Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

mkreku

I pretty much agree with certain differences in emphases, I'd observe that the reverse is also true and calling for censorship on a privately owned site is also baffling. While that isn't what you're doing it is what Bruce is doing. That may be a philosophical difference though as by and large I have far more sympathy with people complaining of censorship than those wanting for others be censored.

What I find quite baffling is how often the people calling for censorship and safe spaces with codes of conduct to ensure everyone act as they wish are the nastiest and most toxic of individuals, and if those laws were implemented fairly (instead of encouraging groupthink and accepted ideology) they'd be the first casualties of that regime due to their blatant hatred and low opinion of everyone and everything. One can see this by their vocabulary, what they choose to champion such as criminality and hatemongering, and how they are so keen to demonise and dismiss so many people as untermensch, without intrinsic worth or value.

It's quite funny that constructive discussion now means echoing an accepted opinion, you can see why Socrates fell foul of his peers in Athens.

Edit: Any word on Mr Avellone's Poe novella yet? Thought there might be some news with the expansions announcement date.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Oh lookie here, Bruce has managed to derail yet another thread, whodathunkit.  I sense a pattern developing here...  almost as if it's intentional. hmm.JPG

Anyway, to get back on topic, here's a radio interview MCA did a few weeks back:

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I pretty much agree with certain differences in emphases, I'd observe that the reverse is also true and calling for censorship on a privately owned site is also baffling. While that isn't what you're doing it is what Bruce is doing. That may be a philosophical difference though as by and large I have far more sympathy with people complaining of censorship than those wanting for others be censored.

You guys never seem to understand my view around what I would expect from a forum around moderation

I would only expect certain really offensive comments like the rape statements to be deleted and or members warned. How can this impact all the other conversations and views and why you would have an issue with this boggles my mind 

I know you think its censorship but then by that definition this website also practices censorship?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What I find quite baffling is how often the people calling for censorship and safe spaces with codes of conduct to ensure everyone act as they wish are the nastiest and most toxic of individuals, and if those laws were implemented fairly (instead of encouraging groupthink and accepted ideology) they'd be the first casualties of that regime due to their blatant hatred and low opinion of everyone and everything. One can see this by their vocabulary, what they choose to champion such as criminality and hatemongering, and how they are so keen to demonise and dismiss so many people as untermensch, without intrinsic worth or value.

It's quite funny that constructive discussion now means echoing an accepted opinion, you can see why Socrates fell foul of his peers in Athens.

Edit: Any word on Mr Avellone's Poe novella yet? Thought there might be some news with the expansions announcement date.

Nonek its not very nice to call people toxic....remember "if you can't say something nice then rather don't say anything at all "  8)

Oh lookie here, Bruce has managed to derail yet another thread, whodathunkit.  I sense a pattern developing here...  almost as if it's intentional. hmm.JPG

Anyway, to get back on topic, here's a radio interview MCA did a few weeks back:

You have a habit of assuming when a group of people are discussing something they obviously find interesting but you don't they are " derailing a thread " ....its a strange view of peoples posts ?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Any word on what MCA is doing after Obsidian?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Nonek its not very nice to call people toxic....remember "if you can't say something nice then rather don't say anything at all "  8)

Calling people "toxic" doesn't really ping my radar, but snidely passive-agressive dismissals that descend into a level of non-specificity where the point being made is completely obscured in an attempt to maintain plausible deniability are indeed not very nice. Not to mention woefully inefficient from a communication standpoint.

Edited by aluminiumtrioxid
  • Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Point proven it seems.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

A few veiled hints by Mr Avellone on the aforementioned RPG Codex: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/questions-for-chris-avellone-radio-interview-now-updated-with-additional-answers-from-mca.101510/page-5

Halfway down the page, using the Durance avatar.

• Like 1

Tea for the teapot!

Point proven it seems.

Not really, I thought you had moved on from the various GG debates and ill feeling.

But it seems you still carry a grudge....we can talk about it if you want ? I can help you :biggrin: 

John Milton 

Point proven it seems.

Hardly?

I mean, nor "blatant hatred and low opinion of everything and everyone", nor "choosing to champion criminality (what is this I can't even) and hatemongering", nor "demonising and dismissing so many people as untermensch without intrinsic worth and value" took place on the last page of discussion, unless those words now mean something completely different than they did yesterday.

Well, either that, or the meaning of "point proven" has been radically redefined when I wasn't looking.

• Like 1

"Lulz is not the highest aspiration of art and mankind, no matter what the Encyclopedia Dramatica says."

Point proven it seems.

