PoE expansion: The White March part 1

It was possible to get it as an add-on during the Kickstarter.

It has not been otherwise made available for purchase yet, but I guess it will in short order.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Agreed. You can either go for a standard fantasy archetype, in which case you will be slagged off for being unoriginal, something totally off the wall, like a kobold bard or gelatinous cube Wizard, in which case you get slagged off for being too way out, or you can try and create realistic ordinary folk, in which case you get slagged off for being boring. There is no "Win" option here.

You know; there are some other numbers between 1 and 100.

It's perfectly possible to not deliver a fantasy stereotype while still having an interesting character that is not a super-special unique snowflake in every way imaginable.

I mean, come on, why does it have to be a bald male monk? Couldn't it have been like a non-bald male monk? Or a female monk? It's like they didn't even try.

GM and Durance are perfect examples of how you can have a weird character without giving him a super-gimmicky premise like being a construct. The female dwarf hunter was also a nice change to the male melee dwarf cliché without going completely over the top in design. Why not more of this? Why go into extremes now all of a sudden when we managed to walk the fine line of "middleground between cliché and ape**** crazy" so well?

Edited by Zwiebelchen
  • Like 1

Everyone has there own definitions of cliche and "far out". So, a character that might score a 50 for YOU may be a 1 or 100 for someone else.

I would say GM is pretty extreme, with her caul and all, just as gimmicky as a construct*, and Durence manages to be both extreme AND a stereotype. I liked Sagini, but I know an awful lot of other people thought she was boring.

And as far as I can see, the monk has a receding hairline, like myself and a great many other men over the age of 30, not the shaven head associated with monks. (which I don't see as a problem anyway, a vast number of real life monastic orders from different cultures shaved their heads). We had a gimmicky monk in NWN2, and he was AWFUL**!

The bottom line is it doesn't matter in an NPC is archetypical or far out, so long as they are well written. Personally I like to see a wide range.

*Given that constructs, animancy, and soul transference feature so prominently in the main plot, it seems a perfectly reasonable theme to examine in greater depth.

**Of course, all the NPCs in the NWN2 OC where awful, so I guess he fit.

Edited by Fardragon
  • Like 2

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Agreed. You can either go for a standard fantasy archetype, in which case you will be slagged off for being unoriginal, something totally off the wall, like a kobold bard or gelatinous cube Wizard, in which case you get slagged off for being too way out, or you can try and create realistic ordinary folk, in which case you get slagged off for being boring. There is no "Win" option here.

A kobold (or in the case of Pillars, a Xaurip) wizard would actually be rather cool...

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

You know; there are some other numbers between 1 and 100.

It's perfectly possible to not deliver a fantasy stereotype while still having an interesting character that is not a super-special unique snowflake in every way imaginable.

I mean, come on, why does it have to be a bald male monk? Couldn't it have been like a non-bald male monk? Or a female monk? It's like they didn't even try.

GM and Durance are perfect examples of how you can have a weird character without giving him a super-gimmicky premise like being a construct. The female dwarf hunter was also a nice change to the male melee dwarf cliché without going completely over the top in design. Why not more of this? Why go into extremes now all of a sudden when we managed to walk the fine line of "middleground between cliché and ape**** crazy" so well?

I don't know about the whole thing about the monk. Edér is just another peasant-gone-fighter, and he's easily one of the most well-written and interesting characters in PoE in my opinion, precisely because he's just some guy and practically a walking fantasy trope on a very basic, fundamental level. And he's fine like that. And Eric Fenstermaker is wrote him, and he's the one that's writing the new monk. So I have high hopes.

That being said, I do agree; Grieving Mother and Durance are perfect examples how you can have a weird character without giving him or her a super-gimmicky premise like being a construct. I can't say I'm a fan of that. I wasn't a fan of Sagani, and some of the primary criticism of Sagani was that she was just too bland, and didn't feel engaging. So maybe now Carrie Patel is pushing too hard in the other direction, I don't know. I think that's a mistake, though, and that Sagani could've been an interesting character.

Characters doesn't need to be outlandish or have crazy gimmicks, they just need to be people, interesting people and good people in bad places.

I think we should wait with declaring the new companions cliché until we've met them and talked to them. And yes, Zahua clearly isn't bald.

I dunno. Golem-inhabited-by-the-soul-of-a-murderer-and-oh-look-evul-rogue-I'm-evul-look-at-me-oh-I-won't-kill-you-you-are-interesting-to-me already feels pretty snowflake-y.

I don't think anyone is declaring them cliché or condemning them yet, as much as showing some warranted concern.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

A kobold (or in the case of Pillars, a Xaurip) wizard would actually be rather cool...

Or a Xaurip bard named Dêh-kûhn. How awesome would THAT be!

Edited by Eisenheinrich

Or a Xaurip bard named Dêh-kûhn. How awesome would THAT be!

I never really got into the kobold bard from NWN, despite it being a kobold and me always wanting kobold characters.  Dunno why, it was cute but it was missing something, some 'Kobold-Factor'...

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

Characters doesn't need to be outlandish or have crazy gimmicks, they just need to be people, interesting people and good people in bad places.

Yes, thank you! I'm not that good with words, so I had trouble putting my thoughts in one statement. But this sums it up pretty good.

But I got to admit I really liked Deekin. I wouldn't mind a cameo. Maybe because I'm reading too much "Order of the Stick" lately...

On the other hand, I never liked any of the construct companions in all other games I played. Except for Legion in Mass Effect.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

A Xaurip monk, with a mutation that causes them to be completely covered in hair, because any hint of hairlessness on a monk is obviously a cliche.

Eder is very much a trope breaker, on the grounds that he ISN'T the true heir or chosen one...

Edited by Fardragon
  • Like 1

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Eder is definitely a trope breaker.  He is a simple farmer, my brother, my friend, the guy I want guarding my back.  The one person I trust with my life.  Plus he loves soft, furry things.  :yes:

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I think the thing about Eder is he is a really well written nice ordinary guy character. But life would quickly get dull if every companion was a nice ordinary guy.

• Like 3

article-2155159-13789E99000005DC-57_233x

A Xaurip monk, with a mutation that causes them to be completely covered in hair, because any hint of hairlessness on a monk is obviously a cliche.

Eder is very much a trope breaker, on the grounds that he ISN'T the true heir or chosen one...

article-2155159-13789E99000005DC-57_233x

Make it so that he is also better with weapons than unarmed, particularly non-eastern weapons, and I'm there.

Using clichés don't prevent writers making interesting and and entertaining characters or stories.

For example David and Leigh Eddings specialized on intentionally picking common fantasy clichés, tropes and archetypes and writing stories based on them. They had quite successful career on doing that.  

When writer decides to use common cliché, trope or archetype in their story it gives instant familiarity for reader/watcher/listener and then writer can keep their audience on their toes by just breaking that cliché, trope or archetype or building that said cliché, trope or archetype even more, because such tricks make audience realize that their stereotyping was wrong and when writer succeed in doing that they have succeed in making character interesting and if they can keep doing such tricks through the story they can keep their audience interested.

• Like 1

Pretty hyped. Don't know why they decided to split it in two though (gotta get them dollas holla holla $$$). Seriously hope they don't charge 20$ for each part.

Also looks like soulbound items will FINALLY have pen and ink drawings!

Px5pAyP.png

Edited by mindswayer
  • Like 2

I hate Unity.

$15 for each, $30 for the complete set would be ideal imo. Then the backers get it at a reduced price ($20) and immediately so there's a sizable benefit to having backed.

We'll see, though.

That makes me wonder : Wouldnt it be illegal to sell an unfinished product since each part is not the full product? 

$15 for each, $30 for the complete set would be ideal imo. Then the backers get it at a reduced price ($20) and immediately so there's a sizable benefit to having backed.

We'll see, though.

That makes me wonder : Wouldnt it be illegal to sell an unfinished product since each part is not the full product? 

It is not, you only need to tell in box that product is supplement product that needs some other products to work.

• Like 1

It is not, you only need to tell in box that product is supplement product that needs some other products to work.

Yeap.  A certain company I won't name seems to think releasing a fished product is a bad idea and always releases their games in parts over the course of months or even a whole year.  No one seems to care when they do it so why not Eternity try it's hand too?

WTH is durgan steel?

Funny... Did they watch RoahmMythril on YouTube or one of his Streams?

Durgan is a variation of Dragon we used on his channel for ages, since he was always yelling "Durgan!" when he played with friends. They started calling him a Durgan and it sticked with that.

That's the only way I know about it. Don't know if anyone else came up with that idea xD

Yeap.  A certain company I won't name seems to think releasing a fished product is a bad idea and always releases their games in parts over the course of months or even a whole year.  No one seems to care when they do it so why not Eternity try it's hand too?

There's nothing wrong with episodic content in itself. TV shows are structured like this and I don't see anyone up in arms about it. While I prefer binge watching/playing, the only real fault of that company are untimely releases of new episodes.