Wall of flame spell does no damage

goobar

Question

Description:

Wall of flame spell does no damage either to foes or allies. It just doesn't work and is completely useless. It used to work properly before. I cannot give you the specific patch number though because I had a long break. When I came back it just stopped working after updating the client.

Steps to Reproduce the Issue:

Launch the attached saved game, move down the corridor to encounter enemies and start fighting. Choose any mage (Isandrod or Aloth) and cast the Wall of flame. There is no any damage dealt from the Wall of flame source.

Important Files:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wywktws9l0nel5q/wall-of-flame-bug.zip?dl=0

9 answers to this question

Thanks for the response Aarik,

I checked the build number. it seems to be the newest avaiable - 1.0.6.0617. I even ran the "verify integrity of game cache" in Steam. I got the message there is 1 file that will be reaquired. Unfortunately, the problem still occurs. I even tried to remove all the saves and put the old ones from 1.0.5 to let the game convert saves again. The Wall of Flame still does no damage.

I believe what Aarik meant is that the issue stems from the saved game having been converted from a previous version. In a new game the issue doesn't occur.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

You have my sincerest apologies, but unfortunately there is no way to convert the old save. The only option is to start a new game. I know you would like to avoid that option, so my suggestion is to not use that spell. 

I will however make a suggestion to the programmers about being able to convert the old save. I can't make any guarantees.

Thank you for your feedback!

This spell is one of my favorites. I really enjoy using it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who is affected by this bug. Probably many other users suffer as well - they are just silent. I want to fully enjoy this game - one of the best I've ever played. I'm a developer as well and I do understand that such bugs can happen and can be hard to debug. But I cannot accept this workaround. Telling users to resign from some part of the game only because there are problems converting saves after update is not very professional. I'm sure your developers can handle this situation. I preffer to wait for the fix. In case this bug is unique (I doubt it - it probably affects many users) I can try to help you debug it or apply a horfix using your instructions.