The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Rosbjerg

I hate this game combat system, I really wish that developers would listen to Obsidian only because they are the ones that said that the core mechanic of your game must work perfectly and put Mario jumping as an example. Combat is boring and broken, dodging works as badly as in every game that has tried to implement a dodging system with an auto-tracking system; which is to say **** all poorly. Moreover exploration is hindered by the leveled enemies that force you to put off exploring a certain area (quite bold for CD project to believe I would be interested in coming back to an area wasting valuable time of my life just to find a chest with some junk in it) Plus, I wish I had the ability to cross over mountains just to take the most direct route to my goal without being hindered by the fact that both my horse and my character are incapable of doing so.

Quite frankly, I wish the Witcher 3 wasn't an open world game despite the fact that it may be the best open world game. I'm just bored of going from point A to B without nothing to show for it. Leveling is useless, the combat is boring and there are only so many time I can see the same ****ing tree before I want to kill my horse for being stuck in it and that I want to move on.

I would prefer a shorter more streamlined game instead of one filled with markers and needless detours, the worst part is that you cant prioritize content since mere monster contract might lead to a meaningful sidequest.

I wish that Obsidian would listen to their own advice. Combat in PoE is a piece of crap.

Combat in W3 is awesome. Of course the "push x for awesomeness" crowd lack any skill to learn it. But that's not the game problem.

I really like all the small details that come out when you master the combat and know your enemy and what to use against which one. Like counterattack will cut off grave hag poisonous tongues or Aksii sign will force Alghul to hide his thorns, Yrden will cancel specters transparency, which creatures you can parry, which attack can be dodged and which one you need to roll out from etc. There is plenty little tactics you can play and if you also add equipment and skill choices - sky is the limit.

If it comes to combat I would place it right with Batman Arkham series which is the absolute top combat mechanics.

Actually I wanted something more like a hack and slash where you have actually control of your character instead of the same "push x for awesomeness" with the awesome removed. Arkham at least had some diversity in the ways that you dealt with enemies, W3 you just use Quen, dodge to the side (curse whomever programmed enemies to autotrack you) and counterattack with a fast attack because power attacks are slow and you don't have that greatest of powers: perfect autotracking. 

You seem overly excited for something that's banal and poorly designed.

I really don't get where the bolded is coming from.  Different enemies have different vulnerabilities.  You can't just use one tactic against every enemy you come across.  To be honest, your method never even felt very good to me.  Quen absorbs like one hit, then you have to wait until your stamina is recharged to use it again.  With other signs, you could have done more damage in the time it took you to Quen>roll out of the way as it recharges>Quen again.  Not to mention there's some satisfaction in using Iigni (or whatever the domination one is called) on a bandit leader and watch him tear apart his entire group on your behalf, only to then be decapitated by Geralt's hand.

I also don't know why you're having such an issue with the dodge feature.  Autotracking?  You have to time your dodges.  Wait 'til they're about to strike, then hit dodge.  You seem to want to hit dodge whenever and automatically move out of the way of whatever is coming at you.  Hell, I had trouble with the fist fighting part until I learned how to time dodges.  Ditto when creatures would throw rocks/boulders at me.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I really don't get where the bolded is coming from.  Different enemies have different vulnerabilities.  You can't just use one tactic against every enemy you come across.  To be honest, your method never even felt very good to me.  Quen absorbs like one hit, then you have to wait until your stamina is recharged to use it again.  With other signs, you could have done more damage in the time it took you to Quen>roll out of the way as it recharges>Quen again.  Not to mention there's some satisfaction in using Iigni (or whatever the domination one is called) on a bandit leader and watch him tear apart his entire group on your behalf, only to then be decapitated by Geralt's hand.

I also don't know why you're having such an issue with the dodge feature.  Autotracking?  You have to time your dodges.  Wait 'til they're about to strike, then hit dodge.  You seem to want to hit dodge whenever and automatically move out of the way of whatever is coming at you.  Hell, I had trouble with the fist fighting part until I learned how to time dodges.  Ditto when creatures would throw rocks/boulders at me.

