The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Rosbjerg

My issue isn't that you "fail" quests related to Triss when she leaves Novigrad, it's that this quest was given to me when Triss was still in Novigrad and I had access to her, but the option to ask her about it never came up because all she talked about was her personal sidequest.

I was hoping for one dialogue line that went something like, "By the way, there's this crystal I found ..." in between the dialogue choices to do with her own quest.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Truth told, I kind of stopped playing TW3 already 2 or so weeks ago. The game is just too big. I mean, it's awesome. Everytime I play it, a rainbow of awesomeness is shooting straight into my face... but I just can't get my body to start the game, because I feel like I am wasting too much of my free time.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

My issue isn't that you "fail" quests related to Triss when she leaves Novigrad, it's that this quest was given to me when Triss was still in Novigrad and I had access to her, but the option to ask her about it never came up because all she talked about was her personal sidequest.

I was hoping for one dialogue line that went something like, "By the way, there's this crystal I found ..." in between the dialogue choices to do with her own quest.

Those quests can reactivate later, FYI.

I actually did one of them twice! Once before she left and again later. Fun thing about quest items, after they move from quest to junk, if you sell them to anyone, the original vendor will sell them as a quest item all over again.

And by "fun," I mean "this sucks." Because most items this happens with will just get stuck in your quest inventory forever. Witcher gear maps in particular. The statues seem to be an exception in restarting the quest.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Yeah, I've got a monocle still in my quest inventory from White Orchid.  I found it in a house while on that frying pan quest, but it never seemed to come into play (or that I saw) in the resolution of that quest, so it's been sitting in my inventory ever since.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Got an extra quest this time through that I didn't get in my first play through, all because I chose to fight a couple of bar thugs this time, whereas last time I decided for a peaceful solution.

Yeah, I've got a monocle still in my quest inventory from White Orchid.  I found it in a house while on that frying pan quest, but it never seemed to come into play (or that I saw) in the resolution of that quest, so it's been sitting in my inventory ever since.

Was really expecting Thaler to play into that somehow, being the only monocled guy I could recall.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Geralt seems to have ADHD.  I'll be in the middle of a main story quest when I decide to just run around looking for witcher school gear or solving random problems.

Geralt: "Gotta save Ciri.  She'll die if I don't go to ... Oh, look, a footprint!  Wonder where this leads to ..."

I'm a weak man, i've dived back in to see what the other options, choices and decisions offer.

I've got to admit I really love how the devs handled the ending choices for Ciri.

How certain words or actions in unremarkable conversations reflected on how she reacts at the end of the game, it reminds me of Alvin throwing the protagonists words back at him in the dreamworld of the first game. I really like how there is no plot pinpointing here, no clumsy signposting and no right way to know what to do, like parenting you just do the best you can think of at the time, and bear the consequences. It is in my opinion one of the best ways to make a decision, in that I didn't know i'd made one.

It's strange too how upon researching it the positive options are all chaotic and playful, because Ciri never had a childhood like others, it was robbed by the Hunt, by Vilgefortz and others. To remind her to laugh, to smile and to enjoy her life, if just for a little while, that is a precious gift that Geralt can give. I'm glad that they chose to reward the players who looked a little deeper, and thought about all that their child of destiny had been through.

Perhaps this only appeals to a parent however.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I hate this game combat system, I really wish that developers would listen to Obsidian only because they are the ones that said that the core mechanic of your game must work perfectly and put Mario jumping as an example. Combat is boring and broken, dodging works as badly as in every game that has tried to implement a dodging system with an auto-tracking system; which is to say **** all poorly. Moreover exploration is hindered by the leveled enemies that force you to put off exploring a certain area (quite bold for CD project to believe I would be interested in coming back to an area wasting valuable time of my life just to find a chest with some junk in it) Plus, I wish I had the ability to cross over mountains just to take the most direct route to my goal without being hindered by the fact that both my horse and my character are incapable of doing so.

Quite frankly, I wish the Witcher 3 wasn't an open world game despite the fact that it may be the best open world game. I'm just bored of going from point A to B without nothing to show for it. Leveling is useless, the combat is boring and there are only so many time I can see the same ****ing tree before I want to kill my horse for being stuck in it and that I want to move on.

I would prefer a shorter more streamlined game instead of one filled with markers and needless detours, the worst part is that you cant prioritize content since mere monster contract might lead to a meaningful sidequest.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Just finished it. Now that's how you do an ending. I was holding back tears right up until I couldn't anymore. And it wasn't even sad.

I don't want to spoil what I got, but why is this so hard for most developers? Make it about the characters and where they've grown into!

I hate this game combat system, I really wish that developers would listen to Obsidian only because they are the ones that said that the core mechanic of your game must work perfectly and put Mario jumping as an example. Combat is boring and broken, dodging works as badly as in every game that has tried to implement a dodging system with an auto-tracking system; which is to say **** all poorly. Moreover exploration is hindered by the leveled enemies that force you to put off exploring a certain area (quite bold for CD project to believe I would be interested in coming back to an area wasting valuable time of my life just to find a chest with some junk in it) Plus, I wish I had the ability to cross over mountains just to take the most direct route to my goal without being hindered by the fact that both my horse and my character are incapable of doing so.

Quite frankly, I wish the Witcher 3 wasn't an open world game despite the fact that it may be the best open world game. I'm just bored of going from point A to B without nothing to show for it. Leveling is useless, the combat is boring and there are only so many time I can see the same ****ing tree before I want to kill my horse for being stuck in it and that I want to move on.

I would prefer a shorter more streamlined game instead of one filled with markers and needless detours, the worst part is that you cant prioritize content since mere monster contract might lead to a meaningful sidequest.

I had way more fun with AssCreed Black Flag as an open world game. I stopped clearing question marks in W3 after looting a minor rune and a crappy sword after fighting a ??? level elemental for 20 minutes.

Combat in Witcher 2/3 is horrid because they still try to hold on to the illusion of being arrpeegee. In AssCreed random peasants can't at least block the strikes of a supposed superhuman swordsman.

Edited by HoonDing
  • Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Yeah, I'm not really sure what the issue is with combat.  Different enemies require different combat techniques, and different enemies have different weaknesses to the signs.

Assassin's Creed combat is better?  You mean the game where the block and counter button rules all?

I need a rotate/ scroll powers button and a fire power button, they need to be seperate. The quick bar is not good enough so you need to use it in conjunction with the inventory, which kinda makes it pointless.

I need to have autoswitch bombs so I don't have to go into the inventory after having tossed  two measly bombs, breaking my immersion. 

Eating chicken dumplings while combat rolling is unneccesary not to mention bad for digestion and it takes up buttons that could be used for those missing functions. 

Pretty simple things really. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I wish that Obsidian would listen to their own advice. Combat in PoE is a piece of crap.

Combat in W3 is awesome. Of course the "push x for awesomeness" crowd lack any skill to learn it. But that's not the game problem.

I really like all the small details that come out when you master the combat and know your enemy and what to use against which one. Like counterattack will cut off grave hag poisonous tongues or Aksii sign will force Alghul to hide his thorns, Yrden will cancel specters transparency, which creatures you can parry, which attack can be dodged and which one you need to roll out from etc. There is plenty little tactics you can play and if you also add equipment and skill choices - sky is the limit.

If it comes to combat I would place it right with Batman Arkham series which is the absolute top combat mechanics.

Actually I wanted something more like a hack and slash where you have actually control of your character instead of the same "push x for awesomeness" with the awesome removed. Arkham at least had some diversity in the ways that you dealt with enemies, W3 you just use Quen, dodge to the side (curse whomever programmed enemies to autotrack you) and counterattack with a fast attack because power attacks are slow and you don't have that greatest of powers: perfect autotracking. 

You seem overly excited for something that's banal and poorly designed.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I got through the game without Quen with not much trouble, on B&B difficulty mind you, sidestepping gets pretty handy - though did have some amusing instances where I keep backpedalling away from a mob. Becomes quite easy to find the rhythm, at least for me.

Not sure how useful strong attack is, at least on contract monsters you have very small windows to land blows in.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Strong attack is overpowered with the one decoction. 10% off the HP of any opponent you fight.

Strong attack is overpowered with the one decoction. 10% off the HP of any opponent you fight.

Decotions are one of my favorite parts in this game, you get the right mix and you're invincible. Sadly they don't make combat any more exciting.

village_idiot.gif

And with an easy dip into alchemy you can have two decoctions at once. I had 241 toxicity cap.

And with an easy dip into alchemy you can have two decoctions at once. I had 241 toxicity cap.

I still haven't found an use for some of the dections though, too damn specific.

village_idiot.gif

Health recovery when using stamina? That's a good one. You can heal by just jumping or casting spells too. I also like the one that improves your total vitality with each kill when just running around.

The one that improves defense each time you get hit failed to impress me, though.

Hm will have to try that. Mainly used strong on golems or Imlerith.

I think there's a coin rollover glitch in the game. I had 65k when I looked at one point, then I looked later and had a measly 4k.

No explanation for the loss, I guess I just hit a cap and started back at 0. Edit: Looking it up 65k is the trigger. You lose the excess when you load up a save or travel.