1.06 Hotfix Live on Steam

Party AI sounds great in theory, but I'm afraid that it's gonna introduce a ton of new bugs I'd rather not deal with.

I don't see new bugs as a major issue; the game barely had any bugs to begin with and has become incredibly polished by the latest patches. This is exactly the right time to add new features.

I found that my bug was not a bug.  I was playing the game as Administrator and by changing that to normal play I had no problems.  Steam has to update the local files, the ones installed on your computer, and can't do that if you are playing as Administrator.  All seems good for me so far.  No problems.

I have but one enemy: myself  - Drow saying

nakia_banner.jpg

I found that my bug was not a bug.  I was playing the game as Administrator and by changing that to normal play I had no problems.  Steam has to update the local files, the ones installed on your computer, and can't do that if you are playing as Administrator.  All seems good for me so far.  No problems.

It's only it doesn't do that in my case. I'm still on 1.06.0591. Although I've got automatic updates enabled. I don't see a method to force the client to do a manual update anyway.

I'm really looking for a solution there.

It's only it doesn't do that in my case. I'm still on 1.06.0591. Although I've got automatic updates enabled. I don't see a method to force the client to do a manual update anyway.

Try switching out of the beta branch in Steam (if you are currently enrolled in it). That's how I got it to download.

• Like 1

Try switching out of the beta branch in Steam (if you are currently enrolled in it). That's how I got it to download.

Yeah, now it at least says, update scheduled. Although it still doesn't do anything besides that.

Edit: I also had to set it to high priority so that the client could actually be arsed to do the update.

Second edit: Opting into the beta program after downloading makes that piece of sh.. unroll the update. Now I've got update scheduled again, without the client doing anything. Where are the days when you could actively decide when to download a patch?

Edited by abaris

Yeah, now it at least says, update scheduled. Although it still doesn't do anything besides that.

If you select the update in the scheduled download queue in Steam there should be a "download now" option you can use to force the update.

We reverted those string changes. As some of you saw, we are going to make some changes for 1.07, but those strings aren't final yet. More info about 1.07 will come after E3 next week.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

I now get this since the update:

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/36373486560048943/1CDAC263846642F922F66826A5C13230A70EE659/

If I keep pressing random buttons it loads the characters on the screen but with a white background no world around them.

You're still on version 0591, which means your update failed for some reason. Verify your cache.

I did the verification...I should have thought of that on my own.  It said 8488 files where messed up so its started a 3.9 GB download.  

I was on build 658255 and that stayed the same after the verification.

Everything is working now.  I had not noticed but the sound was also not working.  Thanks for the help!

We reverted those string changes. As some of you saw, we are going to make some changes for 1.07, but those strings aren't final yet. More info about 1.07 will come after E3 next week.

Thanks everyone.

I hope we'll get to respec if Perception affects Accuracy after 1.07.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone.

I hope we'll get to respec if Perception affects Accuracy after 1.07.

I second what Bubbles said. Please, if you're going to implement this much of a build-changer, also implement a one-time option for each character in your party AND stronghold besides the story companions, to reassign their stats.

Personally, I'd still feel ambivalent about the leaked change as it appeared. It'd be a tradeoff overall, and I'm not sure if it'd be worth the effort to implement along with a one-time free respec.

I'm very skeptical about the idea of changing PER to affect accuracy, if that is in fact an intended change for 1.07. Accuracy is so overwhelmingly important that high/max PER would be the standard for nearly every build. Only pure tanks could justify sacrificing accuracy, and even they would likely still prefer some. I think enhancing interrupt to make it viable would be a far better plan.

If we do go about making any significant alterations to attributes I almost think we need to get really creative and rework all the stats. It would be nice if each stat had a clear and unique use for both offense and defense. Currently the stats can be roughly categorized as DPS stats (MIG, DEX, INT), tank stats (PER and RES), and dump stats (CON). Attribute distribution is only somewhat interesting for melee DPS characters, as they need to both maximize damage and obtain a moderate amount of durability.

• Like 1

Currently the stats can be roughly categorized as DPS stats (MIG, DEX, INT), tank stats (PER and RES), and dump stats (CON). Attribute distribution is only somewhat interesting for melee DPS characters, as they need to both maximize damage and obtain a moderate amount of durability.