But that's the only tactic that seems to work, rolling works but leaves you to far away to counter attack. Dodge leaves you in range but you have trouble using it repeatedly and against multiple enemies (big problem when fighting drowners) Domination requires some levels before it can be used on battle and not to mention the awful skill slot system.

I guess that it's should be called auto aim instead (even though is not a shooter) anyways I'm kind of tired of dodging ahead of time just to see enemies change their attack mid flight an veer into my location.

The reason why I think Arkham was superior is how different units work together, they have someone tanking, ranged DPS and regular guys in multitude. Enemies in W3 don't have any group tactics that you need to overcome, despite having created different variants of the same monster they all behave the same as their low counterpart. Fighting drowners doesn't feel that much different from fighting wolves and fighting a ****atrice is the same as fighting a Forktail.

Best fight I've had so far was when I managed to found Foglets, Water Hags and Drowners together. 

BTW, Golden Oriole+Devil's Puffball best way to kill humans.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Never used a single decoctions, way too gamebreaking.

I'm conflicted over combat however.

Pros:

• Generally I like the combat, it is involved, engrossing and needs attention to triumph in.
  • Geralt is mortal and despite being a potent supermutant a few pounds of pressure applied at the right place with a steel implement will render him dead, and this frailty and realism is something that I like, it reflects the books take on the Witcher and reminds us that combat is a danger.
  • Get surrounded, mobbed or caught by surprise and you can easily die.

Cons:

• Geralt is too weak and slow, he is one of the foremost swordsman of the north, if not the world and this speed and deadliness is not really reflected in the game. Untrained peasants could not match the sheer speed and coordination of a Witcher, and they certainly could not block his blows, the finest warriors of the north might be able to stop a few at most. To Geralt when fighting his opponents should be moving like they are in treacle.
  • The gameplay is once again clearly based upon the controller, and feels floaty and imprecise, with none of the instant response we see in games such as Severance: Blade of Darkness, which once again leads to Geralt feeling clumsy and slow.
  • The animations for coating or whetting ones sword are gone, and one can do this in the midst of battle, it shatters the sense of verisimilitude that this game strives for in almost every other area.
  • The same goes for taking potions and consuming vittles, there is no animation like in the first game and it just feels cheap and breaks the internal consistency of the game. It should require a clear space and a quick hand to quaff potions from Geralts slots, instead it's just dumbed down, a shame.
  • Good Lord Geralt use the point of your blade, instead of executing an elaborate, spin, pirouette, and reverse cut simply stick the end of your sword in their throat or through their heart, quick, effective and longer ranged than a cut.
  • We once again begin the game at first level, at a point where Geralt has regained almost a century of experience and practice in his profession, this is counter intuitive and is the second time it has happened with absolutely no explanation.
  • The levelling and itemisation systems unfortunately just really discourages one from exploring as one wishes, great i've defeated a dread foe in a life or death struggle and want to be rewarded, what do I get: A sword that requires another fifteen levels to use, or a piece of junk which I already possess a few hundred of. Like most games now randomised loot is killing any sense of reward for exploration.

This sounds excessively negative upon looking at it, but it is I think fair and truthful criticism from a fan of the franchise whom wants it to improve, but also a real fan of good combat systems. Personally i'd also get rid of the monster and npc levelling system and have each of them be threats in their own right with unique abilities, or maybe have very loose levels of ability, maybe matching the Witcher gear tiers of standard, enhanced, superior and mastercrafted. Standard, rare, unique and legendary perhaps?

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

But that's the only tactic that seems to work, rolling works but leaves you to far away to counter attack. Dodge leaves you in range but you have trouble using it repeatedly and against multiple enemies (big problem when fighting drowners) Domination requires some levels before it can be used on battle and not to mention the awful skill slot system.

