RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

I'm currently playing BGEE (I bought all 3 when they were on sale during Steam's summer sale) and I appreciate what they've done (though, admittedly, I could never get the widescreen mod to work, so I appreciate the resolution options more than some might.)  I've only encountered a couple bugs (the endless combat music and the end of Rasaad's quest not firing the dialogue), so nothing terribly bad.  I like the quick loot (though I wish it would stack things like picking them up normally) and have found the added content okay.  It's occasionally funny, occasionally lame, which is pretty much in keeping with the rest of the writing in BG.  My only complaint is that they added weight to throwing daggers, which makes being a dagger thrower kind of a pain.

I consider myself cautiously optimistic about Adventure Y (the game they're making in between BG1 and BG2) but it's certainly not something I intend to get at release (or at full price.)

The usual internetish hyperbole. The EEs where no more buggy than your typical Obsidian or Bethesda release, they incorporated stuff from old mods because some of the Beamdog team where the people who wrote those old mods in the first place, and the new content, whilst not as good as the original stuff, still managed to be entertaining.

I'm happy when ANYONE makes a new infinity engine type game, because even a poor effort is better than the rest of the trash the computer gaming industry produces.

I'm very forgiving of bugs (hard not to enjoy half of the Obsidian games otherwise), but when you make "improvements" that are amateurish, negligible, and/or recreate what mods have done for years, then charge twice as much money as the good old versions, and then you have some bugs, you really have to ask yourself why this thing exists in the first place. 

As I say, if they just came out one day and said "we want to make a new IE game", I'd have best wishes and hopes for them. Currently, their track record is money-grubbing through three enhancements that hardly need to exist. 

I would say the main reason they exist is that:

a) Some people aren't old enough to have played them first time around and;

b) for the mobile port.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH BOI

http://www.rebellion.co.uk/blog/2015/6/29/an-open-letter-to-battlezone-fans

http://rebelliondevelopments.tumblr.com/post/122765145116/an-open-letter-to-battlezone-fans

An open letter to Battlezone fans

Dear Battlezone fans

Firstly, thank you so much for all the great feedback we’ve received following the unveiling of our Battlezone reboot for virtual reality devices.

Having to keep quiet about something we’re crazy excited for has been a challenge, so to finally showcase it at E3 and see so many people just as excited for the game was really gratifying.

As our teaser trailer revealed, our VR version of Battlezone is very much a reboot of Atari’s 1980 arcade classic, a game we’re very fond of at Rebellion. However, we also know that a number of you are fans of the 1998 and 1999 Battlezone games released by Activision that re-imagined the franchise as a groundbreaking hybrid of FPS and RTS gameplay. Naturally when we made our announcement last week some of you asked, “But what about the newer Battlezone games? What are you doing with them?”

Well, we’ve read your comments, articles, emails and posts and we’ve seen your love for these games – so we wanted to make another brief announcement:

We’re very pleased to reveal that we’re also working on a remaster of the 1998 Battlezone for PC.

It’s still early days but when we’re ready to show you more you’ll be the first to know. All we can say for now is that whichever vision of Battlezone you love, you’ve not been forgotten!

Thanks for reading

Ken miller and Nate Mates are freaking out ATM on BZforums and BZC =D, also mike arkin said that

WELCOME BACK RAVE GUN!

• Like 3

Yeah, I don't see who else will realistically do it?

They seem to have the IP around the Forgotten Realms from a development perspective so it should be feasible?

Because so far they haven't really shown that they can handle a project of that size.

Sure, I could say they haven't been given a chance really but if they have battled this much with EE you right its probably not a good bet to think they could deliver on such a massive undertaking like BG3  :blink:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Fallout: Risen/Gothic-style!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/new-pcxbox-oneps4-post-apocalyptic-open-world-rpg-/1100-6428598/

"New PC/Xbox One/PS4 Post-Apocalyptic Open-World RPG "Elex" Announced"

sounds ok, will see how pirantha deliver, didnt like much from them after Gothic 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I love how Piranha Bytes continues the great European trend of "good games with unsellable names". ELEX. It's short for Eclectic, Lavish, Exhilarating and Xenial. Really.

I'll still buy it of course, as the sucker I am.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Didn't even bought Risen 3 yet... Back in the years I bought all their games on release day. Guess it's good they do something more or less different this time. People seem fedup with Gothic / Risen.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Generic Openworld Trite Historically Inaccurate Cliche

• Like 1

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

the first 2 Gothic games (especially the first) were among the most original fantasy settings ever. the best thing about them was how realistic (and atypical of the fantasy genre) the character's personalities were

they lost the ball with the 3rd, because they focused on the (fan made) rivalry with oblivion and not on the game itself, so the game lost its identity and became rather generic. couple it with the fact that their only talented designer (and the lead designer of PB) died during Gothic 3's development and nobody had the skill to replace him, and you get why their games since then are mediocre

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

the first 2 Gothic games (especially the first) were among the most original fantasy settings ever. the best thing about them was how realistic (and atypical of the fantasy genre) the character's personalities were

they lost the ball with the 3rd, because they focused on the (fan made) rivalry with oblivion and not on the game itself, so the game lost its identity and became rather generic. couple it with the fact that their only talented designer (and the lead designer of PB) died during Gothic 3's development and nobody had the skill to replace him, and you get why their games since then are mediocre

so lets hope new one will be better, I really liked first 2 gothics

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I love how Piranha Bytes continues the great European trend of "good games with unsellable names". ELEX. It's short for Eclectic, Lavish, Exhilarating and Xenial. Really.

I'll still buy it of course, as the sucker I am.

You were the first poster I thought of when I read the article.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

And for anyone wondering why some people are raving about decades old games but are put off by the basic graphics, check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VlYS9HVWv8

They are still working on improving Gothic 2. Makes me want to reinstall it again.

• Like 1

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I like this Phil Spencer guy, the new Xbox head. He recently praised Playstation boss Shuhei Yoshida for playing Bloodborne, a Sony exclusive.

friends_zpsjnebfx9i.png

Shu has the Platinum Trophy for Bloodborne, btw

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

Internet troll, bane of Coke machines, developer that has ambition that never really realizes it (or is basically what happens when some forum elitist decides to make a game). I tried All Aspect Warfare, glad I didn't pay for that :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nah, but I found it funny to see him doing it. His points may be valid though, once you ignore some shattering glass. I do sort of hope SC fails just to see the fury that will unleash.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nah, but I found it funny to see him doing it. His points may be valid though, once you ignore some shattering glass. I do sort of hope SC fails just to see the fury that will unleash.

That's because at heart Malc, you have the unceasing thirst of an evil, internet troll. ;)

But yes, even if you're taking that with a large dose of salt, there's a lot of valid (or potentially valid) points made about how the scope of Star Citizen has changed and everything is running overdue with some rather silly funding extras.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I've long had the suspicion that Star Citizen is going to be one extremely lengthy crowdfunding campaign that never actually produces results, at least not results anywhere near in line with expectations.  I do hope it does some day fully release and is awesome, but I'm very skeptical.  If it were to fail spectacularly, it would be humorous from a  schadenfraude perspective, but it also might effectively kill crowdfunding once and for all.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

No one important then. :p

He is an important figure in internet history.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."