Perception now giving accuracy instead of deflection?

No, each point of Perception still grants 1 Deflection, 2 Reflex, and 3% higher chance to interrupt, which is not the same as accuracy. It doesn't affect your chance to hit or quality of hit, just the chance it will interrupt your enemy's current action, attack or spell.

So no one else's stats sheets now list accuracy under the perception bonuses? My game does for existing and new game characters. 1.6

I understand that it didn't before, but now in my games, it's showing perception to increase accuracy.

Edited by Snerf

I double checked. On GoG version 1.0.6 (at least the Mac version), Perception's description has not changed. To test it, I ate some food that grants perception, and my character's accuracy did not change. The patch notes did not mention this, so my guess is it was something the developers were playing with but it wasn't meant to go live. Of course, this is speculation, I can't speak for them.

On the plus side for me, I don't have to start over yet again, so I can keep going on my PoTD play through! lol

Thanks for the headsup. This is going to be a pretty big change if implemented.

As of today, it doesn't seem to be actually implemented properly though. The description on the character sheet for bonuses provided by Perception is indeed changed to Accuracy instead of Deflection.

However on checking the derived attributes for Accuracy and Deflection (on the left hand side of the character sheet) these are still much the same as they were previously, with Perception contributing to Deflection and not Accuracy. Checked with an actual battle in-game and the combat rolls also indicate Perception does not contribute to Accuracy. Started a fresh new game and again rechecked in a battle. Same result, Perception still only gives a Deflection bonus and no increase in Accuracy.

While it would be nice to have some attribute linked to Accuracy, I'm not too sure if its a good idea to make such a sweeping change now, when players have built their party members around Perception being a "tank" stat rather than dps. Frankly I don't mind not having this particular tweak.

P/S - Bit of a rant, but with all the bugs in the earlier versions of PoE (saved file auto deletion, Sanitarium aggro, enchants not working, etc), and a thread in general discussion called: "Should POE's Final release have been called "Early Access?", you'd think the devs might be a little more cautious in pushing out half implemented tweaks/fixes for fear of confusing players further...

Edited by Drath

Seems to be an error with the hit fix.  And PER adds to deflection and reflex defenses hardly a useless state especially for tanks.

It is useful only for tanks right now, and reflex is the least important defense thanks to the shield talent adding the shield bonus to that. Ranged users dump perception with the current system, that is counter intuitive.

Someone mentioned that perception was once used to add to accuracy early in the beta period? Not sure if that is true, but if it is then this change could be a simple regression that slipped by.

• Like 1

Why would there be a regression to the character system of early beta (2014 state) in a hotfix to the sound system three months after the game went gold?

More likely they inadvertantly slipped part of a 1.07 change into the patch files.

Edited by Bubbles

Seems to be an error with the hit fix.  And PER adds to deflection and reflex defenses hardly a useless state especially for tanks.

It is useful only for tanks right now, and reflex is the least important defense thanks to the shield talent adding the shield bonus to that. Ranged users dump perception with the current system, that is counter intuitive.

Someone mentioned that perception was once used to add to accuracy early in the beta period? Not sure if that is true, but if it is then this change could be a simple regression that slipped by.

Once again its useful for tanks he said it was useless.  Not a great state for most builds sure but for tanks it adds deflection and yes sword and shield style talent adds a bonus but the more per you have the more you will have on top of the shield talent.  For most mobs that's over kill but for big hitters which is when a tank matters it is not.  Although you could argue that you would have to dump 2 stats to really be that unhittable so it might not be very fun.  I digress not what the threads about.

Have gun will travel.