I guess that it's should be called auto aim instead (even though is not a shooter) anyways I'm kind of tired of dodging ahead of time just to see enemies change their attack mid flight an veer into my location.

The reason why I think Arkham was superior is how different units work together, they have someone tanking, ranged DPS and regular guys in multitude. Enemies in W3 don't have any group tactics that you need to overcome, despite having created different variants of the same monster they all behave the same as their low counterpart. Fighting drowners doesn't feel that much different from fighting wolves and fighting a ****atrice is the same as fighting a Forktail.

Best fight I've had so far was when I managed to found Foglets, Water Hags and Drowners together. 

BTW, Golden Oriole+Devil's Puffball best way to kill humans.

Against wraiths, it doesn't work nearly as well as using Yrden (the magical trap one that slows them).  You can hack them to pieces when they walk through your Yrden trap, because they are both slowed and their damage immunity seems to take a hit.  If you just use Quen and dodge the entire time, it'll be a much harder fight.  Ditto the use of Aard to knock flying creatures out of the air, then allowing you to insta-kill them when they're on the ground.  So I can't agree at all about there being one effect way to kill all enemies.

As for the dodging, again, it's timing.  You said yourself that you dodged "ahead of time".  That suggests you're dodging before the enemy has even released his projectile.  Like trolls with throwing rocks, if you dodge *before* he actually releases, he'll re-adjust to your new position.  Which makes sense.  So you wait until he's just released his throw, then dodge, and you never get hit.  Ditto for when fighting in melee.  Wait until he's going through with his lunge animation, and dodge then.  Otherwise, he'll just re-align on you ... as it should be.

Also, I've found large groups use tactics.  Bandits, for instance, will charge you with their melee fighters, while their archers shoot from a distance.  So you've got to both engage the melee guys, while dodging out of the way of arrows.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Cons:

• Geralt is too weak and slow, he is one of the foremost swordsman of the north, if not the world and this speed and deadliness is not really reflected in the game. Untrained peasants could not match the sheer speed and coordination of a Witcher, and they certainly could not block his blows, the finest warriors of the north might be able to stop a few at most. To Geralt when fighting his opponents should be moving like they are in treacle.

While from a lore/story point of view I can understand this complaint, from a gameplay point of view it makes perfect sense for why they designed it the way they did.  Part of game design involves making sure combat has some difficulty to it.  If they stuck to the lore, then there'd be almost zero difficulty for 90% of the game.  From a purely gameplay point of view, coming across a group of 5 bandits would be nothing for the player if Geralt could slice them to bits in 2 seconds.

Cons:

While from a lore/story point of view I can understand this complaint, from a gameplay point of view it makes perfect sense for why they designed it the way they did.  Part of game design involves making sure combat has some difficulty to it.  If they stuck to the lore, then there'd be almost zero difficulty for 90% of the game.  From a purely gameplay point of view, coming across a group of 5 bandits would be nothing for the player if Geralt could slice them to bits in 2 seconds.

Yes I agree there does need to be risk, progression and reward. It's just that this kind of flies in the face of anyone who's read the books, as you say five bandits could easily be Renfri and her thugs from the Last Wish novella, whom Geralt dances amongst and decimates with ease. How does the developer handle this dissonance, I don't really know. Make humans unwilling to take him on in melee, rely on magic, crossbows, heavy armour and superior numbers?

Edit: Then again Geralt (almost) died to an untrained peasant lad with a pitchfork whom he underestimated, proving that man is mortal, even one as deadly as he.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Against wraiths, it doesn't work nearly as well as using Yrden (the magical trap one that slows them).  You can hack them to pieces when they walk through your Yrden trap, because they are both slowed and their damage immunity seems to take a hit.  If you just use Quen and dodge the entire time, it'll be a much harder fight.  Ditto the use of Aard to knock flying creatures out of the air, then allowing you to insta-kill them when they're on the ground.  So I can't agree at all about there being one effect way to kill all enemies.

