Hi,

i'm unsure which PC i should play. My NPC party setup is, like i would say "cut in stone", but i dont know which PC would complete my Setup.

I would go with:

Eder - Frontline Tank

Pallegina - 2hand Off tank + Supporter

Aloth - CC and likely DD

Sagani - DD

Grieving Mother - DD

my problem now is which class + spec should i play to fit in this setup. I'm really bad at this part of the game when u plan your charackter and decide what you play, so i would like to hear your advice. Oh and i prefer any role, especially in this type of games.

Thanks for your time and i await your reply^^

Tobias

P.S. Praise the Sun!

Since you don't plan to use Durance, why not try a priest? A PC priest has the advantage over Grumpnacious D, since you can beef up your Radiance to be a really nice 1 per encounter heal with your reputation bonuses, and he can't. (You will also not give yourself a silly 9 Dex, most likely.) My first playthrough was with a Priestess of Eothas and I found that she had a really nice amount of dialogue reactivity as well as being a key figure in battle.

A priest, like all casters, is really weak at the start of the game but becomes a spell-spamming powerhouse near the end. If you don't want to wait that long for your character to come into their own, you could try one of the classes not represented by the in-game companions: Rogue, Monk, or Barbarian. They can all be superb DDs and the Monk and Barb can also off-tank if needed. If you go this route, though, you are going to be somewhat weak on healing and buffs in your party and will have to depend on consumables a lot. You would also have to depend on Pallegina to bail you out of any strong debuffs, which will be extremely risky in a tough fight. But if you're up for a different experience, go for it.

Yeah I'd say your first idea is better for his party setup, because he already has two tanks plus a pet. More melee (unless they are DDs with reach) would just get congested in narrow passages and be useless. If you can stand to give up Eder or Pallegina for your main being a tank, that'd have the advantage that high resolve and perception on your main open a lot of dialogue choices, and a paladin also benefits from being your main in a similar way that a priest would: by gaining power in one ability through dialogue choices. Then you could take Kana and have him speed up your ranged, especially if they are gunners.

But if you're set on your companion choices, yeah priest is probably best for your main.

Your party setup looks similar to the one I had in midgame, so I'm quite tempted to suggest going with a Rogue as the main character. Its really up to you though in terms of what role you prefer. I would say you have enough tanks in that setup. Eder is a solid tank and so is Pallegina.

Priest can be a good idea as you don't have one in the party, though I'd like to think that Paladins provide enough support (especially after the boost they got in 1.06) that you don't necessarily need one. You'll also need someone to do Mechanics too and while this is probably best served by having a companion specialize in it (if you're in the camp that would prefer your main having high Lore for convos), a main Rogue character can tackle this just fine as well while still keeping decent ranks in Lore and Athletics. You already have a good number of characters who can provide crowd control (I actually feel Grieving Mother is at least as much CC as she is DD, as she starts with Int 17 but only Might 11 and Mental Binding is one of the best CC powers) so IMHO a Rogue main is going synergize well with this group by dishing out the required high damage when mobs are disabled.

I'm not too sure on making Pallegina 2-handed dps though. Might 12 and Dex 11 means she won't be hitting very hard or very often. If you strap her in plate for offtanking, that reduces her attack speed even further. Yes she does good damage with Flames of Devotion but that's basically just twice per encounter. I usually just strap on an Arbalest/Arquebus on her and let her open battles with that, get some attention and then switch to hatchet and large shield for tanking.

Eder on the other hand, once you get past all the necessary Deflection abilities/talents for tanking, usually has some leftover talents if you want to make him more offensive. If you don't change his initial setup, he starts with Weapon Focus: Ruffian and you can bump that up further with Weapon Specialization, Weapon Mastery, Confident Aim, Disciplined Barrage, etc. While he doesn't have much Dex either (like Pallegina), at least he starts with Might 16.

Edited by Drath

• 3 weeks later...

I picked this Party because i like the NPC's, i dont think i will change that. What about the Chanter as a PC charackter, i heard he is also a strong buffer but dont know if he would fit in well.

With a chanter, your party would look almost like my PoTD party, except you have a ranger where I have a priest. IDK... what difficulty are you playing on? Below PoTD you could probably make do without heals, but I wouldn't do that on PoTD personally.

If you don't mind the lack of heals though and you want to keep those NPCs with a chanter, I'd make him ranged. You have good ranged in your party, and chanters have a chant that increases ranged attack speed and reload speed by 20%: a very good DPS boost for most of your party.

Also, especially on PoTD there will be situations where you'll really stand to benefit from using some CC on multiple characters. Each one has its niche. From level 4 on, your cipher will start with enough Focus to open with Mental Binding, a strong spell that paralyzes the target and makes surrounding ones stuck. Aloth can get Slicken which will knock people prone in a large area, but you have to be careful of targeting because it does have friendly fire. A priest can drop Repulsing Seal, which will knock only enemies prone in a small area but for a really long duration. Paralyzed opponents will have drastically lowered defenses and so will be easy targets to focus fire down. What I'm saying is, don't get too stuck in each character only staying in his role. Playing strategically, you will want to DD or CC with various characters depending on the fight.

Edited by Nobear

Hi,

i'm unsure which PC i should play. My NPC party setup is, like i would say "cut in stone", but i dont know which PC would complete my Setup.

I would go with:

Eder - Frontline Tank
Pallegina - 2hand Off tank + Supporter
Aloth - CC and likely DD
Sagani - DD
Grieving Mother - DD

my problem now is which class + spec should i play to fit in this setup. I'm really bad at this part of the game when u plan your charackter and decide what you play, so i would like to hear your advice. Oh and i prefer any role, especially in this type of games.

Thanks for your time and i await your reply^^

Tobias

P.S. Praise the Sun!

Heya,

Well, since you're doing a full party, and you have two tanks already, and you have upwards of 3 damage dealers, you could be the support character really. So, Druid, Priest, Wizard, with a ranged weapon perhaps and focus on support stuff.

Example, as a Wizard, you could focus on casting conditions (mass blindness, mass prone, confuse, etc) while attacking from range. As a Druid you can heal, buff, and throw attack spells and sort of do it all, and spirit shift to be a werewolf or something if your tanks get bypassed, very general character. As a Priest you get some great buffs, some really nice debuffs, some heals, and some powerful "saves" and simply provide extra damage with a reach weapon or ranged weapon.

Very best,

Heya,

Well, since you're doing a full party, and you have two tanks already, and you have upwards of 3 damage dealers, you could be the support character really. So, Druid, Priest, Wizard, with a ranged weapon perhaps and focus on support stuff.

Example, as a Wizard, you could focus on casting conditions (mass blindness, mass prone, confuse, etc) while attacking from range. As a Druid you can heal, buff, and throw attack spells and sort of do it all, and spirit shift to be a werewolf or something if your tanks get bypassed, very general character. As a Priest you get some great buffs, some really nice debuffs, some heals, and some powerful "saves" and simply provide extra damage with a reach weapon or ranged weapon.

Very best,

He already has Aloth, and lacks heals, but yeah I think either priest or druid would be good.