The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Rosbjerg

I just started a Death March run and am going to try and search all areas knowing I'll need the fear and loot, and after about an hour am quite enjoying the challenge associated with this difficulty and am curious how it'll go for the next few hours.

Higher difficulty essentially just gives you less room for error and ... That's it, really. I found the beginning to be far too difficult (I didn't actually have trouble with dying too much, but every encounter being absolutely deadly felt tiring after a while) and then, at some point, the game suddenly got way too easy. I think Witcher 3 is a prime example of why is limited level scaling not always a bad thing. Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

Currently testing out the School of the Roach Edition mod? Quite crashy as befits beta but i'm liking the changes it brings.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

- Brand new "Encumbrance System": Gone are the days when Roach's saddlebags magically allowed Geralt to carry around a dozen suits of armor in his pockets. Every object in your inventory will weigh you down, slowing your movements and making it harder to swing your sword, use your Witchers' signs, and even walk around. But don't worry, because we have...

- Real, working saddlebags: That's right! You can store all that loot in your saddlebags, attached to Roach. Simply press a hotkey when you're close to your stalwart, equine companion and it will bring up your Stash/Saddlebags. Put all those goodies in there and let Roach do the carrying.

- Realistic horse-whistling: You will only be able to call Roach when Geralt is close to a fast travel signpost, a city or village, a campfire, or in eye shot of the mare herself. You'll need to actively bring Roach along on your adventures if you want to make use of all she has to offer.

The mod sounds awesome, except for these things. These look so irritating.

While I see the point of these changes, I can't shake off the feeling they would annoy me very much.

/Edit: "Economy overhauled: Like in the books, Geralt will always be poor. You want that new custom armor you just found a schematic for? Sure, but prepare to have it cost you. Things cost a lot more now, and crafting new armor isn't a simple matter of 30 gold."

This is a thing I never really liked in games. From reading this, I imagine it this way now: You'll never buy / craft expensive armor, because you feel the next better armor might be right around the corner.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

While I see the point of these changes, I can't shake off the feeling they would annoy me very much.

/Edit: "Economy overhauled: Like in the books, Geralt will always be poor. You want that new custom armor you just found a schematic for? Sure, but prepare to have it cost you. Things cost a lot more now, and crafting new armor isn't a simple matter of 30 gold."

This is a thing I never really liked in games. From reading this, I imagine it this way now: You'll never buy / craft expensive armor, because you feel the next better armor might be right around the corner.

While I like punishing encumbrance levels in games with a survival theme it'd just frustrate the hell out of me here.

• Like 1

I have to admit that these are exactly the changes i've been wanting in the game since the beginning, it was the absence of these features that was frustrating me. I do hope that this mod is continued and if CDPR do an Enhanced Edition or make extensive changes for their forthcoming expansions/dlcs, that such a mod might be implemented in a similar fashion to the Hardcore mode/Mr Sawyer's mod in New Vegas. Then again I have peculiar tastes.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Majority of the changes mod proposes are exactly what I want of the game - especially lifting of ridiculous level requirements on items, scaling of higher/lower level enemies to artifically make leveling feel more powerful, there's a massive amount of stuff the mod seems to have gotten right. I can't imagine playing the game without summoning horse on a whim or while moving slower than I should tho since I feel like there's already way too much pointless running around in TW3. Then again, I can certainly see how could even the three changes I have quoted make the game more immersive.

Just made it to Skellege I'm impressed so far, the Nordic culture is refreshing after so much time on the mainland.  I do think it's a shame the world had to be split up but Skellege alone is bigger than Skyrim so I can't complain too much.

Quests are still interesting, I especially enjoyed the necromancy scene with Yennifer, she's dark...I'm starting to regret sending Triss away :p  

Most of those question marks in the sea are loot. They're not worth the time to track them all down at that point in the game. After you've leveled up four or five levels it will greatly increase your chances of finding higher level loot, and then it's worth checking out a few.

Most of those question marks in the sea are loot. They're not worth the time to track them all down at that point in the game. After you've leveled up four or five levels it will greatly increase your chances of finding higher level loot, and then it's worth checking out a few.

I was considering a mod to remove the question marks, though not quest marks as I don't think I'd find anything without them.  I can't imagine running around clicking on every NPC like I do in most RPGs, there's just too many.

I was considering a mod to remove the question marks, though not quest marks as I don't think I'd find anything without them. I can't imagine running around clicking on every NPC like I do in most RPGs, there's just too many.

Regarding the NPCs, at least CD didn't name each and every NPC like they did in W2. Now all you have to single out are NPCs with unique names to find quests.

I think I've almost done the main Skellege quest but there's a quivering ton of side content waiting.  Really enjoying Skellege, this should have been the entire game if you ask me  :lol:

I have to admit I still think that the game might well have benefitted from choosing one area and focusing upon it more robustly, for instance I would have loved to see a siege progressing in No Mans Land, skirmishes between Redanians and Nilfgaardians and whatnot, or Novigrad brought to life as well as Vizima was, which I think they failed at by a slight margin. However one cannot really fault an RPG that actually has different cultures, armours, clothing, accents, landscapes and architecture within it, it made a nice change of pace and showed that the developers are going the extra mile in adding detail and verisimilitude, as well as sticking to the series focus on its (simulated) historical accuracy.

Edit: I for one enjoy it for that reason.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

Clearing question marks is not all exploration in W3 has to offer tho - the game's strong suite is narrative, and indeed, completely random locations are dotted with quests. Not to mention that some of the question marks are really cool too, but they're definitely in the minority (instead of what they've done, I would have preferred questions marks to be a lot less numerous and contain small stories within - some do, but not nearly enough. And as I said, the game is mainly driven by its narrative.)

Skellige is 95% busy work. I tried clearing all those question marks, lost interest and now the game just sits there while I'm closing in on 200 hours with Fallout 4 instead.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I think I've almost done the main Skellege quest but there's a quivering ton of side content waiting.  Really enjoying Skellege, this should have been the entire game if you ask me  :lol:

I have to admit I still think that the game might well have benefitted from choosing one area and focusing upon it more robustly, for instance I would have loved to see a siege progressing in No Mans Land, skirmishes between Redanians and Nilfgaardians and whatnot, or Novigrad brought to life as well as Vizima was, which I think they failed at by a slight margin. However one cannot really fault an RPG that actually has different cultures, armours, clothing, accents, landscapes and architecture within it, it made a nice change of pace and showed that the developers are going the extra mile in adding detail and verisimilitude, as well as sticking to the series focus on its (simulated) historical accuracy.

Edit: I for one enjoy it for that reason.

I couldn't have put it better.  I'm really enjoying all the small cultural details, one recent example I noticed is that the residents of Skellige take the fingernails of their dead to deter the Wild Hunt from using them as ornamentation for their ship.

Skellige is 95% busy work. I tried clearing all those question marks, lost interest and now the game just sits there while I'm closing in on 200 hours with Fallout 4 instead.

Doesn't feel like busy work so far (no more than the mainland), I'm mostly just enjoying the change in culture and landscape.

Well Bethesda has -always- been just about the best when it comes to designing open worlds in the industry. Still, wanna know simple way to vastly improve Witcher 3 experience? Go to map -> Filters -> disable question marks. Never enable them again. Done. Suddenly, discovering random crap is something which happens while you're exploring as opposed to blindly following compass. Most question marks which are worth seeing are those you'll notice on a map anyway - caves, ruins, burned towns etc. 

Well Bethesda has -always- been just about the best when it comes to designing open worlds in the industry. Still, wanna know simple way to vastly improve Witcher 3 experience? Go to map -> Filters -> disable question marks. Never enable them again. Done. Suddenly, discovering random crap is something which happens while you're exploring as opposed to blindly following compass. Most question marks which are worth seeing are those you'll notice on a map anyway - caves, ruins, burned towns etc.

Or you can do what I did and disable the mini map all together. Either way, boom, instant exploration with a minor cosmetic fix (which is what I've heard Fallout fans say is where F4 beats W3).

Or you can do what I did and disable the mini map all together. Either way, boom, instant exploration with a minor cosmetic fix (which is what I've heard Fallout fans say is where F4 beats W3).

Oh I sort of do that by default, but questions marks are not necessarily an issue of mini map - they just sort of bug you on the big map.