STEAM!

Rosbjerg

I figure Satan would be into ridiculously punishing and unfair platformers like I wanna Be the Boshy and f2p mobile games designed to part impressionable children with their parents' money.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm not gonna lie, I look at the Metacritic score. I know, I know...Metacritic is owned and operated by Satan, but for me it serves the purpose of getting a general opinion.

metacritic annoys.  a game gets only 20 total critic reviews, and most such reviews is from sources we ain't never read, so what does we actual learn?  only get 20 reviews and a couple inflated (or deflated) scores is gonna distort averages. and the user reviews is even more suspect with the tendency for folks to score games in response to perceived opposition scores.  m0mazboi likes the game and see a bunch o' zero scores, so he gives the game a 10 'cause all those zeroes is clear unfair and undeserved.  ch33zwh!zsamura! sees a bunch o' perfect ten scores and so makes his submission a zero to balance out the fanbois. 

for the enormous aaa releases, metacritic may have some value as the highs and lows balance out a bit, and there is no paucity o' critics.  dunno.

personal, we don't use meta.  we tend to look to a handful o' profeshnul reviewers and fellow gamers whose tastes appear to largely align with Gromnir's pov regarding games. our buying habits has us waiting, on average, 'bout six months post release 'fore considering a purchase. after six months am gonna have a fair bit o' feedback regarding a title we is considering, yes?  regardless o' metacritic, if Thing 1 and Thing 2 both liked Balls o' Brass: a Glengarry Glenn Ross Game, chances are Gromnir will give it a try.  if Thing 1 liked and Thing 2 did not, then perhaps we look to a few o' the folks we know on this board and others for input. ain't a foolproof system, but it has us rare feeling cheated by a game purchase.

sidenote: 6 month delay also gets us a cheaper and more stable product, which tends to make us less angry than many day 1 purchasers. a mediocre and stable game for $20 is admitted almost an entire different game than a $50 purchase rendered near unplayable by bugs.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

people that have a bone to pick with the developer reviews (I never understood these, but they exist for some reason).

I get it sometimes, like when Ark got review bombed because they released paid DLC while still in early access.  So I get it for a specific game, but not really for anything a developer may put out.

Well, the winter sales are over and I ended up adding these to my backlog:

-Red Alert 3 + Uprising Expansion

-Quake IV

-Culpa Innata 

-Strife

-Hexen + Heretic collection

-The Last Remnant 

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

• 2 weeks later...