PoE expansion: The White March part 1

According to Steam I have sunk 136 hours into PoE.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

The expansion was $20 for backers so it must be at least $25 when it ships (that's for both parts together, not each.)

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

20 hours seens mighty optimistic to me. It took me about 50 hours to completely finish the main game, so i'd guess it will take at most 5 hours for each episode for me.

Nevertheless, since the add-on increases replayability, I will start over again, so replaying the game in 60 hours is more than enough to keep me occupied for a long time given my time available for video games.

You beat the game in about 50 hours? I took in the range of 100 hours minimum, playing on PotD on a completionist playthrough.

So 20 hours per part seems realistic to me. The main game was incredibly long for a game released in 2015.

According to Steam I have sunk 136 hours into PoE.

Steam has me at 146, which seems pretty high. I've played through to completion once, and started three or four other games to check out different character builds. 

I did some quick research into how Steam calculates hours, and couldn't find a definitive answer. My guess is that Steam "rounds up" minutes played at a certain point to the next hour. I have absolutely no evidence for my hypothesis, nevertheless I believe it, and as a result am going to start a religion on that basis. 

Also, when trying to figure out how much time I'll spend on a game, I can generally double the average amount of hours people on forums relate as having spent. I assume that's because a lot of hardcore gamers under-report how much time it took them to finish a game, and because I am old and slow.  

I will absolutely be purchasing both expansions; I enjoyed the game quite a bit. 

With Steam if you click Play and then go to get a snack or walk the dog, whatever, without actually starting to play Steam counts that time.  This I have verified.  Even using the Game Save figure is not completely accurate because if you pause the game real time keeps running while you answer the phone, door or stop the kids from killing each other.  Thus going by Steam playtime may be longer and going by Save game time it may be shorter.  I would go by save game time rather than Steam time.

For me I will rate the game play time for each expansion as follows.

Less than ten hours for one playthrough = unacceptable

Ten or twelve hours                                 = acceptable

More than twelve hours                           = Awesome

This is based on my play style which is slow, a lot of careful reading and some thinking time, maybe even "I'll try it this way, no I didn't like that." reload prior save and try a different way.

• Like 2

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

You answer the phone whilst playing PoE?!!!

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Ok, truth to be told, I lied a little in the 50 hours estimate. I actually have 45 hours clocked in at the last boss, and I skipped these things:

Companion quests for half the companions, the last 3 stages of the endless paths, raedric part 2 and half of the bounties.

I saved half the companions for my second playthrough and I simply missed raedric part 2. Regarding the paths and bounties I actually waited for a couple of patches to fix some talents I took before I wanted to tackle the more demanding combat encounters. I think some issues are still not fixed, so this keeps being on hold.

Maybe I was a bit optimistic when I assumed this can be done in 5 hours, but even then 10 hours should be more than enough to get to a total of 55 hours.

My game is from gog - I assume if the reloads are in the steam estimate of gaming hours, mine would be higher as well. But this is the time my save states, and the difficulty is 'only' hard, not PotD.

Even then, just going by the number of maps I would be surprised if the first episode could have enough maps to get close to 10 hours. Again, it doesn't matter since the change are attractive enough to warrant a new playthrough. Maybe on PotD this time. :)

Edited by Doppelschwert

You answer the phone whilst playing PoE?!!!

:facepalm: It could be my nephew calling to check up on me and he gets upset if I don't answer.  Truth be told I use headphones and half the time don't hear the phone.  

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

It's very hot in Deutschland right now, and I need The White March NOW! Give me ice and snow! As someone who enjoyed the IWD-Games far more than BG, I can't wait to get my hands on the expansion. On the other hand I'd like to travel the Valian Republics, too. 

Edited by Eisenheinrich
  • Like 2

It's very hot in Deutschland right now, and I need The White March NOW! Give me ice and snow! As someone who enjoyed the IWD-Games far more than BG, I can't wait to get my hands on the expansion. On the other hand I'd like to travel the Valian Republics, too. 

I am currently in Germany, and all I can say is kill me. Get me a swimming pool of snow so I can bathe is slush.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

I am currently in Germany, and all I can say is kill me. Get me a swimming pool of snow so I can bathe is slush.

I'll spend all saturday on the Northsea, as will half of the population of northern germany. But today was a workday and I had to change my wardrobe two times during the day. It's not the heat per se, but the humidity that drives you nuts. So, as I said above: Give us that icy expansion already! 

• Like 1

It's pretty sticky in London too, but not as bad as it was on Wednesday.

I'll spend all saturday on the Northsea, as will half of the population of northern germany. But today was a workday and I had to change my wardrobe two times during the day. It's not the heat per se, but the humidity that drives you nuts. So, as I said above: Give us that icy expansion already!

Absolutely. I'm in the vicinity of Hamburg (Uelzen to be specific) and there was even a bit of rain today, even though it's warm as hell. When did Germany become the tropics? D:

t50aJUd.jpg

Absolutely. I'm in the vicinity of Hamburg (Uelzen to be specific) and there was even a bit of rain today, even though it's warm as hell. When did Germany become the tropics? D:

Ah, Uelzen! The pearl of Lower-Saxony. No, not for real, but the train station is by Friedensreich Hundertwasser, famous austrian architect and artist. 

Edited by Eisenheinrich

Ah, Uelzen! The pearl of Lower-Saxony. No, not for real, but the train station is by Friedensreich Hundertwasser, famous austrian architect and artist. 

My friends, if you want heat and humidity, come to New Orleans. 

On another note, with a 2-part expansion, where do they go with a level cap for the sequel? Apart from one notable fight, things were pretty easy by the time I'd reached the end-game. I trust they can balance the game for any level character, but I also assume that the farther into the game you get, the harder it gets to balance. If I'd not done side-quests etc., I'd have been 2 levels lower by the time I got to the end of the game. Seems like that would be a problem that would only get worse from the developer's perspective...

In New Orleans, people are used to it, and houses have air conditioning.

Leipzig hier. The amount of Sauerkraut in this thread is disturbing. ;P

Currently dying at 40 degrees in the office...

My sympathies. London is back to normal now.

Maybe the developers need some German wrath?

• Like 3