bashing most of the criticisms were well put concerns. 

Kana - "Sorry. It seems I'm not very good at raising spirits." Kana winces. "That was unintentional."

Writer: "So, I wrote this character that has all those inner demons to fight, but well, he hangs along anyway, because of some very good reasons that unfold throughout the story."

Writer: "Umm, nothing, I guess; he's just an ordinary human, but his background - ..."

Lead Dev: "Oh, another idea! Make it a female robot. You know, with them pointy metal boobies!"

Yeah, because Obsidian always makes down to earth companions...

Seriously -- soul constructs were a central theme in several important questlines in Defiance Bay, and there were also multiple encounters with characters who'd had their soul transported into inanimate objects like statues, thrones, etc. A companion like this is a great fit for the setting *and* for Obsidian's track record.

• Like 5

Shadow Thief of the Obsidian Order

My Backloggery

Excited!

No offense, but until you know about the character's personality, you can't really judge what the character's about based on the character gender (if this character even has a gender)?  

Edited by bonarbill
  • Like 2

- Not loving the snow theme, but w/e, it'll be cool to really see the graphics upgrades compared to Icewind Dale. :)

- Don't think level cap raise is needed. I fear for a sequel. If you start at lvl 14 with highlvl spells and only meet legendary foes, I'd be sad.

++++ And finally.. SNOW OGRE CANNONEER!!! HELL YEAH!!!

I'm with you on the snow them. I don't like them very much in any game, but I can live with that. Especially given the general overhaul of the game.

You second point begs the question if you played FNV. The level cap was raised there with every expansion and you were adviced not ot travel to any given new location before reaching a certain level. I was quite fine with that.

Edited by abaris