PoE expansion: The White March part 1

We really know little about the expansion.    It takes place in White March, it has another dying village, it has a special forge we need to get to and restore, the village is being attacked by an ogre clan, two new companions, some new monsters and cold climate remakes of prior monsters.     We need to possess the Stronghold but I do not recall anything being said about what state it is in.    Anything else that we actually know?

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I'd say 10 hours each! But wouldn't be sad if more.

10 hours is strictly DLC territory.  50 hours +, now that's an expansion I can live with.

50+ hours is a game, not an expansion. I took 70 hours for my first run.

Seriously, though, "hours" is a ridiculous measurement of game content.

Hours is indeed a ridiculous measurement of game content, but it's inherently pretty hard to gauge. If you can think of a better way, shoot. That being said, I don't consider 50+h "a game" in ©RPG terms. I think that 50h is a bit optimistic, but surely 30h. Since they chopped The White March into two parts, 20ish each would be about what I'd consider acceptable-ish.

But hoping for much more, of course.

am thinking that Gromnir is the one justified to be using the eye-roll emoticon (again), but if it makes you happy, knock yourself out.

HA! Good Fun!

I'm not surprised Strawnir would think that. laughing.gif

says the guy who can't figure out strawman or hypothetical? ah well, am guessing we embarrassed you one too many times... though you did to self, truth be told.  is more baffling that you don't even realize.

*chuckle*

[...] 

HA! Good Fun!

Strawnir, I don't think you could embarrass anyone but yourself even on your best day, anymore. I honestly and genuinely fear for you, as you seem to be deteriorating rapidly. See someone. :|

We really know little about the expansion.    It takes place in White March, it has another dying village, it has a special forge we need to get to and restore, the village is being attacked by an ogre clan, two new companions, some new monsters and cold climate remakes of prior monsters.     We need to possess the Stronghold but I do not recall anything being said about what state it is in.    Anything else that we actually know?

Well what we know gets down to how specific we're being here. We know a bit about the companions - one's a monk and another's a rogue. And we know a bit about 2.0, which sorta ties into the expansion stuff a bit.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

is more info.  for example, we know there is an option to level-scale the expansion encounters, but again, beyond the option itself, we do not recall where we got details.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Obsidian are going to have a panel at San Diego Comic Con 2015 this Saturday. (Link)

Moderated by Genese Davis (writer, The Holder's Dominion) join the award winning team at Obsidian Entertainment, Eric Fenstermaker, Josh Sawyer, Jorge Salgado, Kaz Aruga, and Bobby Null for a unique interactive experience where you, the audience get to participate in the process of creating part of the upcoming expansion for Pillars of Eternity: The White March - Part II.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

This just in:

Obsidian Entertainment to host unique panel at San Diego Comic-Con! Join the award winning team at Obsidian Entertainment, Eric Fenstermaker, Josh Sawyer, Jorge Salgado, Kaz Aruga, and Bobby Null for a unique interactive experience where you, the audience get to participate in the process of creating part of the upcoming expansion for Pillars of Eternity: The White March - Part II. Obsidian is going to make you, the audience part of the design process and walk you through what they do to create something in the game itself. This is a unique fun, opportunity for anyone who loves video games and wants to take a peek behind the curtain and help make the magic happen.

Saturday, July 11 • 7:30pm - 8:30pm
Room: 7AB
SDCC: http://tinyurl.com/ndurgxh

• Like 1

Ny understanding is the expansion as a whole will add two levels, not two levels per an expansion part.

That's my understanding as well. From level 12 to 14 for the whole expansion. It would be amazing to have 4 levels though.

I figured it's around 2 levels for part one since they have 10 tiers of spells in the spellbooks and chanters go much farther as well.

So I assume we would have 2 levels for part 1 and 2 levels for part 2. That means there would be 2 spell tiers left for another 4 levels to complete level 20 in the second expansion unless they have more expansions planned in mind.

Then again if things don't go well and they can't profit, things can be cut at any time. Given that they already put the framework for 10 tiers of spells, I would assume that was their future goals for the expansions. If every expansion is two levels then they would have to make 4 like the white march march to reach it judging by current patterns/level 20. Or make the other expansions pack a lot more content I suppose. Nothing is guaranteed though so no point in trying to predict it.

Edited by Dinky Dino

A second expansion that goes to level 20 could be amazing but to keep the game challenging at that point they would SO need proper bracketed scaling AND scs-grade enemy A.I. for all content.

• Like 1

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Obsidian are going to have a panel at San Diego Comic Con 2015 this Saturday. (Link)

Moderated by Genese Davis (writer, The Holder's Dominion) join the award winning team at Obsidian Entertainment, Eric Fenstermaker, Josh Sawyer, Jorge Salgado, Kaz Aruga, and Bobby Null for a unique interactive experience where you, the audience get to participate in the process of creating part of the upcoming expansion for Pillars of Eternity: The White March - Part II.

I just now saw that you beat me to it, sorry for posting about the same stuff.

What do you guys think will be made at the convention? One of the soulbound weapons? A new talent of sorts?

At least now we know that the add on probably won't be out until 2 weeks from now.

What do you guys think will be made at the convention? One of the soulbound weapons? A new talent of sorts?

Judging by the people attending, my educated guess would be a new area.

• Like 1

A second expansion that goes to level 20 could be amazing but to keep the game challenging at that point they would SO need proper bracketed scaling AND scs-grade enemy A.I. for all content.

Personally, I would prefer it if each expansion only added a single level, and that maxing out would require diligently cleaning the entire game of everything, but I can't disagree with what you're saying - especially that the higher we go, the more care must be taken.

PoE already suffers from the whole "Monday, random Peasant, Friday, slayer of dragons" ridiculousness.

t50aJUd.jpg

It worked for Luke Skywalker.

• Like 1

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Note that they're doing design for Part II of The White March, not Part I.

Whoa, that went right over my head. Thanks!

At least now we know that the add on probably won't be out until 2 weeks from now.

So back to desperately hoping that the add-on download will magically pop up any time now. *sigh*

developers like to say, "it will be done when it is done."  unfortunately, publishers don't live in the same world. publishers need release dates.  

personally, we would rather the developers make white march a quality release without over much concern for a specific release date.  is not a box item that needs shelf space.  even as a direct-to-consumer product, there won't be no physical production, so you won't need a release date in the conventional sense.  not need allocate distribution resources ahead o' time.  only reason we can see for a release date is 'cause fans who is wanting something, anything, will be mollified if they get to hear a release date that is other than remote. *snort* finish the development and then release.  announce release date and then (predictably) realize that development requires more time?  does that kinda thing happen?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Much as I am looking forward to the Expansion I would prefer that it be in good playable shape, not buggy and not requiring several patches to fix things.  One patch to fix those odd ball things that always arise when received by the masses. 

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I too am all for the devs taking the time they need to develop a quality expansion.

Don't get me wrong: I'm itching for the expansion as much as the next guy; but most of all, I itch for a quality product and I can certainly appreciate that quality takes time.

I already have a character concept in mind for my next play through when the expansion's out :p

• Like 1

Personally, I just want information about the expansion, the release date is not as important, even though I'm eager waiting as well.

If they released a list of talents, I could at least plan my characters in advance and have something to look forward to.

• Like 1