PoE expansion: The White March part 1

Maybe the developers need some German wrath?

The entire world needs some German wrath.

This would be so unfunny if you're this Luckmann

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Complaints_about_Gothemasticator's_ban_of_User:Luckmann

http://luckmann.deviantart.com/

I think we all should focus back on the game instead of discussing things that are not related to this forum.

• Like 4

article-2155159-13789E99000005DC-57_233x

Cousin It, I presume?

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

I'd say 10 hours each! But wouldn't be sad if more. 

10 hours is strictly DLC territory.  50 hours +, now that's an expansion I can live with.

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

10 hours is strictly DLC territory.  50 hours +, now that's an expansion I can live with.

50+ hours is a new entry imo. That's a lot of hours for an expansion.... hours I don't have :(

Also 50+ hours for 2 levels advancement wouldnt make it very funny to play.

am thinking obsidian is dooming themselves.  assume for a sec that the entire expansion were 30-40 hours.  that is better than we got outta totsc and much better than HoW.  is only a handful o' crpg expansions that we can recall having seen an expansion in the +30-40 hour range.

now, cut in half.

15-20 hours?  even if white march part 1 is excellent, that is only gonna anger folks 'cause they is gonna be disappointed in brevity rather quality.  yeah, a 30-40 hour expansion is a reasonable offering for an expansion, so 1/2 should be 15-20 hours, but am nevertheless believing that such a short offering is not enough.  is not fair for us to demand a +40 hour expansion, but if we play white march part 1 and finish in 18 hours, am expecting we will feel unfulfilled... even if that feel is complete unfair.

am glad that obsidian wants to get part 1 released soonish, but...

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

In the E3 interview Josh Sawyer mentions level 14 in connection with the Part 1 Expansion.  This makes sense to me since talents and spells skip levels so you would need two levels to round out your characters.  That does not mean you will be level 14 at the end of the expansion play but I think you will be able to get two levels if you do everything possible.  Example: if you enter White March at level 7 you could be level 9 when you finish.

Edited by Nakia

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I guess if there is enough exp to raise from 12 to 14, then this means more than 7 to 9.

12 to 14 should be about 25k exp while 7 to 9 is only 15k exp.

Then again, I think the maingame has some excess exp after reaching 12, so that may be needed as well to get to 14.

I guess the main problem with the optional scaling of the expansion is that it sounds like we can't get the companions of the expansion on a low level for the base game and then do the high level scaled expansion at the end of the game.

Edited by Doppelschwert

In their preview of patch 2.0, Aloth had access to 7th-level spells; those only come at level 14, so I guess part 1 will get you to that level.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

In their preview of patch 2.0, Aloth had access to 7th-level spells; those only come at level 14, so I guess part 1 will get you to that level.

not necessarily.  in more than a few gameplay previews for poe, the obsidians were playing max level characters, regardless o' the inappropriateness o' such a level for the given content.  we wouldn't read too much into the videos.

regardless, if the expansion increases the level cap, then am suspecting that without playing any additional content you could reach level thirteen, or better, simple by playing a completionist run o' the core game areas. get less than 2 full levels from the additional content would not surprise us in the least.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Ny understanding is the expansion as a whole will add two levels, not two levels per an expansion part.

What we know is that Part 1 will add 2 levels. I would be very surprised if Part 2 does not add another 2 levels.

Pleasantly so, but still.

It might sound like nothing, but 2-4 levels in a game intended at it's base for a cap of 12, where the levels range from important to outrageously strong, it's actually massive. Especially unless they're going to change and individualize spellcasting progression based on class, because 2 levels means Rank 1-3 spells as Per Encounter; 4 levels means Rank 1-4 spells as Per Encounter.

Imagine casting every single Druid spell, your choice out of the entire Ranks, 4 times per Rank, for Ranks 1 through 4. Out of all the mechanical oopsies in the game, this one stands out as the biggest snafu in terms of progression, I think.

not necessarily.  in more than a few gameplay previews for poe, the obsidians were playing max level characters, regardless o' the inappropriateness o' such a level for the given content.  we wouldn't read too much into the videos.

regardless, if the expansion increases the level cap, then am suspecting that without playing any additional content you could reach level thirteen, or better, simple by playing a completionist run o' the core game areas. get less than 2 full levels from the additional content would not surprise us in the least.

HA! Good Fun!

Well even if that's true, it doesn't really change anything. When the cap is increased to 14, or later 16, does it really matter if the levels are gained from the expansion content or from the main content?

That said, there's something else we should be considering, and that's the possibility of changed level brackets. There's been several throught-through suggestions and discussions regarding the increase of experience needed to level, and that the curve should be adjusted upwards, making each level progressively harder to reach.

With some luck, that could end up being implemented into 2.0, meaning that it won't be so ridiculously easy to make it to level 12 in a single playthrough of the main game anymore, and maybe, even if the level cap is raised by 2 for each part, the actual content in the expansions won't carry you all the way.

Maybe the developers need some German wrath?

The entire world needs some German wrath.

This would be so unfunny if you're this Luckmann

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Complaints_about_Gothemasticator's_ban_of_User:Luckmann

http://luckmann.deviantart.com/

ᵍᶫᵒʳᶦᵒᵘˢ ᵖᶜ⁻ᵍᵃᵐᶦᶰᵍ ᵐᵃˢᵗᵉʳ ʳᵃᶜᵉ

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

HA! Good Fun!