Hardly?

I mean, nor "blatant hatred and low opinion of everything and everyone", nor "choosing to champion criminality (what is this I can't even) and hatemongering", nor "demonising and dismissing so many people as untermensch without intrinsic worth and value" took place on the last page of discussion, unless those words now mean something completely different than they did yesterday.

Well, either that, or "point proven" means something completely different than what I was led to believe it means.

Oh no Nonek....you have been challenged on your grandstanding, what to do....what to do    :wowey:

John Milton 

Oh no Nonek....you have been challenged on your grandstanding, what to do....what to do    :wowey:

Gloating isn't a very nice thing either, Bruce :p

:lol:

You right, I'm trying to be a better forum person after someone gave me some constructive criticism ....but Nonek did say I had the intelligence of a monkey and was worried my brain was rotting from syphilis so I can't be held responsible for my posts ..I have a mental dysfunction  :shrugz:  

John Milton 

Point proven it seems.

Hardly?

Well, either that, or the meaning of "point proven" has been radically redefined when I wasn't looking.

Calling people "toxic" doesn't really ping my radar, but snidely passive-agressive dismissals that descend into a level of non-specificity where the point being made is completely obscured in an attempt to maintain plausible deniability are indeed not very nice. Not to mention woefully inefficient from a communication standpoint.

Does not the above underlined and bolded seem a little incendiary for a general observation I was making about no specific person? If my observation caused upset that was most certainly not my intent, I was merely noting an oddity of behaviour where the loudest voices seem incapable of self reflection or practising the behaviour they preach. In regards to my original post my point would be proven by your choice of vocabulary, unfit for debating in a civilised manner, in the theoretical promised land of debate envisioned.

The other points are behaviour and attitudes i've seen from various people holding the same opinion, at different times and places, such as Rock, Paper, Shotgun laughing about a bomb threat, Leigh Alexander demonising and insulting millions of innocent people whom happen to play games recreationally yet now ironically calls for non toxic environments, #killallmen and the unreasonable people whom supported the user of that sickening hashtag etcetera.

Edit: My apologies for further derailing the thread Moderators.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

Does not the above underlined and bolded seem a little incendiary for a general observation I was making about no specific person?

It absolutely would be, were my observations specifically aimed at you!

However, I never said "Nonek did this particular, not very nice thing", I just mentioned that people who do that sort of thing are not very nice and that it's a very inefficient communication strategy. You know, as a general observation, made about no specific person.

Ah and since I did no such thing this was an obvious mix up, my apologies and thank you for the explanation.

Edited by Nonek

Tea for the teapot!

Ah and since I did no such thing this was an obvious mix up, my apologies and thank you for the explanation.

No problem, miscommunication happens, even with the best faith assumed on part of all participants.

I thank you as well in turn, for your earlier clarification that you were talking about people who are not members of this forum in your original post.

A few veiled hints by Mr Avellone on the aforementioned RPG Codex: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/questions-for-chris-avellone-radio-interview-now-updated-with-additional-answers-from-mca.101510/page-5

Neat, thanks for that!

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I'm more curious what Obsidian is doing after MCA.

The tank game, an expansion to PoE.  Anything else?  Seems like ages since Obsidian made a game I was looking forward to (that wasn't Kickstarted).

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

However, I never said "Nonek did this particular, not very nice thing", I just mentioned that people who do that sort of thing are not very nice and that it's a very inefficient communication strategy. You know, as a general observation, made about no specific person.

Dangit! Earlier, when you had mentioned "snidely passive-agressive dismissals", I considered snarking, "Are we talking about Nonek or Bruce, here? :unsure: ", but ultimately decided against it. :p Alas, such opportunities, once passed, are gone with the wind... :(

(e): Why do I need to have a space after :unsure: for it to work? What nonsense! >_<

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Dangit! Earlier, when you had mentioned "snidely passive-agressive dismissals", I considered snarking, "Are we talking about Nonek or Bruce, here? :unsure: ", but ultimately decided against it. :p Alas, such opportunities, once passed, are gone with the wind... :(

(e): Why do I need to have a space after :unsure: for it to work? What nonsense! >_<

Barti you see how I''m working on my posting etiquette, don't you think I'm more amiable   :dancing:  

John Milton 

Neat, thanks for that!

+1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I'm more curious what Obsidian is doing after MCA.

The tank game, an expansion to PoE.  Anything else?  Seems like ages since Obsidian made a game I was looking forward to (that wasn't Kickstarted).

Brian Heinz is the lead designer/project director on an unannounced RPG, per Antony Davis.