1.06 Hotfix Live on Steam

While I am all for a reintroduction of a way to actively improve Accuracy, I am against using perception as its only generator.

Splitting it between 3 Attributes (for cc, ranged and magic) should not be harder at all, and if the bonus is small enough /say +1acc per 2 points above 10 or so) the overall impact on builds should not be too huge (but positive overall due to making choices count more).

A respecc in any case is a good idea, after all we dont want everybody to cry over "crapped Characters" do we?

My Deflectionmaxxed Paladin with perception 19 for example would be  a wee bit ... miffed. ^^

So don't install the patch until completing this run-through?

(If on Steam - opt out of auto-patching for the duration).

The alternative is using the console commands to reset your attributes yourself - respec's there if you want it.  (And in this case wouldn't really be 'cheating' as it was outside the game that the attributes got changed in the first place).

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Is it only me, or is the option to only manually update gone from Steam?

I can only set the game to auto-update; update when launching the game; and auto-update with priority.

If such a major change is introduced, I'd like to wait a bit and see how it plays out. And probably complete my current run-through. Or at least get a respec option.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

The GOG update is live.

Thanks, I wouldn't have known otherwise, because it hasn't been announced yet.

Gog Galaxy updates the game automatically.

You say that like it's a good thing :shrugz:

One of many reasons I'm happy to stick with good old gog (see what I did there?).

With possibly undesirous game changes mid-game (like character attribute buffs/nerfs etc), I'd prefer to try a new patch with a new game, unless I'm very early game.  At least I can look at the patch notes and see if it fixes something I need fixing before installing.

So yay for choice.

Can Galaxy's auto-update be toggled to 'off' ? Or is it all one big Galaxy bundle?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Can Galaxy's auto-update be toggled to 'off' ? Or is it all one big Galaxy bundle?

Sure, it can be disabled. And it is not implemented yet but choosing what version you want will also be an option for those that disable auto update. So even if you update to the latest version you will be able to roll back with a few clicks once that is implemented. We are talking about GoG after all...  ;)

• Like 2

If they finally change the Attribute Bonuses in 1.07 (which would be a shocking turn, and just plain odd; you'd think such a change would've been an ASAP issue) I hope they go back and un-screw the changes they made to the CNPC:s, since they'd hopefully be able to stand on their own, with their original, thematically-based Attributes, rather than the ones they were given due to the screwy nature of the lopsided attribute bonuses (also known as teh suck, for most CNPC:s at the time).

I'm very skeptical about the idea of changing PER to affect accuracy, if that is in fact an intended change for 1.07. Accuracy is so overwhelmingly important that high/max PER would be the standard for nearly every build. Only pure tanks could justify sacrificing accuracy, and even they would likely still prefer some. I think enhancing interrupt to make it viable would be a far better plan.

If we do go about making any significant alterations to attributes I almost think we need to get really creative and rework all the stats. It would be nice if each stat had a clear and unique use for both offense and defense. Currently the stats can be roughly categorized as DPS stats (MIG, DEX, INT), tank stats (PER and RES), and dump stats (CON). Attribute distribution is only somewhat interesting for melee DPS characters, as they need to both maximize damage and obtain a moderate amount of durability.

I agree. I always thought the reason there is no stat for accuracy was because it was the one thing that pretty much everyone needed and as much of it as possible.

Now, if they split accuracy, with a separate scores for melee, missile and magic, and assigned them to separate stats, it might make for more interesting choices.

Suggestion: Perception for ranged accuracy, Int for magic (including spell like abilities and wand/rod/sceptre) accuracy, Dex for melee accuracy. Make deflection depend on Con and Resolve, move spell durations to Resolve.

By the argument, changing +Acc based on Attribute would only shift the problem around and create supposed "no-brainer" choices based on build; Dex for Melee, Per for Ranged, Int for Spellcasters, and in no way incentivize "hedging" or alternative builds, which is completely counter-intuitive to the goals of the system as presented, nevermind the fact that it'd convolute the Attribute bonuses needlessly.

That being said, I don't agree at all that any amount of +Accuracy results in a "no-brainer" choice, depending on the bonuses of other Attributes (as I have written on extensively). Even if we push it to the extremes, assuming Perception-based Accuracy of +1 (fractional bonuses would actually have been preferable, but you'd have to go through the entire game and rebalance things around that) we're only talking about +/- 13 - and that's assuming that you play a very specific character, a White That Wends Orlan, and actually decide to specialize to the point of detrimental, and pass on things you might actually need more.

Especially relevant when talking about the builds that would benefit the most from this change, namely spellcasters (that arguably does not need as high Accuracy, but have troubles getting +Accuracy, making it more valuable overall) - this assuming that the "One attribute to rule them all" of Intellect is finally split in twain (separation of +AoE and +Duration; preferable the former Resolve and the latter remaining on Intellect, for thematic reasons - mechanically it ultimately does not matter who gets what overly much).

Sure, it can be disabled. And it is not implemented yet but choosing what version you want will also be an option for those that disable auto update. So even if you update to the latest version you will be able to roll back with a few clicks once that is implemented. We are talking about GoG after all... wink.png

I've heard some mumble that GOG is going to make basically every version of whatever they have freely available to the consumer.

• Want to run Launch PoE? You can do that.
  • Want to just roll back to the patch before last, because there's an issue that needs to be hotfixed in the next couple of days, but you want to play now? You can do that.
  • Want to just always stay fully updated? Boom, headshot.
I'm not sure how it'll actually turn out, and as I said, it's just mumble, but I'll be damned if it doesn't sound interesting. I just wish that GOG could snag some of the big stuff from Steam, like Firaxis stuff and Gearbox Software. It annoys the hell out of me that I have to put up with Steam for some favourite titles for virtually no reason except blind dogmatism and DRM dollarsigns in the eyes of marketing teams.

Not that Galaxy itself appeals to me, as such - I like the current GOG format. Download installers, have full control over everything, done.

Taking away some of their BS arguments like "But muh achievements!" and "But much matchmaking!" and "Muh community overlay!" makes me feel fine.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

As usual, Luckmann and I agree on a lot ;)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

You will notice an updated Windows and OSX build. This has two changes:

• Win Build - A minor change to a DLL so it would have proper signing. This shouldn't affect anything on your end. Just a housekeeping measure.
  • OSX Build - A change was made to fix crashes that some people were getting on Macs with certain Retina displays. Please let us know if you are still seeing these OSX crashes on startup.

Thanks for your patience.

I do not see it on GoG. It will have to wait a few days as usual I take it?

BTW Why is that, and are the Steam and GoG versions based on the same build, or are the GoG ones a newer build by the time they come out?

Thanks.

I do not see it on GoG. It will have to wait a few days as usual I take it?

BTW Why is that, and are the Steam and GoG versions based on the same build, or are the GoG ones a newer build by the time they come out?

Thanks.

Hi, Nobear. The reason that GoG (and Origin) take longer is because they have to go through their own processing. We hand them the files and they perform the necessary testing and package creation on their end.

With Steam we have full access to the build. What that means is that we are able to place a build on Steam, do whatever testing we need, and put the build live without having to interact with anyone at Steam. They have a full backend to support it.

We could hold the Steam patches until we get the okay from other vendors, but it makes the most sense to release it on Steam as soon as it is ready.

I figured it was something like that. Now, for the purposes of reporting bugs, can I take for granted that the various distributions will be from the same build, meaning that a bug in one should be present on another, the only possible difference being across platform? I ask because, like with the Outworn Buckler issue I've discussed elsewhere, some people don't have my issue with how it's suppressing stats from other items, and I'm wondering if this is due to different distributions or just different platforms.

I agree that players shouldn't have to wait artificially if the patch is ready for them sooner, I am mainly concerned with consistency between distributions when I report bugs or trade advice between players.

I figured it was something like that. Now, for the purposes of reporting bugs, can I take for granted that the various distributions will be from the same build, meaning that a bug in one should be present on another, the only possible difference being across platform? I ask because, like with the Outworn Buckler issue I've discussed elsewhere, some people don't have my issue with how it's suppressing stats from other items, and I'm wondering if this is due to different distributions or just different platforms.

I agree that players shouldn't have to wait artificially if the patch is ready for them sooner, I am mainly concerned with consistency between distributions when I report bugs or trade advice between players.

Everyone should be on the same build (if they have fully updated). All platforms have the same build.

There could be lots of reasons why some people have bugs that others are not seeing, but I am not sure about the Outworn Buckler specifically.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Where can I send the crash reports of the game? Since this new patch became live I am experiencing a number of really annoying new bugs and many old bugs are still existing. It would be nice if somebody would pay attention to them. E.g. occasional crashes when I start the game, the stronghold missions never finish, when I quit a false dialogue box appears, etc. the list goes on.

Where can I send the crash reports of the game? Since this new patch became live I am experiencing a number of really annoying new bugs and many old bugs are still existing. It would be nice if somebody would pay attention to them. E.g. occasional crashes when I start the game, the stronghold missions never finish, when I quit a false dialogue box appears, etc. the list goes on.

Technical Support forum.

• Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg