RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

As an aside, how is the DLC that CDPR is releasing any different than the multiplayer that EA is releasing?  They are both free, they both require infrastructure to maintain.  I believe you can still make purchases for the DA multiplayer though, which would seem to be a wiser business decision, but I am sure some will see as avarice.   :shrugz:  

You said it yourself.  They're doing it to encourage people to continue playing the MP and hope it leads to some of those people doing the microtransactions.  It's the same strategy for those free-to-play games where they'll give players some freebies to lure them in, then hope that they get hooked and want to buy the better loot instead of having to grind to get that loot.

That's different than CDPR because there's no "better loot" that you have to buy.  It's not aimed to pull you in so that you'll then get so invested that they offer you better loot for actual money in order to do well in the campaign.  It's just extra DLC that adds to the existing main game.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

So CDPR is a benevolent company.  Wonderful.  

You asked what the difference was in the two strategies and what their ultimate end-goal is for those strategies.  I gave you an answer.  You respond with sarcasm bordering on a strawman.

I'm disappointed in you, Hurl.  You're usually a better poster than that.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Commissar Holt is pleased.

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm not praising or vilifying them.  They are just a video game company.  My post was in response to this:

I´m not sure. It´s all specualtion anways, but i doubt EA would do anything for their customers for a good will...they sure as hell not...so DA:I MP has no players, not a surprise.

I'm simply saying that, when it makes good business sense, they have no problem releasing free content.

As an aside, how is the DLC that CDPR is releasing any different than the multiplayer that EA is releasing?  They are both free, they both require infrastructure to maintain.  I believe you can still make purchases for the DA multiplayer though, which would seem to be a wiser business decision, but I am sure some will see as avarice.   :shrugz:  

I don't have to play an in-game lottery with microtransaction options to access CDPR's content. Wouldn't that suck! Spend 3,000 gold for a chance to unlock Ciri's new outfit. But don't worry if you run out of coin trying to get it, you can buy new chances for $1.50.

That's aside from how cynical their inclusion of multiplayer in DAI was overall. 

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Not impressed... some of the things were so stupid in that gameplay that they made me do "Wut?" expression to the max... from the parachute landing sequence, through odd horizontal and downward grapple to 'splosions everywhere... Not my type of a game... i will leave this to kids...

I'd really like a decent Horus Heresy arrpeegee.

RPG or ARPG (hard to tell with that term :p) It'd be boring to be either a Chaos or Loyalist marine or Army (or Eldar or Ork anyway) in 30k. Inquisition is a nice way for mook humans to do the typical RPG stuff. Hm, think Rogue Traders were around then too.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Bioware could do that. 18 guys all with major issues and angst.

Actually, it's becoming a theme.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

You asked what the difference was in the two strategies and what their ultimate end-goal is for those strategies.  I gave you an answer.  You respond with sarcasm bordering on a strawman.

My apologies.   :blush:

I suppose I am just tired of the constant 'EA is teh evil empire' talk we get on here regularly, while CDPR is a bastion of maturity and integrity *winks at mkranky*

I just see them as video game companies trying to turn a profit.   

Edited by Hurlshot

You said it yourself.  They're doing it to encourage people to continue playing the MP and hope it leads to some of those people doing the microtransactions.  It's the same strategy for those free-to-play games where they'll give players some freebies to lure them in, then hope that they get hooked and want to buy the better loot instead of having to grind to get that loot.

That's different than CDPR because there's no "better loot" that you have to buy.  It's not aimed to pull you in so that you'll then get so invested that they offer you better loot for actual money in order to do well in the campaign.  It's just extra DLC that adds to the existing main game.

There is no better loot that you have to buy in DAI multiplayer either, the purchases are optional. There's optional stuff to buy if you're impatient or like dress up (?), but it is optional. The strategy there is not just getting people to buy microtransactions though, it's also to keep the game in people's minds once the SP is finished in case there is are more dlcs/ sequels, or if the person with the demo didn't buy the SP they may later if they enjoy the MP. It's certainly an economic rather than an altruistic approach but...

CDPR isn't doing their free dlc out of the goodness of their hearts either. It gets press, it garners goodwill from people who hate microtransaction/ trivial dlc and it keeps the game in the public eye and selling longer, and lasts part way until their paid expansion arrives. There's no doubt they could have released their dlc on a far accelerated timetable or even all at once, if they wanted to, or bundled it into the game at release as it is mainly quite trivial reskins and simple quests. They don't do that because they want the publicity. That is particularly important because of that already announced paid expansion pack for TW3- and exactly as I have said previously when this subject has come up: that isn't marketed as being 'dlc' but as an 'expansion pass' precisely because CDPR only do free 'dlc'.

I like CDPR as much as anyone but their strategy is most certainly aimed at getting more sales, it just isn't via nickel-and-diming.

• Like 1

the policy of EA, Activision, Sony and other such giants is to use the game as bait to milk every last penny out of their customers, even if it has a negative PR impact

the policy of CDPR is to keep the customers happy so they will keep buying.

the first rule of comerce is "respect the customer and he will come buy again; try to F him and you will lose more customers than just him". sooner or later the giants than keep F-ing the customers will start to see how wrong that practice is

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

the first rule of comerce is "respect the customer and he will come buy again; try to F him and you will lose more customers than just him". sooner or later the giants than keep F-ing the customers will start to see how wrong that practice is

I'd like to think that is true, but how many times has Ubisoft ****ed their customers or released a pile of bugs, yet people still buy the crap out of every AssCreed reskin they put out every 6 months. I imagine there is a threshold of crap where even the mainstream will abandon a publisher, but it seems they'll get to pile the mountain of crap up pretty high, and laugh all the way to the bank the whole time, before we reach that threshold.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

the policy of EA, Activision, Sony and other such giants is to use the game as bait to milk every last penny out of their customers, even if it has a negative PR impact

the policy of CDPR is to keep the customers happy so they will keep buying.

Yeah, see this is what I'm talking about.  This is irrational and hyperbolic.  

Don't get me wrong, I love my smaller studios.  They tend to produce games with more personality, more charm, whereas the big studios with their giant teams lose that in their quest for the biggest explosions and highest resolution facial tics.  I'm super happy that the industry is at a place where both the independent guys, the medium sized guys, and the big guys can co-exist.  

But every one of them is trying to do right by their customers (ok, some indie folks might not fit that ;) ) and every one of them is trying to turn a profit.  

• Like 1

After all these years, I kind of hoped he would have grown up.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

This is a pretty fun soap opera :D

As for the publisher issue, I have no doubt that every single one of them wants to turn as much profit as possible (that's the ultimate goal of every business) and to keep their customers happy. The difference is in how much emphasis each publisher puts on profit margin vs customer satisfaction.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• Like 1

Yeah well...CA's "In-Game" pre-release trailers/demos don't hold up well when playing against the real thing.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle