The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Rosbjerg

Well I'm not going to argue, I finished a couple of months ago and it wasn't memorable enough for me to remember much in detail about the world and quests, except for hopping from question mark to question mark.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The XP bug in hindsight was a good one to have: with it fixed, there's way too much XP in the game that any semi-completionist run will greatly outlevel the intended levels for the game. The XP curve is messed up in general though, for example the breadcrumb quest that says "hey you should totally visit Skellige" is quite a few levels higher than some of the quests you can do once you actually get there.

I can come up with a long, very long list of all my mechanical gripes with the game. But I'd also like to note that the game also takes proud place in my favourite games of all time, despite those shortcomings.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The XP bug in hindsight was a good one to have: with it fixed, there's way too much XP in the game that any semi-completionist run will greatly outlevel the intended levels for the game. The XP curve is messed up in general though, for example the breadcrumb quest that says "hey you should totally visit Skellige" is quite a few levels higher than some of the quests you can do once you actually get there.

I can come up with a long, very long list of all my mechanical gripes with the game. But I'd also like to note that the game also takes proud place in my favourite games of all time, despite those shortcomings.

Except for the high level requirements for mastercrafted gear.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Yeah, admittedly I have very little to say about the crafting system because I didn't really use it. The system has all the same problems that crafting has in any other game, and I don't consider it an interesting subsystem at all. Fortunately the game doesn't seem balanced around using crafted gear, so I just use whatever's on hand.

I'd also note that the durability penalty is peanuts. Wielding a "completely broken" weapon is a 10% damage penalty on normal (+5% on each harder difficulty). That's completely inconsequential so I ended up using weapons with 0% durability until it came time to replace them.

Technically these designs are flaws of course, but I live rather happily with the outcome of just being able to enjoy the game - generally speaking the talkie bits - while ignoring the mechanical aspect of most everything.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I still maintain that the levels on monsters and items should be removed entirely, though of course that's an easy thing to say and in reality a large amount of work, and I doubt even an enhanced edition would stretch that far in terms of scope. What i'm surprised at is nobody flagging this issue during playtesting, this was one of the most stable launches CDPR has had so they obviously tested the game rigorously, I can't belive that someone didn't flag this as an issue.

Somewhat worrying for Cyberpunk, where the mechanics will make or break the game I believe, with a multitude of classes, abilities, cyberware and states to implement.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I still maintain that the levels on monsters and items should be removed entirely, though of course that's an easy thing to say and in reality a large amount of work, and I doubt even an enhanced edition would stretch that far in terms of scope. What i'm surprised at is nobody flagging this issue during playtesting, this was one of the most stable launches CDPR has had so they obviously tested the game rigorously, I can't belive that someone didn't flag this as an issue.

Somewhat worrying for Cyberpunk, where the mechanics will make or break the game I believe, with a multitude of classes, abilities, cyberware and states to implement.

I'm holding out hope that its a case of them listening to feedback from previous games. Lots of people complained about the first Witcher combat system being too "RPGey". Because CDP made the mistake of porting it to consoles the second game became more "actiony" and subsequently from that we get the gameplay flaws of the third one.Although I'm sure there were some technical or management issues because I read the design documents and I like their concept for the combat system that is nothing like what they implemented.

Cyberpunk is being kept under wraps so I don't know what to think but i'm hoping that because it is an new IP that they have more freedom to work with. Although if they just rip off Deus Ex:HR with better graphics and animations i'm cool with that too.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I'm holding out hope that its a case of them listening to feedback from previous games. Lots of people complained about the first Witcher combat system being too "RPGey". Because CDP made the mistake of porting it to consoles the second game became more "actiony" and subsequently from that we get the gameplay flaws of the third one.Although I'm sure there were some technical or management issues because I read the design documents and I like their concept for the combat system that is nothing like what they implemented.

Cyberpunk is being kept under wraps so I don't know what to think but i'm hoping that because it is an new IP that they have more freedom to work with. Although if they just rip off Deus Ex:HR with better graphics and animations i'm cool with that too.

Orog you and Nonek are insighful guys but you are missing the obvious solution...they just need to remove all monsters from the game...therefore no more frustration  o:)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

We'll wait for that mod.

:lol: 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The scope is what worries me, Cyberpunk with all of its classes and their inividual approaches dwarf the fairly one dimensional approach of Deus Ex, now how can they implement that: A Solo may play in a similar fashion to Jensen, but a Netrunner, an Executive, a Rock Star all have so many approaches that mandate different content as to make an almost dizzying variety. I foresee that they are either going to have to artificially funnel the player in some manner or make content that lacks the detail they usually bestow on their settings.

If they can make all of the classes feel genuinely as different in approach as the tabletop game however, and make a narrative as detailed and personal as is present in the Witcher, then I think the game will probably set a new benchmark. It seems like a Herculean task however.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

The scope is what worries me, Cyberpunk with all of its classes and their inividual approaches dwarf the fairly one dimensional approach of Deus Ex, now how can they implement that: A Solo may play in a similar fashion to Jensen, but a Netrunner, an Executive, a Rock Star all have so many approaches that mandate different content as to make an almost dizzying variety. I foresee that they are either going to have to artificially funnel the player in some manner or make content that lacks the detail they usually bestow on their settings.

If they can make all of the classes feel genuinely as different in approach as the tabletop game however, and make a narrative as detailed and personal as is present in the Witcher, then I think the game will probably set a new benchmark. It seems like a Herculean task however.

Have faith young grasshopper, have faith

" hope springs eternal in the human breast "  and all that  :sorcerer:

John Milton 

They are hard working, the Witcher 3 has shown that. But yeah they will probably funnel some stuff, it may be like DA:Origins or Secret of Mana 3 where you have different origins but eventually end up in the same main quest. Or it could be like VTM:B where you have a story that fits every different class but the playthroughs vary because of dialogue and character builds. If is anything like the latter I will foam at the mouth.

Edit: with joy.

Edited by Orogun01

village_idiot.gif

Wait......there's a secret of mana 3 let alone there was a second one as well??????

Following the weird conventions for Japanese localization, Secret of Mana is the second game in the series while Secret of Mana 3 (or 2) was never released on the states there was a relatively high profile translation project for the ROM version for emulators. Its a good game.

village_idiot.gif

Cyberpunk will be like that recent Robot Waifu Builder, with the addition of being able to sleep with Robot Waifu.

We'll wait for that mod.

village_idiot.gif

Wait......there's a secret of mana 3 let alone there was a second one as well??????

Following the weird conventions for Japanese localization, Secret of Mana is the second game in the series while Secret of Mana 3 (or 2) was never released on the states there was a relatively high profile translation project for the ROM version for emulators. Its a good game.

I really need to learn Japanese lol. Very fond memories of SoM when I was young. Glad the others were good, and didn't fail like the second chrono trigger did......shivers

I really need to learn Japanese lol. Very fond memories of SoM when I was young. Glad the others were good, and didn't fail like the second chrono trigger did......shivers

What for? The game is translated already.

village_idiot.gif

What for? The game is translated already.

You sure? We can wait for a Mod ?

John Milton 

I don't mind high level monsters for the rare types.  It's just the "lesser" monsters that makes the enemy level system a bit odd.  For instance, I have no issue with a high level Royal Wyvern.  That should give the player a bit of trouble, and thus it makes sense you need to be at a certain level to take it on.  But when drowners, random bandits, and ghouls are way above your level that they kill Geralt in one or two hits, that's where it gets a bit dodgy.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I don't mind high level monsters for the rare types.  It's just the "lesser" monsters that makes the enemy level system a bit odd.  For instance, I have no issue with a high level Royal Wyvern.  That should give the player a bit of trouble, and thus it makes sense you need to be at a certain level to take it on.  But when drowners, random bandits, and ghouls are way above your level that they kill Geralt in one or two hits, that's where it gets a bit dodgy.

You see what I would do is simply make a Royal Wyvern an extremely difficult foe, without a level requirement, much harder to take down than a normal Wyvern and able to brutalise low level Wicthers or even high level ones whom are inattentive or unprepared. Give the monster a deadly skill set, a good AI and a rewarding treasure to guard, and let it be an accomplishment to slay without the damage boost or penalty factor of level comparison making any difference.

Then again it's easy for me to sit here and play backseat developer, there's no way I could produce anything of the scope, quality or depth of the Witcher 3.

Tea for the teapot!

After the latest patch fixed up the very lucrative "pearl" method I've decided to convert all my goods into bottles. The bottle merchant instantly restocks his good, bottles are weigthless and as good as orens, all shops will take them and you have one 100% price on your goods. 

Now let's wait until those ****s decide to patch this one out too.

village_idiot.gif

• 2 weeks later...