PoE expansion: The White March part 1

Interesting. I wasn't expecting any new companions in the expansion, so one would have been a lot already ... but we get new companions, so two at a minimum (waiting for someone else to say, "CADEGUND CONFIRMED!" :p)

Really looking forward to this!

EDIT: according to this article, new companions include a rogue and a monk and there will be a party-based AI system too.

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Interesting.. "Part 1" does feel episodic but...

The article I read said "a whole lot more Eternity with more companions, a level cap increase, more dialog, etc. It will be more than the first game."

If there's actually more content in The White March: Part 1 then the base game then this must be a hell of long story arc they're building.  If I'm getting 70 hours out of it .. like I did base game playthrough, then that doesn't feel so episodic.

Is the party-based AI coming for the original campaign as well?

Most probably. It's an expansion, probably within the same client I suspect so why it shouldn't be?

With improved AI some Sawyer like person might think every encounter needs to be tested and rebalanced.

But I'm not pointing any fingers.

Edited by kirottu

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Interesting. I wasn't expecting any new companions in the expansion, so one would have been a lot already ... but we get new companions, so two at a minimum (waiting for someone else to say, "CADEGUND CONFIRMED!" :p)

EDIT: according to this article, new companions include a rogue and a monk and there will be a party-based AI system too.

Nice video clip in that article.  Doesn't reveal a whole lot, but enough to wet the appetite.  

New companions:  I hope that for starters this means that it'll provide companions for the classes that didn't have companions, i.e. rogue, monk, and barbarian.

As for the location, I foresee a trip to a cold, wintery sort of place in the mountains.  Don't forget to pack your long johns.

Also, it seems to me that with a higher level cap, it seems to me that the final battle of PoE ... heck, the entire final act of PoE after you pass the point of no return (those who have completed the game already know what point I'm talking about) ... will have to be made a lot harder to accommodate/challenge a party that's a few levels higher.

And I sure hope that they include a "Hold Position" action/button like existed in the old IE games.

As for the location, I foresee a trip to a cold, wintery sort of place in the mountains.  Don't forget to pack your long johns.

New gameplay feature; make camp before party freezes to death : p

• Like 1

Nice intro video! I was hoping for 3 new companions. Every thing like the main game but just more. I wonder who did the writing if CA left Obsidian. Really strange! More writing does not mean "very good writing". So I wonder how it will be. And most important: I hope the extensions will be without major bugs. How much does one had to pledge to get the extension? And higher level cap and all what comes with this is appreciated as well. This makes the game more epic. I am sure there will be a pen & paper rule book some day...

Edited by lightblade75

The pledge for the expansion was $20.

CA didn't really do much writing for PoE. Eric and Carrie did the bulk of it, that I know of.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Nice intro video! I was hoping for 3 new companions. Every thing like the main game but just more. I wonder who did the writing if CA left Obsidian. Really strange! More writing does not mean "very good writing". So I wonder how it will be. And most important: I hope the extensions will be without major bugs. How much does one had to pledge to get the extension? And higher level cap and all what comes with this is appreciated as well. This makes the game more epic. I am sure there will be a pen & paper rule book some day...

I should note that afaik MCA's role in Pillars was more supervisory than hands-on (although he wrote Durance and Mother at least), so I suspect his absence wouldn't affect the expansion all that much and writing in it will be consistent with the original in terms of quality.

Nothing gold can stay.

So again a wintery place, again no jungle or desert, or archipelago, or anything of the sort.

Will you be able to import characters from your current game or must you build a new character?

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Also, it seems to me that with a higher level cap, it seems to me that the final battle of PoE ... heck, the entire final act of PoE after you pass the point of no return (those who have completed the game already know what point I'm talking about) ... will have to be made a lot harder to accommodate/challenge a party that's a few levels higher

Or they could do it after that final battle.

• Like 1

Pillars of Bugothas

Excited!

So we finally get the missing rogue, barb and monk companions? ;)

If so, I hope they avoid the clichés of the rogue girl, brutish barb and the bald-headed monk. But there is a reason they dropped Forton, so I have my hopes...

I'm totally fine with a snow setting. Feels like Icewind Dale 3 to me.

And it's great they confirmed the stronghold in the trailer to come back. Improved stronghold mechanics incoming!

According to this interview: http://www.hardbloxx.de/2015/06/12/pillars-of-eternity-interview-mit-josh-sawyer/2/

Josh is pretty much aware of the most critical issues, so I think we will see them all adressed in the exp:

Josh: We’re all very happy with how it has been received. I did not think it would review as well as it did (it’s the highest-rated game I’ve worked on), but I’m glad people are enjoying it. The most frequent complaints focused on bugs, the lack of party AI, the shallow depth of the stronghold content, reduced combat challenge in the late game, and the pacing of the first act of the story. I think those were all reasonable criticisms.
Edited by Zwiebelchen
  • Like 1

So again a wintery place, again no jungle or desert, or archipelago, or anything of the sort.

Will you be able to import characters from your current game or must you build a new character?

It'd be really weird if you couldn't, as this is an expansion, not a sequel, and the trailer starts off from Caed Nua, rebuilt by "you." So yeah, I think it's safe to assume that we can continue playing with our current characters.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

It'd be really weird if you couldn't, as this is an expansion, not a sequel, and the trailer starts off from Caed Nua, rebuilt by "you." So yeah, I think it's safe to assume that we can continue playing with our current characters.

Plus, the game engine leaves a lot of room for expandability anyway. Accuracy and Deflection can basicly be scaled upwards endlessly, due to the linear progression of stat vs. counter stat. And even the spells are mostly pretty basic so far. Even the sixth level druid and wizard spells aren't particulary impressive to me.

The only thing that is worrying me are chanters and ciphers. Ciphers will probably continue using only two spells (mental binding, ectopsychic echo), but with more and more starting focus we will get into trouble eventually. Chanters are basicly the reverse: more expensive invocations and even slower phrases will only make the class suck harder.

Edited by Zwiebelchen
  • Like 1

Although current companions probably will not show their faces as their story arcs are finished in ending slides. Which is why I hope to see at least five new companions in expansion.

Although current companions probably will not show their faces as their story arcs are finished in ending slides. Which is why I hope to see at least five new companions in expansion.

Just because their story can be finished in the main game doesn't mean they can't appear in the expansion.  They did say the expansion will be similar to Baldur's Gate TotSC.

Edited by bonarbill