As for the dodging, again, it's timing.  You said yourself that you dodged "ahead of time".  That suggests you're dodging before the enemy has even released his projectile.  Like trolls with throwing rocks, if you dodge *before* he actually releases, he'll re-adjust to your new position.  Which makes sense.  So you wait until he's just released his throw, then dodge, and you never get hit.  Ditto for when fighting in melee.  Wait until he's going through with his lunge animation, and dodge then.  Otherwise, he'll just re-align on you ... as it should be.

Also, I've found large groups use tactics.  Bandits, for instance, will charge you with their melee fighters, while their archers shoot from a distance.  So you've got to both engage the melee guys, while dodging out of the way of arrows.

I use grenades against wraiths as they allow me more freedom of movement.

Enemies have long winding attacks on which they run up to you, I don't know if you fence or have fought in real life but once you're committed to an attack it becomes difficult to change it's direction without it losing power as you have to exert force away from the target to compensate the difference between where the hit is heading and where you want it to go. Hence why I find it a bit suspect when a common bandit has enough presence of mind in the middle of an attack to notice that I dodge and switch directions. Plus enemies strike you without facing your direction, so I can clearly see how the animation is mismatched with the hit. (Think of it like Dark Souls 2).

Also, bandits block your attacks without actually unsheathing their weapon. Every time you strike an enemy it seems like their guard is perfect despite the fact that they are common bandits or that they are switching from bow to sword and you caught them "unprepared". 

To continue the comparison in Shadow of Mordor I could vault over a shield (unless the enemy had a specific perk) I could also counter their moves, striking them didn't result in me being stun-locked and I could use powers on them. So I had more ways to deal with them other than use power or counter.

After reviewing this I'm not longer sure if these are problems with the combat or with the leveling system, since it seems that the only virtue of leveling is not dying of one hit and causing more damage. While you gain more versatility with abilities your are still restricted by the slots and the fact that the most useful and powerful abilities require you to commit yourself to a path. For a game about a character with a mixed class it doesn't really encourage multiclassing.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Quick and strong attacks probably could use some more differentiation, and having the latter behave more like enemy attacks with huge weapons may be enough of a change to get rid of the "peasants blocking my every attack perfectly" problem. And conversely make the quick attack easier to chain perhaps, enemies probably recover their block while being quick attack chained too quickly.

Admittedly though I'm mostly just setting people on fire, so I don't have any deep insight into pure swordplay.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I can't seem to find the enhanced and superior versions of the new wolf armor and weapons.  I've found the basic model for the wolf armor, and accidentally stumbled upon one of the mastercrafted version, but can't find the rest.  And none of the vendors sell maps to the locations, either.

I had to check after reading your time scores: I've played 160 something hours. I just met Crach an Craite on Skellige.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Snip.

Ad. 1 You control Geralt! It's entirely possible to dance around and don't allow anyone to block your attacks. But you seem to want to attack head on and expect game to play itself.

Ad.3 In W2 people had problem with potions being unavailable in combat. Now they have problem with it being possible. WTF?!

Ad.5 We started W1 on level one having no signs and no knowledge. In W2 and W3 we start with all signs and knowledge. In W2 you needed to learn counterattack move, in W3 you have it from the start. There is a clear upgrade in Geralts starting abilities. Level 1 in W1 is completely different from level 1 in W3.

Ad. 6 Loot is not randomized. 

Yes I agree there does need to be risk, progression and reward. It's just that this kind of flies in the face of anyone who's read the books, as you say five bandits could easily be Renfri and her thugs from the Last Wish novella, whom Geralt dances amongst and decimates with ease. How does the developer handle this dissonance, I don't really know. Make humans unwilling to take him on in melee, rely on magic, crossbows, heavy armour and superior numbers?

Edit: Then again Geralt (almost) died to an untrained peasant lad with a pitchfork whom he underestimated, proving that man is mortal, even one as deadly as he.