However on checking the derived attributes for Accuracy and Deflection (on the left hand side of the character sheet) these are still much the same as they were previously, with Perception contributing to Deflection and not Accuracy. Checked with an actual battle in-game and the combat rolls also indicate Perception does not contribute to Accuracy. Started a fresh new game and again rechecked in a battle. Same result, Perception still only gives a Deflection bonus and no increase in Accuracy.

yes. after a quick test (because i really did not want to start over!), it is only the description of the attribute that has changed. Perception now says and indicates that it modifies Accuracy but it still does not on your stats page (the left side). Perception is still the same stat as before (modifies Deflection) as far as the game is concerned. the description is just wrong.

interestingly enough, some other folks are reporting other stealth changes on the topic here. looks like 1.07 planned (and incomplete) changes somehow made their way into the hotfix.

• Like 1

Perception is ok for some ranged users that want to interrupt, using faster ranged weapons like bows and implements instead of guns, I like it better than resolve for characters that aren't getting attacked much.  Obviously accuracy instead of deflection would be even better for that type character though and it would help differentiate it from resolve better.

I for one really welcome this change - not only does it make a useless stat on par with the godtier trifectas (might, int, and to a certain degree, dex), but also allows for more customization. I´ve really been missing a way to buff the accuracy of my backline.

I for one really welcome this change - not only does it make a useless stat on par with the godtier trifectas (might, int, and to a certain degree, dex), but also allows for more customization. I´ve really been missing a way to buff the accuracy of my backline.

Making accuracy tied to a stat would be a very poor choice in my opinion. Literally every build short of a pure tank would demand maximum perception for increased accuracy (and even on PoTD a pure tank is pretty much overkill). I would definitely be in favor of trying to better equalize the stats but simply creating a new god-tier for attributes doesn't really accomplish this. I would suggest looking into enhancing interrupt to make it a more relevant stat.

I would also like to note that if there's any one stat that clearly lags behind it is constitution. After you get a few levels worth of health/endurance there just isn't much reason to put points into constitution except perhaps for Monks. 

I would also like to note that if there's any one stat that clearly lags behind it is constitution. After you get a few levels worth of health/endurance there just isn't much reason to put points into constitution except perhaps for Monks. 

I'm curious about why this is taken so universally true as gospel in this game. In other games, there is debate over whether to prioritize endurance (i.e. health, typically) or defensive stats. I have not gotten very far in the game, but are there no enemies that can one-shot a tank with minimized Constitution on PoTD?

If heals are put aside, 3% endurance would translate to 3% longer survival at values close to normal. Yes the value of this would decrease slightly the more there is, but not tremendously, as we are just talking numbers up to around 30% above normal. Conversely, minimized Con would mean your tank survives 21% less time than normal, or 79% of normal. Heals of course can help compensate, but they are also harder to get off the lower your tank's health pool, all things equal.

Of course, all things aren't equal, and I don't know how I'd begin to calculate the impact of Perception or Resolve on average survival time. It would depend on which defense the attack was targeting, obviously. Then again, Constitution also improves Fortitude. I don't know how common damaging Fortitude attacks are throughout the whole game, but Prone and the other disabling attacks are certainly annoying.

Hmm... this discussion probably belongs elsewhere. Does anyone have a link handy?

As for the original topic of this thread, I would only welcome such a fundamental change if it came with a free respec for all your characters, meaning that you had the option to reset each of the characters in your party or stronghold one time to level 1, keeping their XP. Even then, I would feel ambivalent about the change.

Casters already need to max three stats (Str, Dex and Int), leaving only a little leeway for things like good dialogue choices. This change would give them a fourth stat they "need to" max, which is impossible, so something would have to give just to have an optimal character for combat alone.

On the other hand, it would give physical DDs another very valuable stat, which you could argue would bring them up to par with three stats they "need to" max.

For tanks, it would be a real head-scratcher. Imagine a paladin tank who already has to make choices like minimizing Con in order to maximize Per, Int and Res. You may not need accuracy as much as DDs do, but you don't want it to be so bad that your Knock Down or Flames of Devotion never connect.

The change would be a tradeoff for sure. As I say, the only way I'd welcome it is if it came with a free respec, and I'm not sure all that is necessary. Just my 2 cents.