Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

mkreku

Correction: Editor, chief and god of the Codex.

warning: sweary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy3I58i-f3k

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Screenshot%202015-06-16%2016.43.09.png

Very interesting...

No dev in their right mind would ever work for the Codex. For one, it's just an internet forum. For two, they hate everything.

Not true. They like Fallout 1, MCA and Tim Cain.

I think you mean "They hate Fallout 1, MCA and Tim Cain less than they hate other stuff."  Likes a pretty strong word. ;)

I keed, I keed...RPG Codex likes a lot of stuff (and individual members have wide variety of tastes); there's just not a lot of games that meet the high standards they set for "good game" status.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Very interesting...

No dev in their right mind would ever work for the Codex. For one, it's just an internet forum. For two, they hate everything.

I think you mean "They hate Fallout 1, MCA and Tim Cain less than they hate other stuff."  Likes a pretty strong word. ;)

I keed, I keed...RPG Codex likes a lot of stuff (and individual members have wide variety of tastes); there's just not a lot of games that meet the irrational and capricious standards they set for "good game" status.

fixed.

wouldn't mind consistent high standards, but certain titles and developers are subjected to a different level o' review by the codexian mob. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Very interesting...

I keed, I keed...RPG Codex likes a lot of stuff (and individual members have wide variety of tastes); there's just not a lot of games that meet the high standards they set for "good game" status.

They constantly move the goal post for what is a good game. 

Everything old = great.

Everything new = ****.

Well now he's just trolling us.

What do you mean, now?
  • Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Everything old = great.

Everything new = ****.

Nah, the difference in attitudes is more from one side of the hater/ fanboy continuum. If you went to the codex pre about 2007 you might get the impression that many hated Fallout 2 and BG2, but many also liked them. In general the same people still like them, the haters just hate them less. Which is understandable really, if you hated F2 because it was too silly or whatever you'd certainly have a far better target for your hate in F3, now, and that has quite logically shifted attitude to F2 as being at least less bad than F3. Of the new recent RPGs the vast majority of them have been well received (in general) by the codex: DivOS, Lords of Xulima, Serpent.., somewhat more equivocal for WL2. The only game that has taken a big hit is PoE and games that aren't really aimed at the codex at all like DAI, and many of the criticisms levelled at those two at the codex have been had elsewhere including here as well.

CHo9FjYWgAIfjVt.jpg

That's disrespectful, man!

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

• 5 weeks later...

Wow, I had managed to completely miss this, somehow. This is utterly depressing to hear, although ultimately not surprising. I fear that this likely ruins any chance of Pillars of Eternity ever going into a better direction as a franchise, a hope I know many were still clinging to.

Wherever he ends up, I wish him all the best in the world. I just hope that the FO4-thing is a joke, because Bethesda is at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to RPG:s. TES/FO have become the Twilight saga of roleplaying games, and the odds that Bethesda finds it's way back is about zero.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 2

t50aJUd.jpg

Him working at Bethesda would be the best thing for that company.

And him not working at Bethesda would be the best thing for anyone who likes good CRPGs.

• Like 5

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

So, any interesting newsbits about his recent departure in that interview? Or at least what he is going to do next?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Everything old = great.

Everything new = ****.

Nah, the difference in attitudes is more from one side of the hater/ fanboy continuum. If you went to the codex pre about 2007 you might get the impression that many hated Fallout 2 and BG2, but many also liked them. In general the same people still like them, the haters just hate them less. Which is understandable really, if you hated F2 because it was too silly or whatever you'd certainly have a far better target for your hate in F3, now, and that has quite logically shifted attitude to F2 as being at least less bad than F3. Of the new recent RPGs the vast majority of them have been well received (in general) by the codex: DivOS, Lords of Xulima, Serpent.., somewhat more equivocal for WL2. The only game that has taken a big hit is PoE and games that aren't really aimed at the codex at all like DAI, and many of the criticisms levelled at those two at the codex have been had elsewhere including here as well.

For me I can accept that the Codex does have very informed and committed gamers, of course that in itself creates an issue as there a vibe of elitism but my main issue is the lack of moderation. The last time I went there to read a link there was a discussion about GG and there were a few people who were  openly talking about rape as a solution to deal with feminists or something equally as offensive. And I'm sorry but I have major issues with any website that allows such flagrant  sexism or other comments of bigotry 

It is simply not acceptable to me so the Codex will be missing out on  my erudite views and informed opinions as I refuse to frequent its forums   :teehee:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela