RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Malc's post showed up just as I was writing, but he's got the most of it. Essentially, with the exception of the new Hellfire Citadel raid, there isn't a piece of content in the game right now that wasn't originally planned for the expansion's launch and still some of the stuff planned for the launch isn't in it, let alone the patch content they promised which would have the Farahlon and Ogre Empire zones. They also showed much more customization options for your garrison that didn't make it in. There's also story threads they talked about at BlizzCon that just got dropped - if you play alliance, one of the lead NPCs is a Draenei named Yrel and at BlizzCon it was said throughout the expansion we would find out about her dark secret, yet she turned out to be essentially a pristine Paladin character. Metzen also confirmed Grom Hellscream was the end boss of the expansion and he's... not. That may have been a red herring, but it's pretty blatantly a lie.

This combined with the fact that Warlords actually came out substantially later than Blizzard originally estimated (which isn't weird for Blizzard standards, but hasn't happened to their WoW expansions as much as their other titles) and having only two content patches, only one of which actually had any real content most of which was promised at launch - despite claiming they had doubled the size of their WoW content team - makes me think they had an internal problem with the game, cut a bunch of stuff out, and moved more manhours to the following expansion considering this one to be something of a lost cause. The fact that their general release timetable after an announcement means that this expansion will be able to capitalize on the big movie coming out next year also supports that idea - looks like they pushed all their manpower into the new expansion to make sure it'll be done in time for the movie.

Either way, we'll see on the 6th at Gamescon. I'm hoping for a playable demo, since I'm going to Gamescon on the 8th.

Just hoping there's nothing like the garrisons again, might have been an interesting idea but it kind of gutted gathering professions and some crafting ones as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I wouldn't mind something "like" the Garrisons as long as those problems are adressed and there's something else to do other than log in, play Facebook game, log out. Especially for someone like me who doesn't raid there's just not much else to do right now.

It would have been fun if the Garrison missions were scenarios you went on with your crew. I guess it would defeat the whole MMO thing, but garrisons took a step that way so might as well go all in.

Also, boo to taking out scenarios in general, was nice to have quick content.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Battletech! Automatic Day One Kickstarter territory.

In the meantime, King of Dragon Pass is now on Steam. It includes all the iOS updates, so it's different from the original CD-ROM and GOG versions.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Just hoping there's nothing like the garrisons again, might have been an interesting idea but it kind of gutted gathering professions and some crafting ones as well.

It's the micromanagement aspect I can't stand, I hate it so much despite it being easy money. Sure in previous expansions you've always had the daily cooldowns and such that gave moderate rewards to those hardcore enough to log in daily, but the garrison mission structure now rewards proportionally more for logging in three times a day on a schedule, if not more often. I've made more gold in WoD, in half a year, than I had in my previous 8 years of WoW combined so it may seem odd to complain, but it's also driving me to the edge of re-quitting. The problem is now going to be how they could possibly phase out the garrisons and the attendant income it provides in a graceful manner. If they do nothing, maintaining the old garrison will still be absolutely required if you don't want to be a hobo who can't afford to buy anything from the player economy. Will they dare to simply shut down the garrison missions completely as soon as the next expansion launches? Personally I'm hoping so.

Anyway, it's always been a stated goal of the development team to release expansions on an approximately annual basis. Five times they've tried, five times they've failed. This might be the closest yet to doing that, assuming an early release next year would give about a 15 month turnaround. That's probably what the idea of "doubling the development team" strategy was about. From a user perspective though, it's just paying more and getting less. Ignore the furphy about increasing the box price, that's fair enough with inflation, but I suspect with WoD being 2/3rds the size of previous expansions, this will be an ongoing strategy.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The gold from garrisons has already been nerfed, I'm sure they'll nerf it again. I'm thinking professions will be the way to make gold again next expansion, which means I seriously hope they overhaul the profession system because grinding mats and making crafts is the most boring thing on the planet.

I cant recall Battletech but I loved me some MW way back when. Ill back the Kickstarter whenever it launches.

BattleTech was the original tabletop game, MechWarrior was the RPG spinoff.  In BattleTech you controlled a bunch of BattleMechs (as well as infantry and aerial units which were added in expansions) and did battle against other armies.  In MechWarrior you generally played a single character, most often a BattleMech pilot.

Seeing as this is branded BattleTech, rather than MechWarrior, I would expect you will be commanding a (growing?) squad of units.  I'm imagining the game playing a bit like Fire Emblem or AdvanceWars, though we'll have to wait for the Kickstarter campaign and the pitch contained within to know for sure.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

New Clan Quest mod coming out in August

http://www.moddb.com/mods/vtmb-clan-quest-mod

Well, guess is time for another VTMB playthrough.

I aM no lOngEr HeRe.

Sweet, I enjoyed that game. Hot vampire Toreado women are always a good idea  :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I aM no lOngEr HeRe.

Sweet, I enjoyed that game. Hot vampire Toreado women are always a good idea  :thumbsup:

Bigot

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I aM no lOngEr HeRe.

Bigot

Yeah I know ..but I have to have my favorites  :fdevil:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I aM no lOngEr HeRe.

Mod includes the alternate music mod? IUf there is no option to use the mod without it I'll pass. I don't like other people deciding for me on these little things.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I aM no lOngEr HeRe.

I had to abandon my Toreador playthrough in Hollywood because the armour you get there is a ridiculous feathered coat and I just couldn't take it seriously anymore. Not that the game is worth playing past Hollywood, mind you.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Wasteland 2 Director's Cut has a release date

Hello Exiles,

We have some big news to share with you today, so we'll just cut right to the chase. Wasteland 2 Director's Cut will be releasing digitally on PC on October 13, 2015! Additionally, for Xbox One and PlayStation 4, digital and physical releases will be coming on October 13th in the Americas, and October 16th Worldwide!

W2_DC_01.jpg

W2_DC_02.jpg

W2_DC_03.jpg

W2_DC_04.jpg

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I aM no lOngEr HeRe.

Mod includes the alternate music mod? IUf there is no option to use the mod without it I'll pass. I don't like other people deciding for me on these little things.

Before installing it gives you the option of choosing which modules to install, you can check the ones you want.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif