NON-Obsidian South Park RPG Sequel Announced!

UBISOFT® AND SOUTH PARK DIGITAL STUDIOS ANNOUNCE SOUTH PARK™: THE FRACTURED BUT WHOLE™

Follow-Up to Critically Acclaimed South Park™: The Stick of Truth™ Confirmed 

LOS ANGELES — June 15, 2015 — Today, at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), Ubisoft® and South Park Digital Studios announced that South Park™: The Fractured but Whole™, a sequel to 2014’s award-winning South Park™: The Stick of Truth™, is currently in development. Players will once again assume the role of The New Kid and join South Park favorites Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman in a new hilarious and outrageous adventure. 

Developed by Ubisoft San Francisco, South Park: The Fractured but Whole will enable players to delve into the crime-ridden underbelly of South Park with Coon and Friends. This dedicated group of crime fighters was formed by Eric Cartman, whose superhero alter ego, The Coon, is half man, half raccoon. As The New Kid, players will join Mysterion, Toolshed, Human Kite, Mosquito, Mint Berry Crunch and a host of others to battle the forces of evil while Coon strives to make his team the most beloved superheroes in history. 

Ensuring another truly authentic South Park experience, creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker are involved in every step of the development of the game. 

“The success of South Park: The Stick of Truth proves our fans crave a deeper interactive experience with South Park,” said Dan Yang, EVP and GM, Consumer Products, Viacom Music & Entertainment Group. “Working with Ubisoft to extend the South Park gaming franchise will no doubt galvanize the audience’s interest across all platforms.” 

“By successfully mixing outstanding comedy with excellent gameplay, South Park: The Stick of Truth created a game genre: the Comedy Role-Playing Game,” said Laurent Detoc, president at Ubisoft. “Our teams worked hard, laughed hard, and players loved it so we’re back to collaborate on the fantastic world created by Matt, Trey and the talented group at South Park Digital Studios with South Park: The Fractured but Whole.” 

South Park: The Fractured but Whole will be available for Xbox One, PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Windows PC.

The slam dunkers have been slam dunked!

Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 1

Well, guess that's good - company will get revenue.

Whoops, thought that was NEW not NON.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Unless Obsidian have been bought out by Ubisoft as part of their San Francisco studio?

If so will they all have to dye their hair and crawl up their own rectums?

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Obsidian Entertainment is "super excited" about a new South Park role-playing game The Fractured But Whole despite not being involved.

"We are super excited to see another South Park game getting made and can't wait to play it ourselves," CEO Feargus Urquhart told me in an email.

It was Obsidian that made South Park: The Stick of Truth, a game we Recommended. What's more, it was Obsidian that South Park originally sought out and pitched the idea to - a story Urquhart regaled me with a while ago. Sounded like a bond formed between Obsidian and South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone along the way.

But the project would never have aired had Ubisoft not bought the rights from a sunken THQ, and then delayed the game allowing crucial extra development time.

Ubisoft has put Rocksmith 2014 developer Ubisoft San Francisco in charge of South Park: The Fractured but Whole. Trey Parker and Matt Stone announced the game on Ubisoft's E3 2015 stage, suggesting they're somewhat involved. They had a big hand in making the first game so memorable - the gags were stronger than the gameplay. So perhaps it won't matter that Obsidian isn't on board. After all, the template for a game is already there.

But where does that leave Obsidian - an independent studio lest you forget?

"As you probably know," Urquhart told me, "we are working on a bunch of stuff right now and, internally, are coming close to 200 people working on games.

"Armored Warfare [tank MMO] is looking great, hitting more than 15K simultaneous people playing it last week; [the Pillars of] Eternity [Expansion] has a ton of cool new things; and we'll have a couple of fun things to announce in the next few months."

The Pillars of Eternity expansion we expect to hear more about this week at E3 - today, we hope.

Armored Warfare is the bread winner at Obsidian as it stands - an unusual free-to-play machine-based MMO departure for the studio bankrolled by Russian company My.com.

Obsidian had been in dire straits before the Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter campaign launched, it transpired recently, but fortunes appeared to change thereafter.

Whether any of this has anything at all to do with studio co-founder and iconic game developer Chris Avellone leaving Obsidian recently is unclear - maybe even far fetched.

Smart move by Mr Urquhart, never alienate those whom you may work alongside someday.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Well, it's kinda obvious he would say that. You don't really ever have to ask that question. Only dumb people would complain and throw feces, as - like written above - it would burn bridges you might not want to burn yet.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

So what you're saying is that this wouldn't have been the right approach?

https://youtu.be/3eGJOqMHsDI

Disclaimer: I purposely made this a link and not embedded it as there is profanity in the title, not to mention the clip itself.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm surprised Obsidian didn't get a shot at the sequel.  The first one seemed to be a hit and was well received.  Usually you'd think they'd only lose the chance at making a sequel if the original bombed.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

what I want to know is what engine this new game is using

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'm surprised Obsidian didn't get a shot at the sequel.  The first one seemed to be a hit and was well received.  Usually you'd think they'd only lose the chance at making a sequel if the original bombed.

Well, cause they only got a 7 on Gamespot obviously.

Fortune favors the bald.

My primary interest in Stick of Truth was Obsidian (having never watched a South Park episode).  Not sure without that Obsidian name that the game holds much appeal (although I guess slightly more appeal because I played Stick than had it never existed).

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

My primary interest in Stick of Truth was Obsidian (having never watched a South Park episode).  Not sure without that Obsidian name that the game holds much appeal (although I guess slightly more appeal because I played Stick than had it never existed).

Same.  I'm not a big South Park fan, so the *only* reason I picked it up was because Obsidian developed it.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"I'm surprised Obsidian didn't get a shot at the sequel.  The first one seemed to be a hit and was well received.  Usually you'd think they'd only lose the chance at making a sequel if the original bombed."

Maybe they passed on it? Afterall, BIO passed on both NWN2 *and* KOTOR2.  Yeah, Obsidian isn't at BIO's 'level' success wise (barring FO:NV) but perhaps they didn't feel the need to do a sequel.

Or, UBI wanted to save money so kept in with in the 'family' so to speak.

It doesn't have to be 'UBI hates Obsidian and thinks they suck' storyline.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I'm surprised Obsidian didn't get a shot at the sequel.  The first one seemed to be a hit and was well received.  Usually you'd think they'd only lose the chance at making a sequel if the original bombed."

Maybe they passed on it? Afterall, BIO passed on both NWN2 *and* KOTOR2.  Yeah, Obsidian isn't at BIO's 'level' success wise (barring FO:NV) but perhaps they didn't feel the need to do a sequel.

#2 seems more likely.  No offense to Obsidian, but I doubt they're at the point financially where they can turn down a project like this.

#2 seems more likely.  No offense to Obsidian, but I doubt they're at the point financially where they can turn down a project like this.

While that might be true, they also might not have enough workforce to work on the title and can't really accept the offer.

Hate the living, love the dead.