Well even if that's true, it doesn't really change anything. When the cap is increased to 14, or later 16, does it really matter if the levels are gained from the expansion content or from the main content?

actual, we suspect it matters to some folks.  read the posts in this thread and you will see that some folks appear to believe that the expansion will offer enough material to level 2x.  so, what if that ain't true?  what if even at level 6 or 7 you do everything and it results in only a single level-up?  we already see a few guesses of gameplay hours for white march part 1 that exceed any crpg expansion we can recall playing.  

as for guesses about adjusting level progression... hypothetical changes, eh?

am doubting that the obsidians make any major changes to the way xp is provided.  for whatever reason, the obsidians were confident that they understood how much xp were available in the game and they believed that it would require a completionist the entire game to reach level 12.  they were wrong.  however, we will note that the rather simple expedient o' cutting the bounty awards in twain had a significant impact-- the number o' folks claiming to reach the level cap before chap 3 largely disappeared. 

we do not foresee a major overhaul forthcoming. am of the opinion that the current xp scheme is less than ideal, but am also suspecting that obsidian has much on their plate.  a simple and quick solution would be our first choice, even if such a choice would not be perfect. reducing bounty awards worked to reduce the perceived xp problem.  make further reductions in the side-quest material to achieve the desired goal o' slowing level progression is a simple solution.

yeah, we agree with matt516 regarding level progression, but from a practical pov, we would be surprised if the obsidians changed the xp scheme as a whole. 

HA! Good Fun!

HA! Good Fun!

actual, we suspect it matters to some folks.  read the posts in this thread and you will see that some folks appear to believe that the expansion will offer enough material to level 2x.  so, what if that ain't true?  what if even at level 6 or 7 you do everything and it results in only a single level-up?  we already see a few guesses of gameplay hours for white march part 1 that exceed any crpg expansion we can recall playing.  

as for guesses about adjusting level progression... hypothetical changes, eh?

am doubting that the obsidians make any major changes to the way xp is provided.  for whatever reason, the obsidians were confident that they understood how much xp were available in the game and they believed that it would require a completionist the entire game to reach level 12.  they were wrong.  however, we will note that the rather simple expedient o' cutting the bounty awards in twain had a significant impact-- the number o' folks claiming to reach the level cap before chap 3 largely disappeared. 

we do not foresee a major overhaul forthcoming. am of the opinion that the current xp scheme is less than ideal, but am also suspecting that obsidian has much on their plate.  a simple and quick solution would be our first choice, even if such a choice would not be perfect. reducing bounty awards worked to reduce the perceived xp problem.  make further reductions in the side-quest material to achieve the desired goal o' slowing level progression is a simple solution.

yeah, we agree with matt516 regarding level progression, but from a practical pov, we would be surprised if the obsidians changed the xp scheme as a whole. 

HA! Good Fun!

Exactly that; so what? Why would it matter, in the context of what AndreaColombo said, whether you gain enouch experience for levels 12->14 in the expansion alone, when the expansion alone clearly wouldn't be necessary? Currently, I'm absolutely convinced that you could easily reach level 13 in the main game alone, maybe even level 14, provided that the necessary experience needed continues to increase by established formula.

That being said.. I'm not disagreeing with you. I think the game could really use significant experience tweaking, but I don't think they're going to do it. It would really help, but.. I just don't think they will. It could cause major gripe with some people. Like you say, they evidently though they had a handle on it, but they didn't.

And to me, much of the issues with the current experience doleouts and brackets isn't so much the amounts, but the pacing. You overlevel content in the game significantly. Simply adjusting the bounties haven't solved that at all; and the easiest way to deal with it would be to scale necessary experience upwards, exponentially.

t50aJUd.jpg

eh?

we already responded to colombo specific. 

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/80306-poe-expansion-the-white-march-part-1/?p=1711459

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

am thinking that Gromnir is the one justified to be using the eye-roll emoticon (again), but if it makes you happy, knock yourself out.

HA! Good Fun!

I think I over estimated my guess on XP available from the expansion.  As I recall Josh said that the expansion will be available 1/3 through the game which means based on my experience it could be as low as level four or five.  Just guessing though.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I think I over estimated my guess on XP available from the expansion.  As I recall Josh said that the expansion will be available 1/3 through the game which means based on my experience it could be as low as level four or five.  Just guessing though.

our memory on this point is vague, but for some peculiar reason, we recall level 6 as having been mentioned in context o' the optional expansion scaling.  the expansion would be balanced for levels 6-whatever, but the scale option could increase that range.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps  regardless, am believing that the expansion is accessible as long as you have the stronghold, yes?

Edited by Gromnir

am thinking that Gromnir is the one justified to be using the eye-roll emoticon (again), but if it makes you happy, knock yourself out.

HA! Good Fun!

I'm not surprised Strawnir would think that. :lol:

That being said, we've heard such estimates before, such as when the stronghold can be acquired. For all we know, "1/3" to Josh means as soon as we get the Stronghold or reach Act 2. "1/3" is very unclear.

t50aJUd.jpg

50+ hours is a game, not an expansion. I took 70 hours for my first run.

Seriously, though, "hours" is a ridiculous measurement of game content.

• Like 3

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

HA! Good Fun!

I'm not surprised Strawnir would think that. :lol:

says the guy who can't figure out strawman or hypothetical? ah well, am guessing we embarrassed you one too many times... though you did to self, truth be told.  is more baffling that you don't even realize.

*chuckle*

we will stay on-topic by noting that honest don't recall where we heard mention o' appropriate levels for the expansion or that the expansion is accessible from the point one acquires the stronghold.  am s'posing we could do a search...

"Seriously, though, "hours" is a ridiculous measurement of game content. "

true, but it is an inevitable yardstick.  after HoW, black isle stopped mention o' any kinda specific reference to hours o' gameplay.  nevertheless, if fans and interviewers keep asking for estimates in terms o' hours o' gameplay, the developers will eventual blunder into making such an estimate. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir