PoE expansion: The White March part 1

Uhh, the hype! Great that they add more companions, and atleast 2 new ones. It will improve the overall game. I don't care for the lvl cap thou. I think it's already too high for a first game, if dragons are for a lvl 10-12 party, then they need some big ass monsters in a sequel. 

if dragons are for a lvl 10-12 party, then they need some big ass monsters in a sequel. 

Don't worry about that. The progression would probably expand to: Wyrm -> Drake -> Dragon (different types) -> Big ass mother****ing Dragon -> Cthŵlhŵ  :p

• Like 4

Nothing gold can stay.

So again a wintery place, again no jungle or desert, or archipelago, or anything of the sort.

Will you be able to import characters from your current game or must you build a new character?

It'd be really weird if you couldn't, as this is an expansion, not a sequel, and the trailer starts off from Caed Nua, rebuilt by "you." So yeah, I think it's safe to assume that we can continue playing with our current characters.

Although current companions probably will not show their faces as their story arcs are finished in ending slides. Which is why I hope to see at least five new companions in expansion.

Just because their story can be finished in the main game doesn't mean they can't appear in the expansion.  They did say the expansion will be similar to Baldur's Gate TotSC.

All hints in trailer point out that expansion will be set after main campaign, as Caed Nua is restored and stories of it has been reached quite remote place. They also claim that expansion has more writing than original game, so it gives more feeling of Mask of Betrayer or Throne of Bhaal type expansion.

• Like 1

According to this article on Rock Paper Shotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/17/pillars-of-eternity-expansion-the-white-march/

The expansion does indeed start a new storyline after the events of the first game.

It will be interesting to see if it really is as big as to have non-linear sidequests and exploration on top of the story.

Also, it will be interesting to see if some old companions will stick around, and which ones (all of them?)

But more importantly: Will I get my black gothic plate? XD

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I pay for this:

2ij0ksy.png

I only get first part?????

The first expansion pack should be comprised of all parts of The White March. The White march is the first expansion, and that's what we get. There might be more thou... 

• Like 1

According to this article on Rock Paper Shotgun: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/17/pillars-of-eternity-expansion-the-white-march/

The expansion does indeed start a new storyline after the events of the first game.

I'm not sure where they got the info, to be honest. Maybe I missed it at the presentation, but the trailer and the press release don't mention that at all.

I guess the original companions are gone, since their stories are finished when beating the main game. Therefore new companions.

I was thinking the same.

IIRC, the only companions that actually remain in the Dyrwood area after the end of the game are Edér and Aloth (am I missing anyone?), so they are the only ones that could potentially make a comeback in the expansion if it takes place afterward (and IF areas in Dyrwood remain accessible, which they probably should if everything starts in Caed Nua; but then, will the game remember whether you killed Raedric? Will it remember whether Edér's become mayor of Dyrford? Lots of reactivity challenges right there.)

This also changes the size and scope of the expansion a bunch. I doubt you could justify spending the time and resources on developing 5-6 new companions for a 20-hour game of the size and scope of Tales of the Sword Coast (then again, the fact they split the expansion in two parts already suggested it would end up being bigger than anticipated.)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

So again a wintery place, again no jungle or desert, or archipelago, or anything of the sort.

Will you be able to import characters from your current game or must you build a new character?

It'd be really weird if you couldn't, as this is an expansion, not a sequel, and the trailer starts off from Caed Nua, rebuilt by "you." So yeah, I think it's safe to assume that we can continue playing with our current characters.

Although current companions probably will not show their faces as their story arcs are finished in ending slides. Which is why I hope to see at least five new companions in expansion.

At least 5 new companions? Never! Not if they are as good as the existing ones. I have never seen a char that was much better than Durance or the Mother.

But yes, I hope I am wrong... :-)

IIRC, the only companions that actually remain in the Dyrwood area after the end of the game are Edér and Aloth (am I missing anyone?), so they are the only ones that could potentially make a comeback in the expansion if it takes place afterward (and IF areas in Dyrwood remain accessible, which they probably should if everything starts in Caed Nua; but then, will the game remember whether you killed Raedric? Will it remember whether Edér's become mayor of Dyrford? Lots of reactivity challenges right there.)

This also changes the size and scope of the expansion a bunch. I doubt you could justify spending the time and resources on developing 5-6 new companions for a 20-hour game of the size and scope of Tales of the Sword Coast (then again, the fact they split the expansion in two parts already suggested it would end up being bigger than anticipated.)

Given that they pulled it off with FNV, which was comissioned by Bethesda, I'm pretty confident they can pull it with their very own baby.

I'm not sure where they got the info, to be honest. Maybe I missed it at the presentation, but the trailer and the press release don't mention that at all.

I think  WorstUsernameEver has a point.  The trailer gives us very little information.  It probably depends how the blend the Expansion into the original game.  Hopefully there will be some improvements to the original game included.

• Like 4

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

If the expansion pack's party-based AI system and any other essential 'enhancements' (single player stealth for example) are retroactively applied to the base game then PoE might not stay a PoS.

Strong words, but the 'inferior' Infinity Engine has more going for it even today in terms of RPG functionality than PoE's version of Unity 4 has, including a party AI system which nearly every RPG in the past 30 years has had except PoE. I forsee user created/modifyable AI scripts will be impossible because of 'reasons'.

Also, Wasteland 2's devs realized that Unity 4's character models are horrible and will re-release their program on Unity 5. Will PoE also upgrade to Unity 5?

If the expansion pack's party-based AI system and any other essential 'enhancements' (single player stealth for example) are retroactively applied to the base game then PoE might not stay a PoS.

Josh Sawyer has stated that all mechanical game features that comes with the expansion will also be added to the base game, no matter if you own the expansion or not. I do not know if this also applies to the higher level cap or the abilities, but I think you will need the expansion for that.

Also, Wasteland 2's devs realized that Unity 4's character models are horrible and will re-release their program on Unity 5. Will PoE also upgrade to Unity 5?

From what I have been able to gather from the developers, it seems unlikely, at least with this expansion.

I have a different question for those of us that pre-ordered through KS, which I didn't think of until now.  My KS tier included two digital copies of PoE and the disk.  I added $20 for the expansion, will I only get a digital key for one expansion or two?  What about the DRM free disk?

Certainly sounds good.   Really good.  So it actually takes place during the current game after you complete Caed Nua.  The game will check your level and you can scale up if you wish.  Excellent.  

• Like 1

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg