I know this question has probably been done to death, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer anywhere on the forums or by searching on Google. I have read both that it does or doesn't run on xp. I obviously know that it is not supported just from the system requirements page but...

but will this game run on windows xp or not?

Yes, it can "run" on XP... but not without issues. I can happen that game will crash sooner or later and you are unable to proceed due to memory constraints. This can also happen with 32 bit versions of newer versions of Windows OS.

If you want to play the game, run it on 64bit Windows Vista / 7 / 8.1 or Linux.

Ok, thanks guys. Looks like I am not buying this game, because I hate windows 8 and don't understand Linux. (Apple is ok, but their proprietary rights are very annoying.) I am kind of disappointed because I thought that the game would be supported for older systems when I first looked into it a year or so ago.

Ok, thanks guys. Looks like I am not buying this game, because I hate windows 8 and don't understand Linux. (Apple is ok, but their proprietary rights are very annoying.) I am kind of disappointed because I thought that the game would be supported for older systems when I first looked into it a year or so ago.

Yea, too bad you didn't go to Win7 when you could have...you'd be getting Windows 10 for free on July 29 2015, direct from Microsoft.  In any event, if you can't use a 64-bit OS it looks like you're going to be out of luck in many games anyway, especially in the future.  Even the lowly game consoles are running  64-bit OSes these days.  Good luck!

Edited by waltc

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

and don't understand Linux.

that's what I used to think before I tried Ubuntu and Mint -> They're not all that different from running XP.

There are one or two things that might need looking up, but you can install a version from within windows (installs like a windows program, deleted just as easily, but isn't a virtual machine - it's a real linux install) to check it out.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

or search for 'mint4win' for a mint version.

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

and don't understand Linux.

that's what I used to think before I tried Ubuntu and Mint -> They're not all that different from running XP.

There are one or two things that might need looking up, but you can install a version from within windows (installs like a windows program, deleted just as easily, but isn't a virtual machine - it's a real linux install) to check it out.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

or search for 'mint4win' for a mint version.

What is Ubuntu and mint? Is it an operating system like windows xp? Or a program that runs in xp? I'm not sure I understand the link you posted, because it says it is officially supported by windows, and that doesn't seem to make sense. Googling Ubuntu brings up Linux software operating system, which doesn't seem to go along with your post.

Ubuntu and Mint are are based on Linux. They are distibutions who create installation versions of linux. Think of them as manufacturers of different linux flavours.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28operating_system%29

The Wubi thing is a way to install Ubuntu linux on your PC like a normal programm when you are in Windows. It's officially supported by the Ubuntu manufacturer.

Wubi is just the installer of Ubuntu via XP. Basically what you will have then is a dual boot installation. When you turn on your PC, you will be asked, which OS you want to boot. XP or ubuntu linux.  Then you have both linux and Win XP on your PC.

In the long run you can decide if you want switch over to Linux entirely or upgrade a newer version of Windows. e.g. Win 10.

Usually that depends on the programms you want to run and your budget.

Ubuntu and other linux version have also live DVDs. Then you can boot Linux from the DVD without the need to install anything on your PC, if you want to check it out first how it looks and feels.

• Like 1

^What Aurelio said. I was suggesting you try it out to see if you can get along with it.

If you find it easy enough, you could get the game then.

Make sure your hardware can run the 64-bit OS (again, try it out for yourself, see what performance you get).

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

this thread is going in redundant direction without OP posting specs, say if there is only 4GB ram installed, getting a 64bit os has very little use.

My laptop has 4GB RAM (and i3) and is running Win7-64 just fine. (Though I play PoE on my desktop with 8GB RAM and a better processor)

If there's LESS than 4GB, I'd agree.

My laptop has 4GB RAM (and i3) and is running Win7-64 just fine.

i dont understand what you are trying to say and what is it you are agreeing with.

You said having only 4GB RAM might make 64-bit OS a bit pointless - I'm suggesting otherwise - only if it's less than 4GB might I agree.

It depends on the rest of the setup too, of course.

The thread isn't going in a redundant direction as you said - it's going in an unknown direction.

If we knew OP couldn't run 64-bit, it would be more redundant (though checking out Linux on 32-bit is still worthwhile to see if you like it).

I'm not sure if my computer is capable of running 64 bit at 4GB of RAM or not, haven't ever bothered to check because XP can't run anything greater than 2GB anyways. It's a 2.2ghz duo core processor--was top of the line when I purchased it 6 1/2 years ago--and it still runs fantastic. Now it's considered antiquated, not even 7 years later. That was after vista had come out and 7 was either just on the horizon or just barely out, so I specified tigerdirect.com to send me the latest with XP professional on it. I had hoped that windows would have learned to make an operating system in the past seven years, but I guess my hope was fallacious.

I know that there are extra spots in the tower for more ram, and of course, I could just put in larger chips. But it's all a little pointless--if I'm going to change OS entirely, then I would want to get a newer computer with a newer processor, because I still like XP, and I still have older games that I play in XP, such as Oblivion and Baldurs gate and even some old dos based games, like Bloodstone: An Epic Dwarven Tale (am I dating myself here?).

I know a few of those old games still have support for newer systems, but most of the ones on my pc don't. That may be why Wubi is the way to go, but it would still require some form of hardware upgrade. And an OS change.

Plus I may not be able to play any of the other new(er) games that I've had my eye on. Skyrim was the last one I looked at before I gave up hope. Then I saw PoE and I was like "whoah! Maybe there is a new game out there for me!" Unfortunately it sounds like it was just false advertising.

Download Speccy to know everything about the PC. A 6yo PC that was not a budget model or a notebook at the time of purchase back than shouldnt have any problems running the game provided you tweak XP to access 3GB ram. But if you want a guarantee that it will run, im afraid noone can give it. Memory usage of the game is about 1.7GB over here so no crazy values so you should be safe with 3GB. Dont bother with all that 64bit talk, the point of it is for the OS to access more than 4GB and that rig only has 4. The game itself is 32bit.

edit: actually Steam offers refunds now, im not sure if PoE is in the program, but that would give the possibility to try and see.

Edited by roller12

• 5 years later...

Apologies for necro-ing a thread, but none of the replies given actually addressed the original poster's question.

Pillars of Eternity *will* run on Windows XP and can be completed without problems - the only requirement is a modification to the boot.ini file as noted in this support article (specifically to add the /3GB switch and I would recommend the /userva=2900 switch also to minimise the downsides of /3GB - most important for software that uses PAE to access memory above 4GB).