Hi all,

Its been a while since I played PoE, due to real life concerns but now I am back to playing the game.

One of my favorite archetypes to play is to roleplay as an Indiana Jones-esque character.

To do that I usually make a Rogue/Wizard multiclass who is very knowledgeable and spends his time dungeon delving for artifacts.  If say the rules of that world do not allow rogues to use magic then I make a very intelligent & knowledgeable rogue. 

My question is can you do this in PoE ? Can you play as a Rogue that is capable of using magic ? If I cannot do that, can I make a highly intelligent and knowledgeable rogue ? 

Cheers and have a good day. 

You can't use magic except with scrolls and spellbind items. But an intelligent rogue is very viable because of longer deep wounds duration.

I'll second this.  That said, you aren't required to have a high INT to cast high level spells, though it does help with durations and size of AoE's.  Instead, you need a high Lore skill score. 

Also, I'd be hesitant to be too much of an aggressive scroll-spell casting rogue.  My reasoning is this.  The number of really high level scrolls for scroll-spell casting is limited, and they're usually spells you want to save for critical major boss battles, rather than against your run of the mill monsters.  And yet having said that, it doesn't hurt to have about 3 characters in a party of 6 who have high Lore scores so that in those critical major boss battles where you want to use those scrolls, you have some (Lore) skilled people able to fire off those nasty scroll spells.

Just something to think about.

I will not be making an aggressive spell casting rogue. I mean I am making an Indiana Jones type character.

So he should be very intelligent in that he is an expert in history. In game this should translate as someone with a high Lore skill. 

What's more, I would make him into a ranged Rogue. That means using bows or pistols. He would use scrolls to augment his combat prowess. For example, he would mainly use Scroll of Defense, Scroll of Paralysis, Scroll of Protection, Scroll of Revival and Scroll of Valor. These are scrolls that are more defensive than they are offensive.

Additionally, scrolls such as Scroll of Paralysis work great alongside Sneak attack. 

I am just wondering if it was possible to make a high Intelligence rogue and gain any other benefit from doing so.

Duration of paralyze and such is also longer. But yeah, scrolls are limited.

Duration of his debuffs like Blind and Hobble are also longer. Also, if you get a ranged weapon that can stun, the stun will last longer. Some ranged weapons I think have stun on crit, and rogues have abilities and talents to increase their crit chance.

I would max Str, Dex and Int for that build. Even if you don't want to min/max while roleplaying, it would also make roleplaying sense to have all of those abilities at least somewhat high.

Edited by Nobear

To do that I usually make a Rogue/Wizard multiclass who is very knowledgeable and spends his time dungeon delving for artifacts.

Wouldn't a Chanter fit that image better? He has his own type of magic, is focused on uncovering ancient mysteries, has some roguish aspect(i.e.mechanics bonus...). Sounds like you could adjust him to your vision quite easily.

To do that I usually make a Rogue/Wizard multiclass who is very knowledgeable and spends his time dungeon delving for artifacts.

Wouldn't a Chanter fit that image better? He has his own type of magic, is focused on uncovering ancient mysteries, has some roguish aspect(i.e.mechanics bonus...). Sounds like you could adjust him to your vision quite easily.

That's actually a very good point. Ranged gun chanters are awesome. Their Sure-Handed Ila chant will give a flat constant boost of 20% speed to everyone's ranged attack AND reload speed, both of which affect guns, arbalests and crossbows. Then you get plenty of bonus from Int, like range and duration of chants, on top of the proc effects from certain classes of ranged weapons, or certain unique weapons. You build them the same: key attributes are Str, Dex and Int, with the rest up to personal preference.

Only thing is giving him both high lore and high mechanics means you can't get either one as high (or at least not as early on). You only need one mechanic in your party, so it could be him, with his lore being decent but secondary, or he could focus on lore if someone else is a mechanic. Lore opens up more dialogue choices if it's on your main.