In Blaviken Geralt didn't attacked the group head on. He circled around them and picked them one by one using close quarters in a city fight. It's entirely possible to use the same tactics in W3. But you as a player need to do this. It's a game not a book you need to do the fighting yourself.

1. No I expect the lightning fast attacks of a Witcher to be almost impossible to parry or block by a a normal individual.

3. I never did, as I said I preferred the approach in the first game oil, food and whetstone wise and the second game potion wise.

5. Yet i'm still having to relearn skills i'd already spent points on in the second and first games, somehow I forgot Whirl and many others for no reason whatsoever.

6. Then loot is extremely poorly placed in some instances.

I've never once approached a foe head on, I always attack from a dodge or a block if successful and attack like a wolf as the school warrants.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

For some reason, the armorer in Novigrad didn't have a map for sale.  So I had to look up online the actual locations for the three items that would have been listed in his map.

While in Kaer Morhen, I did the drinking part with Lambert and Eskel.  Still cracks me up, especially Lambert in Vesemir's hat, and when they dress up in Triss' clothing.

Oops, I probably shouldn't have gotten my Witcher wolf gear upgraded to superior yet.  I'm at level 26, but need to be level 29 to use it.  So now I'm wearing my griffin armor again until I reach that level.

Reading the leaked developer documents after having played the Witcher is quite revealing of how things change when they went into game. I

village_idiot.gif

Heading into Isle of Mists to find Ciri.  I've pretty much done all sidequests/contracts that are around my level, so no use putting it off any longer.

I liked stocking up on a dozen dancing flame bombs and unleashing a fiery hell. You can't do that now. Witcher 2 had more flexible alchemy systems.

"Can't"? Naah, just need to get to 3rd tier of alchemy. Can be a bothersome thing to do, I'll give you that

oOxVXdN.jpg?1

Edited by Nordicus
  • Like 1

I don't think I've ever, or will ever, max out my alchemy tree.  I never did it in previous games.  I don't know why, but I'm just more melee/magic focused.

I don't think I've ever, or will ever, max out my alchemy tree.  I never did it in previous games.  I don't know why, but I'm just more melee/magic focused.

Well there are two things that stop me pursuing alchemy in a serious way, but I think if resolved I'd totally do it over a pure swords build. One is the common complaint of having to go deep into your inventory just to swap out bombs and potions. The other is the meditation requirement to refill them, which leads to be immersion-breaking method of meditating after every fight. I think the latter could be fixed with no balancing implications by letting you do the same thing without meditating, when outside of combat.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I never did either in my previous games but this time it seems like the strongest is the alchemy tree. I just wish someone would mod it so that decotions count towards your toxicity so that you can have infinite potions for an hour. Yes; that's how broken the alchemy tree is, that with just one small modification you can have a immediate regen for an hour.

village_idiot.gif

I never did either in my previous games but this time it seems like the strongest is the alchemy tree. I just wish someone would mod it so that decotions count towards your toxicity so that you can have infinite potions for an hour. Yes; that's how broken the alchemy tree is, that with just one small modification you can have a immediate regen for an hour.

Weeeeeelllll, with Troll Decoction you have it already, but I get what you mean.

Weeeeeelllll, with Troll Decoction you have it already, but I get what you mean.

Except that when you mix troll decotion with those effects you get immortal Geralt

village_idiot.gif

Ran across my first immersion breaking thing (albeit a minor one).  Spoilers below in case you haven't gone past the Kaer Morhen part yet.

----------

After finishing Yen's part of the final preparations main quest and freeing Rita from prison, I got a glossary entry update on Sile de Tanserville as well, indicating Geralt took pity on her after seeing her in her state and took her life.  Problem is on this play through I'd chosen the option that Sile DIED in TW2, when Letho messed with her crystal.  So she shouldn't have even been there.

It's just a glitch with the glossary entry, though, because she wasn't actually in the prison physically.