The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Rosbjerg

I don't know if I could cope without the minimap, at least not until I know the game well. I dunno exactly why but I feel less spatially aware in 3rd person games, if there was a first person mode I'd disable minimap in a heartbeat.

I think there are several settings you can toggle on and off regarding the mini map, like the gold "Follow me!" trail (which I especially dislike).

Few years back I would say the same, but if I now imagine to play the game without minimap and quest arrow, I'd probably stop playing right away. It's like games today forgot how to convey quest related information in a good way. If I disable this stuff, I just run around like a headless chicken, not know where to go and who to talk to. Either because the quest npcs or quest descriptions lack details or because the gameworld is too big and ugly to navigate.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I far prefer the way Ultima 7 did it twenty years ago, logical directions, a focus on exploration, signposts and a paper map in the inventory that you could consult along with the sextant to determine your position. It gave one the freedom of exploration if venturing off the beaten path, but also a simple method of finding ones way, and only becoming lost in a good way. Far better than the insulting Skinner box design of today quest markers. Then again that was one of the best gameworlds ever created, and still has not been matched in my opinion.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Funnily enough, amazingly designed worlds are still created Witcher 3 is an example, but world design in Skyrim is absolutely stellar ... Once you disable the compass. The entire thing is filled with both conscious a unconscious markers thrown around the entire gameworld subtly leading you towards various points of interest, yet 90% of players won't get to see any of that as they follow the black markers towards closest dungeon/town. And yet, the most memorable moments for me was finding a ton of tiny locations which told little stories and were not even marked on the map at all. Skyrim's world design is genius - betrayed by the game's requirement for accessibility.

• Like 1

Not sure why one would want to randomly explore in Witcher 3 though, unless you fancy fighting hordes of nekkers/drowners every ten steps.

There are some ruins, fortresses and islands marked on the map that could prove interesting, but why venture into random wilderness at all.

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

When I was taking a shortcut to a quest in Skellige and forced by 4x4 mustang to travel offroad, I ran across a small, desolate hut. When I decided to investigate, I found a letter with a small story and a treasure map inside. No map marker there - just a picture to lead me, and I wonder if the story will continue. So I got back on horseback and ran across a cave in which I thought I'll find the quest. So got in and all I did find was a bard who fell in love with a hag who I then proceeded to murder. That's why you randomly explore in Witcher 3.

• Like 3

There are random encounter quests that you can only find through exploration. I was playing a couple of weeks ago and found a humorous quest in Skellige on a small island (with no fast travel option) and an NPC gave me a quest to find books to, in a really roundabout way, convince his girlfriend's family to let them marry. Some of these are small and meaningless (like the dozens I can think of in Skyrim) others are have more meat to them or are more challenging.

Just looking at the map, you can't find them.

• Like 1

Not sure why one would want to randomly explore in Witcher 3 though, unless you fancy fighting hordes of nekkers/drowners every ten steps.

There are some ruins, fortresses and islands marked on the map that could prove interesting, but why venture into random wilderness at all.

I'm finding lots of interesting content dotted around, unmarked.  Fair enough there are a lot of enemies but they've all been low to mid level so far, not much trouble.

The answer is simple. You don't.

90% of the stuff worth exploring in this game either has a road lead up to it, or is visible from one. Monsters stay away from roads.

Three drunk witchers dressing up in Yennifer's clothes...so much fun   :lol:  Though I realised soon after that I've ploughed the MQ a bit too hard, the game asked me to rally my allies for battle so I've gone back a few saves and started doing more side quests.

Three drunk witchers dressing up in Yennifer's clothes...so much fun :lol: Though I realised soon after that I've ploughed the MQ a bit too hard, the game asked me to rally my allies for battle so I've gone back a few saves and started doing more side quests.

Yeah, that was probably the single best entirely unrelated cut scene ever.

• Like 1

I love how reactive the game is. Not only do the abandoned settlements get reoccupied by friendlies when you kill monsters/bandits occupying them, after noticing that a bandit camp I have cleared in Velen was filled with refugees when I happened to return later on, I started noticing these things a bit more - apparently, people repopulate a lot of locations that you clear, shrines get frequented again when they're safe etc. That's a really nice touch, makes you feel like you've left your mark on the game's world.

I have defeated DRM in Witcher 3.

I can't fault that quest because the references were subtle but I still dislike when media starts using references. It just takes me out of the story.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Just did the battle at Kaer Morhen and then wiped out the hags and that elven dude, still having a blast. Now I'm back at Novigrad and there's been a wee bit of a purge, I'm guessing this is my fault for not doing anything about Radovid :-

If it was a purge of non-humans then that's the result of helping Triss with the mages.

***SPOILER***

No matter if you helped her or not, there's still a purge either of non-humans or mages.

*end game spoilers*

Finished the main quest and found it pretty damn satisfying.  I'd say my biggest disappointment was finding out that the Wild Hunt are just a bunch of cosplaying elves with Goa-uld voice masks.  The twist that they're also trying to prevent apocalypse didn't sit right with me, they're portrayed as ice wraiths ffs, you even get a glimpse of the future where the White Frost has engulfed everything and the Wild Hunt hounds are everywhere...

Ultimately all sins are forgiven because of the charm and humanity of the journey, I wasn't really thinking about plot issues towards the end, I just wanted to set things right, with violence  :bat:

• Like 1

*end game spoilers*

Finished the main quest and found it pretty damn satisfying.  I'd say my biggest disappointment was finding out that the Wild Hunt are just a bunch of cosplaying elves with Goa-uld voice masks.  The twist that they're also trying to prevent apocalypse didn't sit right with me, they're portrayed as ice wraiths ffs, you even get a glimpse of the future where the White Frost has engulfed everything and the Wild Hunt hounds are everywhere...

Ultimately all sins are forgiven because of the charm and humanity of the journey, I wasn't really thinking about plot issues towards the end, I just wanted to set things right, with violence  :bat:

Well it is who they are in the books. :) 

*end game spoilers*

Well it is who they are in the books. :)

Oh I suspected as much, it just seems like they were mishandled here.  I'm thinking it's time to read those books.

*end game spoilers*

Finished the main quest and found it pretty damn satisfying. I'd say my biggest disappointment was finding out that the Wild Hunt are just a bunch of cosplaying elves with Goa-uld voice masks. The twist that they're also trying to prevent apocalypse didn't sit right with me, they're portrayed as ice wraiths ffs, you even get a glimpse of the future where the White Frost has engulfed everything and the Wild Hunt hounds are everywhere...

Ultimately all sins are forgiven because of the charm and humanity of the journey, I wasn't really thinking about plot issues towards the end, I just wanted to set things right, with violence :bat:

The Wild Hunt wasn't a reveal; it was common knowledge not just from the books, but also the second game. I can't think of anything in W3 that implied they were anything else. Avallac'h is openly said to have been an Aen Seidhe and used to work with the king of the Wild Hunt.

I can't think of anything in W3 that implied they were anything else. Avallac'h is openly said to have been an Aen Seidhe and used to work with the king of the Wild Hunt.

Anything other than their entire presentation?  :huh:  I get that long time readers/players will know the history of the hunt but as a new player I feel like they pulled a bait and switch here.  I'm not completely bent out of shape over it, I just think they could have fleshed it out better for us noobs.

I find the Wild Hunt pretty disappointing. There's no real interaction with them - they're absent for much of the story and so they don't leave much of an impression. The Ladies of the Wood on the other hand... ugh!

They're even more vague about the White Frost, if I hadn't read a certain in-game book I'd have been dumbfounded by Ciri's actions at the end.