Saving game takes longer and longer

I assume, since I save often and only use full saves ( Auto Save is on but no quick saves ever used) that I have a huge and growing folder of saves.

From the moment I open "Options" w/ Esc key and click "Save" -  until the moment the screen appears where saves are shown and the top slot is available -  takes longer and longer every day.

Is there a folder on my drive where I can delete most of my earlier saves to shorten this duration?

S

I assume, since I save often and only use full saves ( Auto Save is on but no quick saves ever used) that I have a huge and growing folder of saves.

From the moment I open "Options" w/ Esc key and click "Save" -  until the moment the screen appears where saves are shown and the top slot is available -  takes longer and longer every day.

Is there a folder on my drive where I can delete most of my earlier saves to shorten this duration?

S

You can just do it from the menu, can't you?

*edit* To clarify: start up the game, choose Load, and you get the option of either loading or deleting each of the saves that appear in the list. Obviously all you need to do is delete the ones you don't want.

Edited by Ink Blot

S

There was a bug that made saves take a long time that has been fixed in one of the patches.

I think it was the first or second patch that fixed it so, if you are anywhere near up to date with the patches, this isn't the problem you are having.

If you aren't up to date, then you can download and install the patches for an easy fix.

1.06 seemed to correct the save / load time issue for me (have already deleted a lot of old saves) however it's back again as of last night. I'm talking 1 - 1&1/2 minutes to load. Saving is quicker then that but still a pain.

You really need to time that because 60-90 seconds is a really long time... ;)  I note that after 1.06.xxx my save times have never been faster--I noticed how much shorter they've been, in fact, and have been pleasantly surprised by it.  No doubt about it, though, loading does take longer than saving at the moment--nowhere near 60-90 seconds for me, but 15-20 seconds, certainly.  Saves are 2-4 seconds at the moment, so quite a bit of difference there.  Game is definitely on the right track.

It's very well known that I don't make mistakes, so if you should stumble across the odd error here and there in what I have written, you may immediately deduce--quite correctly--that I did not write it... :biggrin:

I've noticed this as well. Seems like file size gets bigger as you progress through the game (my first few saves were 0.5Mb and towards the end, these were around 6Mb). Reducing stash size seemed to improve matters a bit for me (appeared to load slower when I had 6 pages of assorted weapons as compared to after I sold most items off). It's just a hunch though, might not really be so.

Interesting about the items bit, might need to try that.

Yes, 60 - 90 seconds sounds like an exaggeration but it really isn't. I'll stopwatch it next time for accuracy. My saves take around the 15 second mark. I should note that area transition is fine, that's only a couple of seconds, it's just the loading that takes a while.

Load and save times are pretty long for me but I'm guessing only 4G of RAM has a lot to do with that - I'm probably lucky I can play at all...  :p

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...