Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

mkreku

MCA is finally free to make his high school romance simulator.

Yes, but it will be a high school romance simulator with RPG elements, supernatural horror and existential dread, he's taking over the Persona series.  After that he's doing a sequel to Catherine.

MCA barely mentions his work on Pillars and quickly moves on, while he talks at length, and, dare I say, lovingly, about Wasteland 2 and TToN.  Hmm... 

2l9hy6d.jpg

Yup...people can scoff and be condescending all they want but if you read between the lines it seems as if he wasn't happy with how that turned out...or WHY it turned out that way.(not naming names) He wasn't even in the documentary like was stated before.

But yea we don't and probably never will have any proof...silence can be pretty loud sometimes though.

Edited by GreyFox
  • Like 1

Possibility #1: He went to work for JibJab, with the upcoming presidential election and whatnot.

Possibility #2: A guy bumped into him in some LA dive bar who turned out to be Quentin Tarantino in disguise. Vodka & tequila flowed, so did ideas. 

Possibility #3: We all got very lucky and he's left to tutor Peter Clines how to wrap up fiction properly.

Possibility #4: Notch... needed a butler.

Possibility #5: Half-Life 3 Confirmed!

LOL Seriously, y'all are a bunch of busy bodies. Job changes are typical in a career.

• Like 1

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

"Anyway, could it be that Obsidian and inXile are doing the employee version of a game of wife swapping?"

Lots of people are discussing this like it is simply an employee leaving for whatever reason. This is a co owner/co founder choosing to leave his creation. To me, this is what makes this a big deal.  This is different, than say, Sawyer leaving Obsidian or Gaider leaving Bioware. They are employees - long term and senior employees - but still employers.

This is an owner basically saying 'Sayanara'.  And, it's not like he's burned out from making games as he claims it'll be what he wnats to do  still. So, I says hmmm...

Edited by Volourn
  • Like 6

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Has anyone here worked at one place for 12 years?

Yes?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

"Anyway, could it be that Obsidian and inXile are doing the employee version of a game of wife swapping?"

Lots of people are discussing this like it is simply an employee leaving for whatever reason. This is a co owner/co founder choosing to leave his creation. To me, this is what makes this a big deal.  This is different, than say, Sawyer leaving Obsidian or Gaider leaving Bioware. They are employees - long term and senior employees - but still employers.

This is an owner basically saying 'Sayanara'.  And, it's not like he's burned out from making games as he claims it'll be what he wnats to do  still. So, I says hmmm...

Maybe it's because he IS a co-owner and co-founder that he is leaving?  This is pure conjecture on my part but anything is conjecture at the moment and it's fun so let's go with it: perhaps as a co-owner he had obligations he couldn't get away from that got in the way of his wanting to do game design more, and felt that it influenced everything he did?  He may have held off from pushing for things precisely because he was owner and was worried that it would look like he was abusing his position, and constantly having to deal with people as 'employees' as opposed to co-workers and so actually wound up exerting less influence as a result?  He could be going for a more freelance role, where he can pick up work from Obsidian, inXile, and anywhere else that he fancies doing without any obligation to do things he isn't interested in, to deal with people on his terms etc.  To shed responsibilities.

Complete theorycraft with no relevance to reality and probably offensive, for which I apologise but I love sticking my oar in. :D

• Like 4

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

Co-founders of bands leave all the time, usually due to creative differences that form over time. I think the majority of them are probably fairly sincere in their best wishes to one another when that happens. Yes, it's uprooting a larger tree, but still just moving a tree.

Buncha hens.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

He is a co owner, not just a worker.

That really doesn't change anything.  12 years is a long run.  It's very common to want a change around that mark.  

Maybe it's because he IS a co-owner and co-founder that he is leaving?  This is pure conjecture on my part but anything is conjecture at the moment and it's fun so let's go with it: perhaps as a co-owner he had obligations he couldn't get away from that got in the way of his wanting to do game design more, and felt that it influenced everything he did?  He may have held off from pushing for things precisely because he was owner and was worried that it would look like he was abusing his position, and constantly having to deal with people as 'employees' as opposed to co-workers and so actually wound up exerting less influence as a result?  He could be going for a more freelance role, where he can pick up work from Obsidian, inXile, and anywhere else that he fancies doing without any obligation to do things he isn't interested in, to deal with people on his terms etc.  To shed responsibilities.

Complete theorycraft with no relevance to reality and probably offensive, for which I apologise but I love sticking my oar in. :D

I think this is probable.  As a co-owner, especially of a perpetually-in-crisis studio like Obsidian, you are often worried about taking care of your employees, trying to avoid layoffs, keep the lights on, etc.  It may be that it would have been irresponsible of him to push for his weirder ideas if he knew they would likely not have been sustainable for the company. (Obsidian is a relatively big studio, remember, they need fairly big projects to stay sustainable.)

Ive been at the same place for almost 20 years.

Huh.  Maybe it's just an education thing, but we get a solid amount of people getting antsy to move on in between the 10-15 year mark.  Some do, some stick it out.  Once you hit 20, you can see the light at the end of the tunnel though.

Don't you get tenure at some point? The only way I would leave a gig like that is toes first on a gurney. :lol:

You get tenure pretty early on.  What really keeps people in their place is the fact that most school districts will not give you more than 10 years credit when moving to a new job, so you can take a pretty significant pay cut if you leave after more than 10 years.

Good luck MCA. 

For now I probably won't back POE2 or anyother KS projects from Obsidian,only if they have some new super weapons on game writhing.

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, She got the Mercedes Benz

She's got a lot of pretty, pretty boys, that she calls friends

How they dance in the courtyard, sweet summer sweat.

Some dance to remember, some dance to forget

Ive been at the same place for almost 20 years.

Huh.  Maybe it's just an education thing, but we get a solid amount of people getting antsy to move on in between the 10-15 year mark.  Some do, some stick it out.  Once you hit 20, you can see the light at the end of the tunnel though.

I was at my previous company for exactly 12 years :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've never worked anywhere for more than 4.5 years. I have a short attention span.

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

Correction: Editor, chief and god of the Codex.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!