RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

so, survivalist's Skyrim? sounds interesting. or maybe Far Cry would be more accurate

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

It would be interesting if there were actually survivalist elements apart from blasting away 10,000 Russian Ukrainian rapists.

In the beginning of the game they have you kill a deer for food and after that it never comes up again.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

wait, is this game out already? 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

That's a very sharp decline since the last expansion, I guess quite a few people were like me, give the game another go every now and again for nostalgia's sake but at some point you just give up the hope they'll actually improve upon the things you care about and move on.

Judging by that graph I kinda expect the spike at the beginning of each expansion to be less and less over time. Judging by how steeply the subscriptions fell off after WoD release I'd say they ought to be happy if they still hit 8million when the next expansion is released.

(I'm also kind of surprised there was no decline in subscriptions near the end of WotLK, that's when guilds on my realm started folding due to either being bored of killing the Lich King heroic, or being frustrated due to not being able to beat him on heroic...)

The was probably a fair bit of churn at the end of WoTLK, but as the trend for the preceding years at that point shows, they were still signing up brand new customers at that point to offset subscriber losses. Initially I thought it might have been the impact of the Annual Pass, that promotion they had that if you committed to a one-year subscription to WoW, you'd get Diablo 3 for free, but that was apparently late 2011.

There's also a big gap where subs were not reported between the end of 2009 and October 2010, so they may well have been a dip there that's effectively hidden by subs climbing back up on the crest of new expansion hype (see the September 2014 uptick).

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I just got a free DVR upgrade from Microsoft. My Xbox One will soon record over-the-air programming and stream it to any Win10 device. I might be chuffed to bits since I don't subscribe to cable or satellite and this fall has the most exciting network TV lineup in recent memory.  

addendum edit: of course not until next year will the functionality be ready. That's okay I'm sure the Fall 2016 network TV lineup will be the most exciting in recent memory since the 2015 season. 

double awesome addendum edit: watching the MS Gamescom briefing now, +infinity points for Man of Steel theme lead-off

triple redundant bush addendum edit: I'm onboard with Lara's new adventure, but why, oh why, and when, did bushes become cover and concealment. No one, in real life, ever, crouched while moving in total concealment within a deciduous bush. Not a single example in the multitude of low-growing leafy bush family of plants allows for a human-sized assassin to move freely within and without. Not idly do the leaves of Lothlórien fall, but it would indeed require a magical cloak and clasp to maneuver freely through a hedge. 

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

That's a very sharp decline since the last expansion, I guess quite a few people were like me, give the game another go every now and again for nostalgia's sake but at some point you just give up the hope they'll actually improve upon the things you care about and move on.

Judging by that graph I kinda expect the spike at the beginning of each expansion to be less and less over time. Judging by how steeply the subscriptions fell off after WoD release I'd say they ought to be happy if they still hit 8million when the next expansion is released.

(I'm also kind of surprised there was no decline in subscriptions near the end of WotLK, that's when guilds on my realm started folding due to either being bored of killing the Lich King heroic, or being frustrated due to not being able to beat him on heroic...)

It's not that sharp if you discount the spike caused by WoD. Seeing all the old Orc chieftains probably hit everybody who played a WarCraft product from WarCraft 1 to Burning Crusade in the nostalgia crotch. If you just average them out, it's a pretty regular product cycle playing out over a long time. I assume everyone who was done with the game and came back realized that, yeah, they were still done with the game. It's a really old game at this point.

Still, I came back for WoD and I'm having fun with it, but that's partially because I had a bunch of Cataclysm and Pandaria content to go through that I hadn't done and because I'm in a guild with mature people who don't raid as a fulltime job. Also, big surprise, Pandaria content was amazing. I kinda wish I hadn't discounted it as "that Panda expansion", would have been fun to have been there when it was relevant. It was better than WoD anyway. Hoping the expansion announcement tomorrow is gonna be something cool.

The reason why WoD has been such a disappointment is that it's all geared towards end game raiding so if that's not your thing, you might be better off passing on this one. I'm hoping the next expansion will have more to offer since I am running out of things to do - Pandaria had much more to offer, to the point I did some of their reputation grinds despite them not being relevant because progressing also gave you neat story quests.

Example: During the rep grind for Operation Shieldwall I went to war with the Horde, found a magical artifact, released and hung out with the legendary Monkey King (yes, they did go extremely stereotypically asian with its themes), saved the Prince of Stormwind and personally stopped Garrosh when he tried to unleash a weapon of destruction, doing all that story content without stepping foot into a single raid. It was a handful of scenarios and a bunch of quests. Lots of content for non-raiders. And at the end I got a completely revamped gryphon mount to finally replace that ancient TBC flying mount, so I had fun and I got rewarded.

To compare, Warlords of Draenor has no scenarios at all and their reputation grinds are mostly "kill mobs and touch random quest objectives until your bar fills up" with no real story progression. Not really fun, and there's no reason to do them if you don't raid.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, said raiding content is really good but it is also the only thing good about the expansion. Well, the leveling experience was pretty good too but that doesn't last very long.

Edited by TrueNeutral

Maybe I'm reading too much into that Mafia 3 trailer, but from the last line "Now you've seen what I'm willing to do for my family, what would you do for yours?" it seems like you might not be playing a preset character but instead you will make your own character (potentially a black woman with a fro, which would be awesome) and recruit your own gang family.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That's a good trailer. I enjoyed Mafia 2 so I'll be buying this game for sure 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm going to go out on a limb here, I realize this is a wild theory, never before seen in gaming, but I'm guessing Dana will be a love interest and will die at some point during the game.  Also, a hacking mini-game.  Wonderful, everybody loves those.

Snarky comments aside, I do like me some open world shooters, so hopefully this turns out good.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

That is definitely how you save a series from mediocrity.

Although, the watch doesn't have any numbers and it doesn't show real time. BTW is the bad guy Obama? I saw way too many drones in that video, that can't be NK.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

That is definitely how you save a series from mediocrity.

Although, the watch doesn't have any numbers and it doesn't show real time. BTW is the bad guy Obama? I saw way too many drones in that video, that can't be NK.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Now that's just sad.

Despite all it's  problems Mafia series used to have somewhat unique identity.

Seems like they are holding to script I know, i think it will not be bad, we will see

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"