RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

the policy of EA, Activision, Sony and other such giants is to use the game as bait to milk every last penny out of their customers, even if it has a negative PR impact

the policy of CDPR is to keep the customers happy so they will keep buying.

Yeah, see this is what I'm talking about.  This is irrational and hyperbolic.  

Don't get me wrong, I love my smaller studios.  They tend to produce games with more personality, more charm, whereas the big studios with their giant teams lose that in their quest for the biggest explosions and highest resolution facial tics.  I'm super happy that the industry is at a place where both the independent guys, the medium sized guys, and the big guys can co-exist.  

But every one of them is trying to do right by their customers (ok, some indie folks might not fit that ;) ) and every one of them is trying to turn a profit.  

FIFA 14 and FIFA 15. the only difference is that they moved some players around and they sell it as a new game. that is fraud and sooner or later people will get tired of it

to rephrase Bob's song "you can milk some people sometimes, but you cant milk all the people all the time"

the motto that goes around the industry right now is that "if you dont make players pay extra for every little thing, you are leaving money on the table"

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

So I guess when I buy season tickets, and my team puts most of the same players out there every year in the same arena with the same concessions, that is fraud?

edit:  As a San Jose Sharks fan, I might actually agree with you.   :thumbsup:

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Like 1

So EA/Ubi/Acti see games a service but CDPR isn't at that stage yet, is pretty much the base of it ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So I guess when I buy season tickets, and my team puts most of the same players out there every year in the same arena with the same concessions, that is fraud?

edit:  As a San Jose Sharks fan, I might actually agree with you.   :thumbsup:

now you are comparing CPUs to chickens

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

But every one of them is trying to do right by their customers (ok, some indie folks might not fit that wink.png ) and every one of them is trying to turn a profit.

What is 'do right' to you ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

"FIFA 14 and FIFA 15. the only difference is that they moved some players around and they sell it as a new game. that is fraud and sooner or later people will get tired of it"

\

Are you insane? You don't even know what fraud is. That's a hefty accusation and you have no proof. I bet you don't even buy those or other sports games yet you have the GALL to speak on behalf of those. Pathetic.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

FIFA 14 and FIFA 15. the only difference is that they moved some players around and they sell it as a new game. that is fraud and sooner or later people will get tired of it

to rephrase Bob's song "you can milk some people sometimes, but you cant milk all the people all the time"

the motto that goes around the industry right now is that "if you dont make players pay extra for every little thing, you are leaving money on the table"

I have no idea what did you expect from a Football game and its yearly releases to match seasons and periodical events like EuroCup, WorldCup, etc...

I mean...... sure I'd love them to expand for example a career gameplay, coach/manager stuff, but for that you have yearly releases of -wait for it, wait for it- Football Manager... and the movement of players and stat changes of  players match what happened in the season and the performance of those players...

It is milking the customer base, but it is hardly a fraud... fraud would be a false advertising or a **** port that does not meet the criteria of operational product like the most recent Batman, which resulted with its withdrawal from the Steam and mass refunds... The problem is that even those **** products would have hard time being called out a fraud...

"FIFA 14 and FIFA 15. the only difference is that they moved some players around and they sell it as a new game. that is fraud and sooner or later people will get tired of it"

\

Are you insane? You don't even know what fraud is. That's a hefty accusation and you have no proof. I bet you don't even buy those or other sports games yet you have the GALL to speak on behalf of those. Pathetic.

indeed i dont play them. i used them as a random example of the policy on game development that EA has: minimum effort/cost for maximum profit. maybe 2014 and 2015 are not like that, but i have read reviews and i know that several times this has been the case with the series. and this kind of thing happens with several series of many big publishers

i know what fraud is, however in my book, selling the same game every year with a different title is cutting it pretty close

Edited by teknoman2

-Teknoman2-

Ah, Ubisoft, raping my favourite franchises for years now :p

Derek Smart has always been a nutjob and that will most likely never change, but I'm also quite afraid that Star Citizen will turn out to be heavily molyneuxed when it is released. I wish Chris Roberts all the best for the many, many hours of awesome entertainment he's given me and that everythink works out just the way he wants it to, but the pessimist in me somehow doubts that. :) Hope I'm wrong.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I hope you are right, at this point, that firestorm is just too tempting :)

But every one of them is trying to do right by their customers (ok, some indie folks might not fit that wink.png ) and every one of them is trying to turn a profit.

What is 'do right' to you ?

Every single game company is trying to release a title that pleases their audience.  It isn't like they put a game on shelves, board up the offices and rush off to a tropical paradise to live off the profit for the rest of their lives.  (although I think a few of the kickstarter folks may have done that, particularly the Space Quest guys.   :blink: )

That doesn't mean they can't fail spectacularly.  But to assume they are intentionally trying to anger their customer base is unrealistic.  It is a balancing act.  Every company is attempting to maximize profits.

they dont try to anger the customer base, they just dont care about it's opinion since the hype train will demolish all voices of reason in its path and money will be made even with a crappy product.

the customer base is like a sleeping bear but as it happened with arkham knight, sometimes it wakes up and mauls the publishers if they poke it too hard

• Like 1

-Teknoman2-

How about playing Quake in Duke Nukem in Doom. I'll guess that would be something.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

(although I think a few of the kickstarter folks may have done that, particularly the Space Quest guys.   blink.png )

what?

I don't really think they ran away to a tropical paradise, but they got a pretty good chunk of change and don't seem to have much to show for it 3 years later.  I have the same concerns with the Quest for Glory folks.

(although I think a few of the kickstarter folks may have done that, particularly the Space Quest guys. blink.png )

what?

I don't really think they ran away to a tropical paradise, but they got a pretty good chunk of change and don't seem to have much to show for it 3 years later. I have the same concerns with the Quest for Glory folks.

The Coles have a lot to show, their problem was the team they have is scattered all over, so its hard to keep focused, and they keep changing the goals. They have changed their art style twice, and changed the gameplay style at least once, so they've had to start over. I'm hoping they are done changing everything though, if they are it should finish in the next year or so.

At least they have pretty regular updates to let backers know whats happening rather than just disappearing.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg