So I love playing tanks dammit! And I can't seem to get rid of my hatchet it's the only weapon that gives deflection. I beat the game once on hard without dying and since I love playing a tank who can face tank the master below I'm making another one..playing on PoTD how necessary is that 5 deflection...

Have gun will travel.

A well built tank is going to have plenty of deflection from PER, RES, and a shield, so most of the time you should be fine without 5 extra from the hatchet. The real question is which weapons would be more useful for a tank character. Two options come to mind:

1) Shatterstar, a warhammer that increases your maximum enemies engaged by one (and +.5 to crit damage multiplier, not that it'll matter much for a tank), is a good option for non-fighters to help them better tank for the party. Warhammers are of the solider grouping, along with the Arquebus. This works out nicely to let your likely slow attacking tank get the most out of his alpha attack and still benefit with his melee weapon.

2) Cladhaliath, a spear that you can customize the properties on during the quest. If forged with the marking property (+10 accuracy granted to an ally attacking the same target) it is, in my opinion, the best weapon for a tank. The question is if another character in your party would prefer to use it. In particular Cladhaliath may be forged with the stunning property (attack can stun on crits) which pairs nicely with its high accuracy (+5 for being a spear and +4 when teaming up on an enemy if forged with the coordinating property). It would then be given to a DPS character.

Edited by HoopleDoople
  • Like 1

How does Shatterstar compare with Measured Restraint in your opinion, a rapier from one of the early Od Nua levels?

I personally prefer War Hammer to Rapiers due to higher base damage, a more useful weapon focus, and the dual damage type that includes crush (pierce is frequently resisted, crush infrequently, and both rarely). In terms of the specific weapons I think Measured Restraint is probably initially superior due to its incredible accuracy bonus. If you upgrade Shatterstar from fine to exceptional I believe it should compare much more favorably.

Honestly my preference of Shatterstar is more about the Arquebus than anything. Landing a big hit on the enemy of your choice before switching to melee is often a tank's primary damage contribution to the battle. Might as well take a War Hammer to piggyback off the accuracy bonus (and damage bonus in the case of the Fighter). I still prefer Cladhaliath to them both, however.

• Like 1