RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

I'll be getting it but I also know one of the devs, an artist, so I'm doing it to support her as much as I am for the game itself. :shrugz:

Among other things, like in-game assets, she did the cover art:

CJhCqlpUAAAXYku.jpg

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade
  • Like 2

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I wasn't expecting Siege of Dragonspear to bridge Baldur's Gate and its sequel the way it did, and I was pleasantly surprised, especially looking back from Baldur's Gate II and seeing how the mid-prequel sets the stage for events to come.

- Chris Avellone

Siege made me feel as if I'd come home after a long absence to find old friends waiting for me, with the same life and spark I remembered from when they first journeyed by my side.

- Chris Avellone

http://www.siegeofdragonspear.com/

I am loving those quotes. They read like machine generated user feedback on a niche sex object site. 

Hopefully, against all prior evidence, something good will come of this.

• Like 4

* BIGGER THAN Tales of Sword Coast & Throne of Bhaal Together.

That's pretty impressive.

I wonder if this game will completely bridge the gap to the point of explaining why we end up with Minsc, Jaheira, Khalid, and Dynaheir.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I wonder if this game will completely bridge the gap to the point of explaining why we end up with Minsc, Jaheira, Khalid, and Dynaheir.

Based on the stream I believe the answer is yes. They didn't confirm it outright, but kinda hinted at it when someone asked if you would be able to finish with same party you started SoD with.

"That's pretty impressive."

\

It's also a lie. They claim it is bigger than both TOTSC and TOB combined yet also claim it is 25 hours. TOB is longer than 25 hours by itself EASILY. So, no way this is longer than them if the 25 hour claim is remotely accurately.

Too bad too ebcause this is the first thing that Beamdog has announced/is doing that has remotely interested me. I might even have picked it up but if they can't even be truthful in such a detail then it will be ahrd to take rest of the hyper seriously. Might very well cost them a sale (not that they care). Plus, the Avellone quotes are just beyond silly.

"wow, a Sword Coast Legends killer."

Doubtful. If SCL bombs it is gonna be on its own demerits.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, TotSC an ToB were just Two CDs. In today's world, it's easy to make game with more than 1,5GB... So in the end, they might be telling a truth :rolleyes:

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Well we will have to see, i doubt it will be that big, but i´m open to surprise.

I fear bad writing, i was not really impressed by the content Beamdog made for BG. It was...blant..in my opinion. I will still get it, but probably not on day one considering on how Beamdog managed to add more bugs into a 10+ years old game than a heavily modded version of the classic (with more content), or fix less than one mod only. So...we will see, not much hope anyway.

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives one."

I saw some of the twitch. There seems to be no real info on quest design or gameplay mechanics, other than, of course, the IE base that it's built on (which already takes them pretty far, though). What we can actually see:

-Meh writing... but this isn't actually an issue yet, since a lot of BG writing was pretty pedestrian and yet added up to more than the sum of their parts. It's also hard to judge writing until you see a good chunk of it. Of course, their atrocious writing in the 'enhanced editions' doesn't bode well, but we need more info. 

-Environments look nice. All they needed to do was copy & paste the old BG style seamlessly and it seems they are doing that OK.

-Utterly atrocious UI. Again. It's amazing how they take one of the best looking UIs in RPGs and utterly mangle it every single time. Just don't change it. You're terrible. Don't touch it. Why is the solid, skeuomorphic BG UI elements suddenly mixed with floaty, wiry, NWN-style 'modern'? Why is everything suddenly floating around? Who thought the big white Windows arrow for the log merges well with anything in the game? Why are the old icons resized so that they look really compressed, and then all of your new icons are so big they hardly fit in the icon box? Why do you have a multicoloured wizard's hat that disagrees with every part of the colour palette in the entire game? Why are the spell descriptions starting right at the top of the faux book page without an offset, so that it doesn't look like you're reading from a book, it looks like you're looking at somebody trying to copy-paste text using their feet to control the mouse? Why do all the text headings in the inventory have atrocious ugly borders? WHY?!

-And why are the sprites changed to look like cardboard cutouts? OK, sprites are cardboard cutouts but the BG ones looked beautiful. Why do they all now look like cheap Walmart "cut out heroes" merchandise propped up with pieces of paper? Why did you change something that looks so great? WHY?!

You know it should be easy to make literally everybody in this forum open their wallets. Just copy-paste everything from the old games, do a new campaign, maybe judiciously add some interesting mechanics. I'm certainly hoping that's what we get. So far, we have (1) a history of crap cash-grab 'enhanced editions' that demonstrated atrocious UI design and writing skills; (2) a game announcement that doesn't really tell us any new gameplay feature except for the Shaman class; (3) some good environmental art. 

I really hope they start showing us stuff that we can actually classify as 'improvements' soon, as opposed to 'eh mods did it 10 years ago' or 'oh god why'.

wow, a Sword Coast Legends killer.

That game doesn't need anything else to kill it. 
  • Like 4

Impressions are good. Does not compare to the rough state it was in. It went from Alpha to Beta today so will try the content complete build today and post my thoughts.

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Hmm i think i might have to check out Sattelitte reign again if it's so near completion. edit: oh i alreadz have it installed and updated. :D

Edited by Majek
  • Like 1

1.13 killed off Ja2.

That's really sad.  I knew he had been having health issues recently, I guess they got the best of him.  ;(

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/13/deus-ex-mankind-divided-interview/

“I like the gun arms a lot but I have to be consistent so I’m going to talk about the Icarus Dash,” says Fortier. “It’s a really interesting one because it’s very versatile. Augmentations for me are basically tools of expression for players. That’s how we think about them. How can you use them in creative ways and combine them in different settings and for stealth or combat? The Icarus Dash is a good example of that because you can use it to smash people and clear the way but you can dash straight into cover as well and combine it with the cloaking system and suddenly you have a really powerful tool to go across the environment stealthily or you can use it for exploration and reach hard-to-reach places and be really thorough.”

Sounds fun.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling