RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Is there already a conspiracy saying that this is done on purpose to prove how consoles have more power than pc?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Is there already a conspiracy saying that this is done on purpose to prove how consoles have more power than pc?

Without doing any research, I'm going to say yes, I'm sure someone out there is saying that the console manufacturers paid off WB Games to cripple the PC port.  The far more likely scenario is that Iron Galaxy, the company that did the Windows port:

a) were not given suitable time to do a proper port and had to throw it together slapdash

b) were not given the proper resources to do a proper port

c) were not competent enough to do a proper port and were hired because they were the lowest bidder

d) all of the above

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't think even the most delusional Mountain Dew guzzler believes that.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

whoa! talk about a comeback, that game is like... a billion years old, or something

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

http://www.baldursgate.com

So they are releasing... or announcing... something. Apologies if this isn't even news, I guess.

edit: ah, so it's an adventure bridging the gap between BG1 and 2. And it was announced a while ago, so I guess it's not really news. Oh well.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Had my fingers crossed for Icewind Dale II  :banghead:

In other news: Had basically zero interest in Ghost Recon: Wildlands until the Giant Bombcast put it to me like this: The parts of "Clear and Present Danger" with the illegal special ops teams tear-assing in the jungles of Colombia:

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Had my fingers crossed for Icewind Dale II  bangheadir0.gif

In other news: Had basically zero interest in Ghost Recon: Wildlands until the Giant Bombcast put it to me like this: The parts of "Clear and Present Danger" with the illegal special ops teams tear-assing in the jungles of Colombia:

Meh, even less interest after that line. Thought it ending with the commandos being butchered like cattle might be something.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Planetscape: Tournament: Enhanced Edition with added dialogue and content from their new employee, Chris Avellone.

Meh, Planetscape Tournament 99 is still the gold standard, they went down hill after that.   :shifty:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Just uploaded a new version of my Betsy mod. It's main purpose is to add a fail-safe mechanism for one of the new NPCs. Depending on the player using mods like Freesie Open, he could spawn in the wrong cell, making it impossible for the player to reach him, and therefore making it impossible to finish the companion quest. Originally I've added a compatibility patch for that, but people are unable to read... so now I've used the crowbar to workaround this issue.

Still makes me kinda happy though, as I never liked to have an extra compatibility patch.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

That is the only thing I'm interested in from them... Wouldn't even care about that, but the original works pretty bad on modern PCs.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

http://www.baldursgate.com

So they are releasing... or announcing... something. Apologies if this isn't even news, I guess.

edit: ah, so it's an adventure bridging the gap between BG1 and 2. And it was announced a while ago, so I guess it's not really news. Oh well.

A pity, I was hoping for a BG3 announcement 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I hope they release something good, because they sure as hell haven't done so in their entire history so far. All that pointless nostalgia cash-grabbing would ultimately be a little less terrible if we got a nice game out of it.

They do have some long-time IE modders on board, and I have a lot of goodwill for them.

• Like 2

Has any of the content the Beamdog themselves have created for the Enhanced Editions been any good?  I haven't played any of the EEs because I have no desire to replay any of the IE games I've already played, which is to say, all of them.  An all new game, on the other hand, I might be interested in playing, assuming it was interesting.  Hence why I ask about the content Beamdog has created on their own.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

A pity, I was hoping for a BG3 announcement.

From Beamdog?

tommy-lee-jones-implied-face-palm.png

Yeah, I don't see who else will realistically do it?

They seem to have the IP around the Forgotten Realms from a development perspective so it should be feasible? 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Has any of the content the Beamdog themselves have created for the Enhanced Editions been any good?  I haven't played any of the EEs because I have no desire to replay any of the IE games I've already played, which is to say, all of them.  An all new game, on the other hand, I might be interested in playing, assuming it was interesting.  Hence why I ask about the content Beamdog has created on their own.

They started off with a buggy trash that added amateurish content, replicated some things mods have done for years, and added an ugly UI. Their second and third tries, it seems, went a bit better. If you feel like paying twice the price, that is. 

If they were a new studio announcing this adventure, I'd simply wish and hope for the best. Harder to do so when they've raised cash in this ridiculous way, and along the way have hardly shown a great deal of talent.

The usual internetish hyperbole. The EEs where no more buggy than your typical Obsidian or Bethesda release, they incorporated stuff from old mods because some of the Beamdog team where the people who wrote those old mods in the first place, and the new content, whilst not as good as the original stuff, still managed to be entertaining.

I'm happy when ANYONE makes a new infinity engine type game, because even a poor effort is better than the rest of the trash the computer gaming industry produces.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

They seem to have the IP around the Forgotten Realms from a development perspective so it should be feasible?

Because so far they haven't really shown that they can handle a project of that size.

The usual internetish hyperbole. The EEs where no more buggy than your typical Obsidian or Bethesda release, they incorporated stuff from old mods because some of the Beamdog team where the people who wrote those old mods in the first place, and the new content, whilst not as good as the original stuff, still managed to be entertaining.

I'm happy when ANYONE makes a new infinity engine type game, because even a poor effort is better than the rest of the trash the computer gaming industry produces.

While there is a degree of hyperbole (this IS the internet) involved, the claims regarding bugs were fairly spot-on. They managed to release a two products with literally hundreds of bugs (many of them brand new, game-breaking issues), after a huge amount of debugging work had been done by the community throughout the last decade. They also managed to break compatibility with some of the most popular mods around (Dave Gaider's Ascension).

As far as the new content goes, quality varies, but I didn't think it was as bad as everyone had led me to believe. I wouldn't pay full price for the EEs, but if they go on sale...

edit: even though I own IWDEE, I haven't actually gotten around to playing it, so I can't comment on the quality of that one.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Pretty much everything launches with hundreds of game breaking bugs these days. BGEE launched with about the same level of buggieness that PoE did. The cut scenes where a bigger loss IMO.

IWDEE works fine, but it doesn't really add anything to the original game apart from lots of kits. Sorcerers completely mess up the spell shortage that was a feature of the original game, but then you don't have to play one. HoF mode is just as broken as it always was.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

A pity, I was hoping for a BG3 announcement.

From Beamdog?

tommy-lee-jones-implied-face-palm.png

Yeah, but can they make combat as fun with whatever the latest version of D&D is? I seriously doubt they'll be allowed to use 2nd edition for a new game, and then there's the risk that they'll start fiddling with things *they* consider to have been "bad" in BG2 (on top of whatever changes were made to the ruleset already) and we'll end up with another PoE... (looks like a duck, squawks like a duck, but swims like something else entirely)

I wish they'd just leave BG be, the studio that made it is gone, the talent that made it is scattered to the wind and the saga was complete. If they want to make a BG-style game set in the Forgotten Realms, I'm all for it, there's a definite lack of *good* RtwP games that have been coming out. (there's SitS, which I really should get around to, dunno of any others really)

Give them a chance to prove they can do it. But don't abuse our dreams by piggybacking on BG, they'll more than likely just be crushed once more anyway (not to mention that the backlash should they fail to deliver would be beyond epic...).

I'm very forgiving of bugs (hard not to enjoy half of the Obsidian games otherwise), but when you make "improvements" that are amateurish, negligible, and/or recreate what mods have done for years, then charge twice as much money as the good old versions, and then you have some bugs, you really have to ask yourself why this thing exists in the first place. 

As I say, if they just came out one day and said "we want to make a new IE game", I'd have best wishes and hopes for them. Currently, their track record is money-grubbing through three enhancements that hardly need to exist. 

• Like 1