Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

mkreku

My interpretation is that he sees making games as hobby and which should be fun to do, but it wasn't as fun as it should be or possible it was too much focused around making money, so he felt that life is too short to do something that don't satisfy you so he decided to look that sparkle that made him to love making games elsewhere, even if that means teaching others how to achieve their game making dreams instead of making more games himself.

But as he don't directly say what actually were his reason only general feelings of things and observations of how things were, it is impossible to do anything else than guess.

Sounds to me like Mr Avellone simply had the urge to wander and expand his experiences, it must be a dry business cranking out RPGs for a living, I remember Mr Spector stating much the same shortly before Deus Ex released, how he was so pleased to leave pseudo medievalism behind for a change. Of course any setting may grow stale with experience, but I suspect considering Mr Avellones broad tastes and commitments that such will not be a problem for the gentleman.

I would still love to see an actual survival horror made by the gentleman, so many of his projects have made leanings in that direction that the chap must want to explore it more thoroughly, and judging by Dead Money (my undisputed favourite part of New Vegas) i'd be more than happy to play them.

Making it good craftsmanship but devoid of the madness, bold ideas, risk taking and spontaneity that appeals to me.

That's actually a pretty spot on critique for me as well, at least in comparison to their other games. A strength and weakness of the studio to be sure. That they can produce a well made game, but it will lose soul - or they can make a soulful game, but it tends to be a wee bit buggy and wrought with less than optimal mechanics.

That said I thoroughly enjoyed PoE and Sawyers direction - and while the game lacked Avellone's madness I was happy to see it didn't lack ambition.

You chaps really ought to watch the latest video from Mr BTongue on Youtube dealing with the IE successors, quite a similar summation.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

To me it reads as MCA being tired of the management responsibilities that came with his position and the creative limitations that come with the business reality of maintaining a mid-sized independent development company afloat.  Sounds like he wants to be an independent contractor for a while and enjoy the freedom on not being tied to a single company.  Of course, as with any interpretation, I could be way off.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I think MCA is busy bulking up for his upcoming role as Bullseye in Marvel's Daredevil.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Based on how skillfully MCA managed to avoid giving a real answer to the question, there can be but one conclusion.

MCA left Obsidian to run for president.

"Nothing can change the nature of a man. Except MCA. Vote now!"

• Like 3

Based on how skillfully MCA managed to avoid giving a real answer to the question, there can be but one conclusion.

MCA left Obsidian to run for president.

"Nothing can change the nature of a man. Except MCA. Vote now!"

"What can change the nature of a country?"

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Did he say there was a chance to do another KOTOR, but Obsidian didn't want to?  Or did I misread that because my mind was too busy fangirling over any mention of further KOTOR titles?

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Did he say there was a chance to do another KOTOR, but Obsidian didn't want to?  Or did I misread that because my mind was too busy fangirling over any mention of further KOTOR titles?

Sounds like he's saying Obsidian wasn't even aware they could have done it.

I am not sure what he actually means, but he says that there were projects like hypothetical project that has "Old" and "Republic" in its name that Obsidian didn't know that they couldn't do and that he learned about that after his departure. So it for me it gives impression that some people in Obsidian has at least tried to pitch making said hypothetical game without knowing that they didn't have any change to do it.

I guess we all got different interpretations from his "answer". 

that were our point exactly. chris non answer allows anybody to infer what they wish.  

am also gonna note that the bit 'bout chis role at obsidian not being clear sounds all too familiar to us, but from employer pov.  have worked with many a valuable associate/employee that wanted more or different responsibility.  tell such folks what their job is and they sudden develop selective amnesia.  yeah, Gromnir has, more than once, explained that elizabeth or bob or phil were an invaluable asset and we needed 'em to continue doing A, but we were indeed aware that they is capable o' more... when situation changes or time permits, we is gonna get elizabeth more opportunities to do B or C or D.  two years pass and elizabeth is still doing A with very little B, C or D.  is not as if we didn't give 'em a shot at more litigation or whatever, but elizabeth ain't a litigator.  is not a criticism.  nevertheless, elizabeth keeps asking for chances to B. C and D.   

