Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NON-Obsidian South Park RPG Sequel Announced!

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 714 posts

It was their most successful game, no?

Not by a long shot.

"It was their most successful game, no?"

Not even close.

Name 4 more succesful Obsidian games.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 8625 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

It was in development for too long and likely had a more bloated budget than many other Obsidian titles, so that means the profit margin was cut into.

Games that likely were more profitable:

FO:NV

KotOR 2

NWN2

PoE

Dungeon Siege 3 also probably pulled in a better profit, given the small team and short development time. 

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2329 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'd suspect Ubisoft did OK out of it, while it took a long time a lot of that time/ money was put into it under THQ and Ubi bought it from them for only 3.2M$. On the other hand, no next gen version suggests it didn't sell well enough to justify them financing that version.

That list is probably right though, except perhaps PoE and that hasn't been out long.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16970 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

"Name 4 more succesful Obsidian games."

Changing the game already?

The claim was that it was their 'most successful game'... and, now, you ask for 4 more... LMAO

"PoE"

L0LZ

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 714 posts

"Name 4 more succesful Obsidian games."

Changing the game already?

The claim was that it was their 'most successful game'... and, now, you ask for 4 more... LMAO

"PoE"

L0LZ

I didnt change the game because I didnt said it was the most succesful one.

I asked you guys to back up your claim.

"Not by a long shot" and "not even close" is hardly apropriate term for one of three most succesful games of the studio.

Edited by Sharp_one, 18 June 2015 - 08:43 PM.

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 714 posts

It was in development for too long and likely had a more bloated budget than many other Obsidian titles, so that means the profit margin was cut into.

KotOR 2
NWN2
PoE

Dungeon Siege 3 also probably pulled in a better profit, given the small team and short development time.

Nope. Check your facts. Only PoE and Fallout were better.

Edited by Sharp_one, 18 June 2015 - 08:45 PM.

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 8625 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Are you talking about quality or success?  The two are not the same.

I believe that PoE has been more profitable than South Park for Obsidian.  But without clear numbers, it is definitely just conjecture.  

• Bartimaeus likes this

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2911 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
PoE was likely more profitable than all of their prrevious games because they get a cut/most of each sale of the game, vs not getting paid for other games after development finishes.
  • ShadySands likes this

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8908 posts

Curious whether developing Russian shovelware is enough to keep afloat, though.

• Nepenthe likes this

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

Royal Bug Catcher of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So really what's the deal here... why no Obs? Why another dev, making the same quality questionable and cashcow liklier.

They can't seriously turn it down to work on a World of Tanks-clone now, is it? That would be a sad day for RPG-fans... the RPG-developer saying no to RPG to work on some crappy F2P clone.

Gizmo

Gizmo

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 846 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Smart move by Mr Urquhart, never alienate those whom you may work alongside someday.

Whenever I mention this of any developers; [usually Obsidian though], people are incredulous of that, and it seems absurd to them.
I've never understood why something so obvious is deemed so unlikely, by so many... aside from the fact that they are usually trying to discredit an argument by flinging contrary developer statements at it.

Labadal

Labadal

Janitor of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3816 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

So really what's the deal here... why no Obs? Why another dev, making the same quality questionable and cashcow liklier.

They can't seriously turn it down to work on a World of Tanks-clone now, is it? That would be a sad day for RPG-fans... the RPG-developer saying no to RPG to work on some crappy F2P clone.

It's an internal studio. Probably cheaper for Ubisoft.

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

• Members
  • 5637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

But they seem to be using the same engine... which IIRC was Obsidian's inhouse engine, right.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2329 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They're almost certainly using Ubisoft's in house 2d engine rather than Onyx. The look of the engine is the look of the TV series and that isn't difficult to mimic since they have the base resources from the TV series available, as well as any graphics resources Obsidian developed. Ubisoft does have a pretty good 2d engine- used for Child of Light and a Rayman game plus a supposed forthcoming PoP title- of their own available, there's no reason they'd licence Onyx as it would be unnecessary expense.

Hassat Hunter

Hassat Hunter

• Members
  • 5637 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Actually, didn't Obsidian remark how hard it was to actually make the game look as crappy as the animated series?

Also I doubt you could easily port of resources of one engine to another.

Though you do have a point on them having some good looking 2D games on the market already of their own creation.

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1842 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

KotOR 2

NWN2

PoE

http://www.gamespot....c/1100-6434743/

Ubi paid 3.3 million dollars for the game + whatever expenses they had afterwards and according to that article the game has sold 5 million copies now. I imagine the game was quite profitable for Ubisoft in the end.

• Hurlshot likes this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

• Members
  • 8625 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

KotOR 2

NWN2

PoE

Ubi paid 3.3 million dollars for the game + whatever expenses they had afterwards and according to that article the game has sold 5 million copies now. I imagine the game was quite profitable for Ubisoft in the end.

Man, that article really shows little respect to the work Obsidian did.  "This will be better because we made it in house."  Bleh.

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2911 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

KotOR 2

NWN2

PoE

Man, that article really shows little respect to the work Obsidian did.  "This will be better because we made it in house."  Bleh.

The way I read it was that because it is in house they are more comfortable with it, where Stick of Truth was pretty much finished when Ubi bought the rights. So by doing it in house they have more control over the process. I understand the position. Obsidian were hand picked by Matt and Trey because of their specific talents and experience though, so I don't see how a new studio could do much better. I think its entirely possible that the sequel could do better than Stick of Truth. Matt and Trey have more experience making a game now, plus Stick of Truth showed that a South Park game can be excellent, after nothing but terrible licensed stuff previously, and developed a pretty big audience over time, the sequel can build on that.

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16970 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Obsidian: The new BIO.   Other companies making sequels to their old games.. though, ti sound slike Obsidian didn't have a choice here or did they? Did Obsidian choose to pass on it or did they get ... FIRED...?

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2545 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I don't think they were ever hired to get fired so I doubt they had any choice