They can solve that fairly easily by putting shades, AoE casters and ranged attackers into all the encounters.

Currently the stats can be roughly categorized as DPS stats (MIG, DEX, INT), tank stats (PER and RES), and dump stats (CON). Attribute distribution is only somewhat interesting for melee DPS characters, as they need to both maximize damage and obtain a moderate amount of durability.

They can solve that fairly easily by putting shades, AoE casters and ranged attackers into all the encounters.

Yeah that's brilliant lol... I like to relax a bit with some standard tank-and-spank after a lvl 3 visit to the depths of the Temple of Eothas on PoTD :D.

• Like 1

You also want to make sure that you have "download updates in the background while playing a game" on and activated--I had mine turned off, it turns out. Don't know when I did that... ;)  As soon as I fixed that and fired up the game (immediately after verifying game files) the hotfix installed.

I had been having lots of sound problems in 591--the hotfix seems to have restored everything and maybe even made the ambient sound a bit better.

I am playing on WIn10 x64, and it's weird because when I first began playing PoE I didn't have to run as admin, IIRC--now, for some reason, I have to run as admin to see my saves in-game.  Probably something to do with Win10 security tightening up as I installed 6 security and rollup patches for  build 10130 today--that has to be it, I would think, relative to my saves being on C:\ because the game isn't even on C:\, let alone under c:\program files.

I love this game...!

Edit: Wanted to shout out a big "Thank You!" to Obsidian for arranging that the Steam release have no online Steam DRM component--the game runs whether Steam is running or not.  Great call...!  It is noted and much appreciated!  However, of course, you do have to run Steam to get updated...but that's it!  

Edited by waltc

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

I'm very skeptical about the idea of changing PER to affect accuracy, if that is in fact an intended change for 1.07. Accuracy is so overwhelmingly important that high/max PER would be the standard for nearly every build. Only pure tanks could justify sacrificing accuracy, and even they would likely still prefer some. I think enhancing interrupt to make it viable would be a far better plan.

If we do go about making any significant alterations to attributes I almost think we need to get really creative and rework all the stats. It would be nice if each stat had a clear and unique use for both offense and defense. Currently the stats can be roughly categorized as DPS stats (MIG, DEX, INT), tank stats (PER and RES), and dump stats (CON). Attribute distribution is only somewhat interesting for melee DPS characters, as they need to both maximize damage and obtain a moderate amount of durability.

I agree. I always thought the reason there is no stat for accuracy was because it was the one thing that pretty much everyone needed and as much of it as possible.

Now, if they split accuracy, with a separate scores for melee, missile and magic, and assigned them to separate stats, it might make for more interesting choices.

Suggestion: Perception for ranged accuracy, Int for magic (including spell like abilities and wand/rod/sceptre) accuracy, Dex for melee accuracy. Make deflection depend on Con and Resolve, move spell durations to Resolve.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

I second what Bubbles said. Please, if you're going to implement this much of a build-changer, also implement a one-time option for each character in your party AND stronghold besides the story companions, to reassign their stats.

If the devs don't implement a one-time respec for whatever reason (most likely, lack of programming time), you can respec your characters using the "AttributeScore charname attribute value" console command.

If you're concerned about achievements and don't want to disable them for the sake of a one-time respec, you can install the IE Mod. Simply installing it (without ticking on any of its menu options) enables you to use console commands without the "IRoll20s" thing that disables achievements.

I, for one, welcome the change to Perception for a variety of reasons (no time to elaborate right now but I might do so at a later time.) If Con and Res are also rebalanced (Con for being kind of irrelevant and Res to make up for its being the only deflection stat remaining), things might get seriously interesting at character creation (and min/maxed builds won't necessarily be the best anymore.)

BAdler, are there any plans to rebalance Druids' spiritshift in order for it to be mechanically viable throughout the whole game?

In my current playthrough, when Hiravias spiritshifts to the Autumn Stelgaer he's accuracy and damage are below what he has in his orlan form and he's just level 5. For a mighty soul-devouring beast, the Autumn Stelgaer ain't that terrifying (which is a shame, 'cause it looks pretty rad) :p

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

BAdler, are there any plans to rebalance Druids' spiritshift in order for it to be mechanically viable throughout the whole game?