*shrug*

am not having any notion o' what chris situation were at obsidian, 'cause he were as clear as mississippi mud, but even if he were clear, we suspect that fergie mighta' seen situation different.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Sounds like he wasn't creatively fulfilled. For a guy like MCA thats as good as any reason to leave. I hope we see some sort of project with him in the lead at some point.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

What is interesting to me in that article Mr Infinitron linked is when he talks of Torment, the game he had almost total freedom in until late in development due to disinterest from the powers that be: The gentleman seems to relish the freedom and creative energy he could expend (and this shows in the game,) however I have read in other articles that the duties of creating that game near broke him in his own words, and he would not like to take on such a herculean task again. This seems to send a contradictory message, or is the gentleman simply looking back with rose tinted glasses and wanting to flex his creative muscles again, perhaps thinking that such sacrifice is worth enduring for an end product that is so satisfying to so many.

Ah speculation, what a pointlessly enjoyable passtime.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

He said couldn't have done it.

Which leaves three basic interpretations

0) They pitched to Disney, not EA. Seems unlikely though, since everyone knew about the exclusivity deal with EA

1) They pitched to EA, but EA is contractually obligated not to subcontract Star Wars titles and he found out about that after leaving

2) They pitched to EA, but EA has a directive not to subcontract any titles to external studios and he found out about that after leaving

3) Bioware/ someone else is already making Kot(O)R so a pitch was pointless, and he found out about that after leaving

0) They pitched to Disney, not EA. Seems unlikely though, since everyone knew about the exclusivity deal with EA

1) They pitched to EA, but EA is contractually obligated not to subcontract Star Wars titles and he found out about that after leaving

2) They pitched to EA, but EA has a directive not to subcontract any titles to external studios and he found out about that after leaving

3) Bioware/ someone else is already making Kot(O)R so a pitch was pointless, and he found out about that after leaving

IIRC (and I may not because, honestly, I don't pay much attention to this stuff) Obsidian/Fergus indicated they planned to pitch/pitched KotOR to Disney before the EA deal was announced.

So my (totally baseless) speculation (based on vague wording that everyone interprets differently) is

Disney were already working on/finalizing the deal (or had but hadn't announced finalizing it) with EA when Obs pitched so Disney wasn't in a position to approve such a pitch

OR

Disney plonking everything in LEGENDS but the films and TV cartoons with no plans to continue any of that stuff meant they weren't ever in the market to do more KotOR so the pitch was pointless regardless of the EA deal.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Disney plonking everything in LEGENDS but the films and TV cartoons with no plans to continue any of that stuff meant they weren't ever in the market to do more KotOR so the pitch was pointless regardless of the EA deal.

That's what I thought, the death of the extended universe meant we'd never see another Old Republic game, but that doesn't explain why Avellone would say Obsidian 'didn't know they couldn't' develop it. Unless he's sorta compressing time between the events of an Obsidian pitch, the end of the EU, and his departure from Obs.

*or rather, Expanded Universe. Either way I'm confused ... initially I thought all non-canon EU would never be revisited ... but I can't confirm that--so now I'm confused, excited, anxious, and hopeful--seventh grade all over again. 

Edited by ManifestedISO

All Stop. On Screen.

IIRC (and I may not because, honestly, I don't pay much attention to this stuff) Obsidian/Fergus indicated they planned to pitch/pitched KotOR to Disney before the EA deal was announced.

So my (totally baseless) speculation (based on vague wording that everyone interprets differently) is

Disney were already working on/finalizing the deal (or had but hadn't announced finalizing it) with EA when Obs pitched so Disney wasn't in a position to approve such a pitch

OR

I would have said those two were probable as well, but he definitely seems to say directly that he learned the pitch was impossible after his departure which was June (?) this year. The EA deal and EU -> Legends were both known well prior to that. There's also the (Legends) TOR itself which is still being developed, though he could have learned that it was an exception to a 'no more Legends' policy as an ongoing product after leaving.

There's definitely another option too, though it's definitely not likely- Disney themselves have unannounced plans for the KOTOR era for comics/ tv/ movies.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/chris-avellone-and-shanna-germain-on-shane-plays-radio-sat-19th-talking-numenera.103521/page-3#post-4291201

Immortal: Leaving Obsidian: It was time, I'll miss the devs, and life's short. Money's not important to me, it's not why I got into this business - entertaining, learning, and evolving is what matters, and I just want to make fun games with cool people. I'll do it for free (and already have since Obsidian) if the project's interesting enough (VR dialogue design, or working with a developer I really enjoy) or if I think I can help things along with advice or introductions.

Anthedon: Pursuing a Full-Time Position: Family matters preclude this, unfortunately, and it was hard enough to cope with dealing with this while at Obsidian, which is part of the reason for the departure.
Edited by Infinitron
  • Like 1