RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS

Rosbjerg

Apparently Batman Arkham Knight is the worst PC port ever witnessed. Not only atrociously optimized but also a downgrade from the console version with muddier textures and missing effects.

http://i.imgur.com/3YYZGlx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/f3Sgzaa.jpg

I hoped the PC architecture of the new consoles would help us to avoid stuff like this but apparently not...oh well, back to being 100% cynical  :facepalm:

Apparently Batman Arkham Knight is the worst PC port ever witnessed. 

Saints Row 2 says hello.

I guess this is one case where the Linux port coming later might be a blessing in disguise.  Hopefully Feral Interactive do a much better job on the Linux port than Iron Galaxy did on the Windows port.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I have to admit, I never found the Saints Row 2 port that much of a  hassle. Okay, it looked a little dated, but no glitches or outwardly awkward controls...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I have to admit, I never found the Saints Row 2 port that much of a  hassle. Okay, it looked a little dated, but no glitches or outwardly awkward controls...

Everything being massively sped up didn't bother you?

Hm, nothing actually came across as massively sped up compared to most games over the last decade.  It was stable, and nothing jumped out as an issue.Hell, the last time I replayed SR2 was about.. hm. 2-3 years ago now thinking about it.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Hm, nothing actually came across as massively sped up compared to most games over the last decade.  It was stable, and nothing jumped out as an issue.Hell, the last time I replayed SR2 was about.. hm. 2-3 years ago now thinking about it.

Not everyone had problems with it, the performance of the port was all over the place.  I guess that is true of all games, to some degree, with a game running like a dream on one computer and having problems on another (with similar level hardware specs), but Saints Row 2 is a very extreme example.  It's been a while, but I think the game's speed was actually tied to framerate and there was no way to cap the framerate (I remember games having issues like that in the past, but that was the 80s).  So, if you had a beefy rig that could run the game at 120 FPS, then everything in the game was going at hyper speed.  There were graphical glitches, keybindings not working, crashes to desktop.  It worked fine for some people and was COMPLETELY unplayable for others.  The Gentlemen of the Row mod fixed a lot of the problems, though some required weird workarounds as some of the problems were hardcoded into the game.

One issue I had with the game, though I'm not sure if this was a PC only problem, was how insanely twitchy the vehicle steering was.  You could tweak an ini to lower the steering sensitivity and make the cars much more driveable.  Unfortunately, tweaking the steering sensitivity did so not just for the player, but for every vehicle in the game, and the driving AI was hardcoded to the original steering sensitivity, so when you turned steering sensitivity down all the AI drivers constantly crashed into each other causing massive pileups at every intersection.  This was pretty hilarious for a while, but got annoying after a while, especially since it broke driving missions, so I had to put the sensitivity back to original and just deal with how twitchy the handling was.

It's too bad because it's a very good game that I never got to really enjoy because I've never been able to get it to run well on any machine I've owned.  I suppose I should give it a shot on my current monster desktop rig, though running it through WINE isn't likely to help me out in getting it to work properly.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The bad performance in Arkham Knight is just one thing. Obvious bugs will get fixed and people will just raw power it in the future. But it is also a fairly in your face visual downgrade from the console version. Which will never get fixed unless by mods.

I've told this before, but my ps3 copy of Saints Row 2 locked up on the final mission and became completely unplayable. The game just died. I put in about 60 hpurs before then, so I wasnt too mad. But I dont think the issues were limited to the porting process.

Not everyone had problems with it, the performance of the port was all over the place.  I guess that is true of all games, to some degree, with a game running like a dream on one computer and having problems on another (with similar level hardware specs), but Saints Row 2 is a very extreme example.  It's been a while, but I think the game's speed was actually tied to framerate and there was no way to cap the framerate (I remember games having issues like that in the past, but that was the 80s).  So, if you had a beefy rig that could run the game at 120 FPS, then everything in the game was going at hyper speed.  There were graphical glitches, keybindings not working, crashes to desktop.  It worked fine for some people and was COMPLETELY unplayable for others.  The Gentlemen of the Row mod fixed a lot of the problems, though some required weird workarounds as some of the problems were hardcoded into the game.

One issue I had with the game, though I'm not sure if this was a PC only problem, was how insanely twitchy the vehicle steering was.  You could tweak an ini to lower the steering sensitivity and make the cars much more driveable.  Unfortunately, tweaking the steering sensitivity did so not just for the player, but for every vehicle in the game, and the driving AI was hardcoded to the original steering sensitivity, so when you turned steering sensitivity down all the AI drivers constantly crashed into each other causing massive pileups at every intersection.  This was pretty hilarious for a while, but got annoying after a while, especially since it broke driving missions, so I had to put the sensitivity back to original and just deal with how twitchy the handling was.

It's too bad because it's a very good game that I never got to really enjoy because I've never been able to get it to run well on any machine I've owned.  I suppose I should give it a shot on my current monster desktop rig, though running it through WINE isn't likely to help me out in getting it to work properly.

From what I remember from trying to get SR2 to run somewhat properly not too long ago (after finishing SR IV, in fact) the steering sensitivity thing is related to the massive speedup, it's one of the ways that you can see you are suffering from the speedup problem according to the stuff I read back then. The rest of the game stays playable with the speed problem (although it looks weird/funny), but driving is just broken.

I can't watch the video at the moment but I hope it's not the case. The last Shadow Warrior was made to be like Unreal or Quake using modern tech. It was about as stealthy as a game can be without stealth mechanics and the need to kill every last enemy in a massive horde of enemies every step of the way before being able to access the next area.

Oh. I see what you did there.

Edited by Serrano

Shame that Advent guy didn't look more like Steve Jobs.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

A bit funny how the IGN guy never seems to understand how the whole thing is scripted.

Well, we are talking about IGN, a place where "journalism" means "we take what the publishers tell us at face value and regurgitate it to our audience with disgusting levels of staged enthusiasm".  

While Nintendo will likely never give us another F-Zero...

*sniff*

Hold on...  Give me a moment...

/sobs uncontrollably

//tries to compose himself

///takes a deep breath

I guess we'll have to make due with this:

This looks a lot more like Wipeout than it does F-Zero, but the prospect of a Wipeout spiritual successor is pretty appealing in and of itself.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