Hello there,

I am playing PoE for a while now with barbarian but I wanted to try out rougue from the beginning again. The atributes I took for him (Death godlike) are:

Might: 18

Con: 6

Dex: 20

Perc: 10

Int: 18

Cha: 6

But I am wondering now, isnt perception better for rogue instead of int? As far as I can see, the only ability that can really benefit from intellect is the first level blind attack. I am wondering either to swotch the hight int for high perception for interrupts. What are you opinions?

But i gues that effect doest stack? If I keep attackong the target deep wounds would only get refreshed right? So the only benefit would be if i attack once and live it be to deep wounds to expire. Please correct me if im wrong.

Intellect also affects deep wounds duration. Whether you wanna max it is up to you, but Int is really good.

Well that depends, it get re-applied every hit, so as long as you keep focusing on your target the duration of deep wounds does not matter since the damage is constant.

If Per is going to affect accuracy now I would take it for a Rogue over intellect myself. But I dumped it on my rogue when it was for deflection.

6ej155.jpg

I know that INT affects the duration of the DoT effects (like Deep Wounds), but I don't know that it's really worth spending the attribute points to max it out.  OTOH, I would also say that I probably wouldn't suggest using INT as a dump stat because you probably shouldn't want to nerf your DoT damage either.

Also, since Perception is now enhancing accuracy, additional accuracy should in the long run increase the number of hits vs grazes, and crits vs hits the rogue gets, which should translate into more overall damage long term.  And when you're taking about rogues, this is probably of particular importance since they are considered to be an offensive class.

• Like 1

Last rouge I had I went with more PER than INT because I thought more deflection and interrupt would be useful than longer duration.  A lot of the damage over time effects don't seem to interact with INT as well as they could, the Ranger's wounding shot for example I think is worse with higher INT, not sure about all the rouge abilities. 

You can just use something with Retaliate to re-apply Deep Wounds, I've got a tanky rogue going solo currently and it's what I use (with max Per for more tankiness). Though Int does affect the duration of Crippling/Blinding Strike, honestly if you keep it at 10 then they will still last for 10 seconds on a Hit which is pretty long; plus as long as you're flanking an enemy (using figurine summons or party members if not solo) you get sneak attack damage so only 10 seconds is not the end of the world. Still, I wouldn't recommend dumping Int entirely.

Edited by Jojobobo

Last rouge I had I went with more PER than INT because I thought more deflection and interrupt would be useful than longer duration.  A lot of the damage over time effects don't seem to interact with INT as well as they could, the Ranger's wounding shot for example I think is worse with higher INT, not sure about all the rouge abilities. 

The rogue's Deep Wounds works differently than Wounding Shot. Namely, Deep Wounds does a fixed amount of Raw damage per tick, so it's not diluted either by enemy DR or by higher Intellect. However, considering that, as has been stated, reapplying it only extends its duration and doesn't cause it to stack, I'd say Int is pretty close to useless.

On the other hand, for your main character, you might actually consider dumping Con and Int and maxing Str, Dex and Resolve, with the rest in Per. This would have a couple of benefits: a) Resolve is checked often for conversations, which only your main character is used for, and b) your rogue would be very resistant to being interrupted. When he does get hit, this would help keep his DPS high.

If you have a priest, Withdraw is very good for keeping him alive if his endurance drops, though this will take him out of combat for a while. Personally, i don't mind the short debuff duration from dumped Int, because for me his initial hit is just to get the ball rolling. Then other party members blind and do other CC to a whole area.

I personally would not build him planning for a future version that we don't really know about yet. There may or may not be a change to Per, there may or may not be changes to other attributes, and it may or may not come with a free respec anyway. Even if the attributes are changed without a free respec, you can always "respec" using console commands. It has been pointed out that you can even keep Steam achievements active through use of a certain mod. Whether this would still feel cheap to you under the circumstances is totally a personal thing.

• Like 1

Cool, have fun. Oh yeah, another good thing about Resolve (and/or Int) is that you don't want your rogue being confused/charmed/dominated. All that pain on your own party!

My experience to date is that it's hard to nearly impossible to avoid being charmed/dominated/confused if the enemy chooses to target you with such a spell because of the graze/hit/crit mechanic.  Now this isn't to say that investing in the attributes that enhance Will saves isn't good, since it's better to be merely Grazed with a charm than Crit, since the Graze/Hit/Crit mechanic affects the duration of the spell effect on your character.  But often the best way to deal with getting charmed is to just have a cipher in the part who can hit charmed team mates with a mental binding.

My experience to date is that it's hard to nearly impossible to avoid being charmed/dominated/confused if the enemy chooses to target you with such a spell because of the graze/hit/crit mechanic.  Now this isn't to say that investing in the attributes that enhance Will saves isn't good, since it's better to be merely Grazed with a charm than Crit, since the Graze/Hit/Crit mechanic affects the duration of the spell effect on your character.  But often the best way to deal with getting charmed is to just have a cipher in the part who can hit charmed team mates with a mental binding.

Wow I didn't even think of that, of course. So there is no way to actually remove those mechanics huh? No mental unshackling spell, and one that suspends afflictions only affects allies who are NOT turned, is this correct?

FWIW come to think about it, friendly fire from this hasn't been a major problem, probably because the rogue is most likely going to hit your tanks, but I haven't played far enough to become properly Dominated either, only Confused and Charmed.

Nobear, there is a priest buffing spell that IIRC, increase your defenses against charm/dominate/confuse spells, just as there's another one that increases defenses against paralyze, stunning, etc.  As I recall, they're fairly effective, but not perfectly so.  Still worth using, I'd think, particularly in certain battles where charm spells are going to be flying around like crazy.

Nobear, there is a priest buffing spell that IIRC, increase your defenses against charm/dominate/confuse spells, just as there's another one that increases defenses against paralyze, stunning, etc.  As I recall, they're fairly effective, but not perfectly so.  Still worth using, I'd think, particularly in certain battles where charm spells are going to be flying around like crazy.

Oh yes, the priest has so many spells, it's easy to forget these situational ones. Thanks for reminding me that they're there :p.