In my current playthrough, when Hiravias spiritshifts to the Autumn Stelgaer he's accuracy and damage are below what he has in his orlan form and he's just level 5. For a mighty soul-devouring beast, the Autumn Stelgaer ain't that terrifying (which is a shame, 'cause it looks pretty rad) :p

I am not sure about a spiritform rebalance. I will have to ask Josh next week.

• Like 2

now it's gog time :)

GOG and Origin will get the hotfix early next week. I held off on sending the hotfix to them until I was sure that it fixed everyone's problems with the audio. I would expect that their hotfixes will be live on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

revert perception back to its early beta incarnation would be a terrible error... though kinda amusing.  before accuracy were removed from perception, the beta backers, near universal, observed that perception were disproportionate important in the attribute scheme.  'course when perception got nerfed, there were a curious howl o' anguish that the developers had gone ahead and exorcised accuracy from the attributes.  

people is weird.

am not against some kinda alteration to perception.  hell, we wouldn't even mind a reintroduction o' accuracy to perception, but it would needs be reduced and am not sure how to do that.  1 point o' accuracy for every two levels... or even three?  threshold values for attributes goes against the design philosophy o' poe, so am not seeing an easy way to reintroduce accuracy at a reduced rate.

oh well. if accuracy is reintroduced in the next patch, it will be funny to see pervasive hypocrisy regarding respec with the introduction o' 1.07.  might be worth it.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If accuracy bonuses are reintroduced to stats, I think there should be 4 different accuracy bonuses (separately vs def/ref/will/fort, or maybe merge def&ref since they are very similar and both mostly protect vs direct damage), tied to different stats. Having stats giving defense points to only 1 save but having 1 stat increasing accuracy for all types of attacks seems unbalanced. This is too much of a change for any kind of patch tbh, so if anything like this is ever done, it's better to be reserved for a sequel or at least expansion. It would also require more varied attacks, both for players and for monsters, to be balanced.

For now, I would prefer things as is. If PER does indeed give accuracy in 1.07, meta will move into min/maxing even more (if that's even possible).

I'm also curious if any spiritshift changes are planned, might give the incentive to replay the game if they are implemented nicely. 

Edited by MadDemiurg

Honestly, I have more of a problem with skillsets not being very important. When playing I made my way from easy to hard difficulty and never once needed the survival skill. It does nothing else than food last longer. And that seems to be a one difficulty wonder.

For now, I would prefer things as is. If PER does indeed give accuracy in 1.07, meta will move into min/maxing even more (if that's even possible).

There would be no reason not to max PER over resolve then. Hell the wood elf is the best caster/ranger when not going solo because of it's +5 accuracy modifier.

I mean who the heck would take human with it's crappy few second buff that lasts only if you go under 50 endurance every battle for a few seconds? Or the other crappy other racials like nature godlike that gives a boost under 50 again. These don't stack up to wood elf that gets +5 Accuracy at all times. Accuracy is everything in this game at harder difficulties.

I'd also like to add that all 3 human racials are the same crappy one no matter what the location wheras the most of the rest are all different depending on the location which is pretty lame.

I wish that party AI editor is on the way!  banana.gif   But it might be just some testing stuff from devs original.gif

I hope so too. Well I just really want certain members to cast certain buffs in order as soon as the battle starts. Like Eldritch aim on my wizards, priest casts the DR reduction spell followed by the critical hit increase buff etc etc. Maybe even a setting that lets us decide what to cast in order based on the number of enemies we are facing.

Edited by Dinky Dino

While I am all for a reintroduction of a way to actively improve Accuracy, I am against using perception as its only generator.

Splitting it between 3 Attributes (for cc, ranged and magic) should not be harder at all, and if the bonus is small enough /say +1acc per 2 points above 10 or so) the overall impact on builds should not be too huge (but positive overall due to making choices count more).

A respecc in any case is a good idea, after all we dont want everybody to cry over "crapped Characters" do we?

My Deflectionmaxxed Paladin with perception 19 for example would be  a wee bit ... miffed. ^^