The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2015]

Rosbjerg

Old thread here.

I wish one of the future free DLCs was wolf school gear. I kept expecting it to pop up, but never did.

https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/610492082164097024

That's an interesting outfit for Triss.

That's awesome.

I hope it's high level though.  It would kind of suck if the wolf school gear is made irrelevant by mid-game.

I'm never going to finish this blasted game. I wouldn't mind playing as Djikstra however, if there was a non Witcher focused sequel.

Kind of hard to play as Djikstra after my game.  ;)

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Poor old Djikstra, the man just can't catch a break.

Edit: I assume the Wolf school gear will be in four parts, normal, enhanced, superior and mastercrafted like the Cat, Griffin and Bear schools gear.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

A lot of this free stuff smells like stuff cut from game on purpose.

Why not have Wolf school in there from the very beginning.

Even if it is, who cares?  At least they're not charging for it.  It's only an issue (to me) when companies release "DLC" that should have been in the core game, and have the audacity to charge $10-$15 for it.

-----

On my second play-thru, this time I'm just going to be a jerk Geralt.  Take as much money as I want, and be a general all around jerk when it comes to choosing options that are self-serving.  I also intend to not be nice to any of my "friends".

I played my first hand of gwent.  Funny, now that I know what I'm doing I wiped the floor with the guy.  I could have sworn he beat me my first time through.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Suddenly I'm addicted to gwent.  Poor Ciri's lost in the wilderness somewhere and Geralt's spending his time trekking to various taverns/inns to play gwent.

• Like 2

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Does turning down sidequests actually impact the world?  Or does turning it down simply mean something never gets resolved?

For a random example, say a quest giver approaches you about killing a monster and you respond with the "Sorry, don't have time for this" option.  Does anything actually happen to the world, like the monster ends up wiping out a village or appearing later on as a more powerful monster?  Or do you just miss out on a quest and XP opportunity, but with no actual ramifications for the world?

Because I always accept quests, whether it be sidequests or Witcher contracts because the option is always either yes or no, and I figure saying no yields no benefit or effect.

I'm really not sure, I have noticed some dynamic changes in fauna, for instance when you kill wolves you'll see a rise in the deer population but i've not seen much beyond that.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm tempted to try, but I'm such a completionist that it bothers me to turn down quests unless I know for certain it would have an effect later on in the story.

Plus, Geralt needs to make some money to support his new found gwent habit. ;)

The Witcher III: Gwent (featuring the Wild Hunt.)

Tea for the teapot!

A spin-off game could see players take control of Zoltan Chivay as he tries to make his way from upstart gwent player to Northern Realms gwent champion.

• Like 1

I hate that it's Medium, because the skill for Medium gives bonuses to signs. sad.png

But it looks sweeeeet.

I might just drop my Cat Gear skill and use it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That's one bulky jacket. I sort of miss the little potion handlers on the armour, not sure if those were in TW2, though.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Strange considering the Wolves rare use of signs in the books and games. Think i'll stick with Ursine and axes.

Edit: Yes the quick potion pots and loops on the armour were a nice touch.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

Strange considering the Wolves rare use of signs in the books and games. Think i'll stick with Ursine and axes.

Edit: Yes the quick potion pots and loops on the armour were a nice touch.

You use axes?  I never used one.

You can find some quite good ones with nice bonuses, they aren't as efficient as the swords but they add a little extra challenge.

Tea for the teapot!

I found a few axes labeled as relic or magical, but other than I believe armor penetration (or one stat that I'm drawing a blank on), they were so inferior to whatever sword I had equipped at the same time.

They weren't worth much, either, when I sold them.  But I sold them anyway to reduce my weight in my inventory bag.

Yeah they are clearly inferior to fairly much any sword, but the glacial pace at which i'm progressing means i'm overlevelled even for death march, so i'm gimping myself intentionally.

Edit: Finally got Avallach, think i've only one or two cards left to gather.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

I wish there was an easy way to track which inkeeps/merchants/characters you've already won gwent cards off of.  Every time I walk into a new town, I can't recall whether or not I've already beaten these players for their cards or not.  Twice today I wasted time on a game and came away with nothing but 2 pieces of wire.

• Like 1

Even new players aren't giving me cards anymore, I think that i've only a few uniques left.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm trying to build my other decks.  The only full set I have that I can actually start a game with is my Northern Realms one.  I'm up to, I think, 20 Niilfgaard and 18 Scoia'tael.  My monster deck only has like 11 or 12 base cards.

Had a string of terrible luck when it came to my cards tonight when I was trying to play a random blacksmith (ie. no special card giver).  He had a monster deck, where 90% of the time his melee row would multiply to ridiculous totals.  Only way to beat that is to have that weather card that turns all melee combat cards to 1, or to actually have a stacked hand of your own.  I had neither for like 7 straight games.

For my own deck, I kept being dealt the worst cards in my deck.  No hero cards, no spies, and no special cards.  Just a bunch of 5-rated and 6-rated normal cards, with some weather effect cards that weren't for taking out melee cards.

I finally beat him on the 8th attempt when I was (FINALLY!) dealt 3 hero cards, a couple of those melee affecting weather cards, and a couple of spy cards.

I've completed the game but I've yet to actually work out how to play Gwent :blush:

It looks like loads of fun though, I was lucky enough to win one match without really comprehending what I was doing.

Anyway, Obsidian forum noob here -- how come the old thread was locked?

Oh it's just a routine procedure, threads that are too long tend to gum up the works so to speak, so a new one is started.

Couldn't save Jorund on Skellige, decent chap, bit upset about that.

Edit: Re-loaded to try and save the chap again, yes I know that i'm a savescumming degenerate, and found out that it's a forced failure. The supernatural dextrous Witcher, fist fighting champion and living legend is forced to lose for dramatic effect, and i'd thought they'd have learned from Letho.

They could have simply have had someone stab Jorund from behind, rather than discarding the players input entirely, clumsy railroaded way to deal with this.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

Had a string of terrible luck when it came to my cards tonight when I was trying to play a random blacksmith (ie. no special card giver).  He had a monster deck, where 90% of the time his melee row would multiply to ridiculous totals.  Only way to beat that is to have that weather card that turns all melee combat cards to 1, or to actually have a stacked hand of your own.  I had neither for like 7 straight games.

For my own deck, I kept being dealt the worst cards in my deck.  No hero cards, no spies, and no special cards.  Just a bunch of 5-rated and 6-rated normal cards, with some weather effect cards that weren't for taking out melee cards.

I finally beat him on the 8th attempt when I was (FINALLY!) dealt 3 hero cards, a couple of those melee affecting weather cards, and a couple of spy cards.

Are putting all cards you have into a deck?!

Just remove the useless cards from the deck and leave the most useful ones. It will highly reduce chance of getting crappy cards. 

Against monster deck the best way is to force opponent to use all his  cards in a single round or most of it. Also it helps to have more cards with spies or Scoiatael leader ability.

No, I use the minimum amount you're required to use (I think it's 22 cards minimum).  But I don't have enough strong cards to completely remove all my weaker ones.

It was just one of those strings of bad luck where I wasn't getting dealt any good cards.  It's actually one of the rare times it happens.  Usually I get at least one hero card and a couple of other decent cards.  Last night, for some reason, I just kept on getting nothing but the worst cards in my deck.