Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

mkreku

Ahh, humor is such an excellent way of coping with this news. Meanwhile I've been getting drunk and listening to Enya.

I've been getting drunk as well, but I'm afraid I have a better taste in music.

You obviously don't get it; this ain't about joy its about self torment.

• Like 3
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

one possibility not yet considered: chris genuine believes that he is going to hogwarts.

as a writer o' crpgs, chris must necessarily have a rather loose grip on reality. perhaps he finally let go.  for years his psyche has stood at the gaping maw o' a metaphorical chipper-shredder, white-knuckled hands grasping the rusted steel feed chute and inexorably failing. at last, his arms, tired beyond reasonable endurance, shudder, spasm and fail.   a brief smirk o' bitter relief paints his features 'fore his demons finally have their way, sending chris' sanity headfirst into the angry metal mouth where what were left o' his tortured mind gets turned into tiny splinters o' memory and the dust o' half-forgotten dreams.  

HA! Good Fun!

I fookin' love the image this conjures in my mind!

Anyway, could it be that Obsidian and inXile are doing the employee version of a game of wife swapping?  You know, Fargo gets to bed Chris for a night and Fergus gets to bed one of their guys?  Or they are like swapping people like they do with baseball cards or OMIGOD CHRIS AVELLONE IS A POKEMON!!!!!   It all makes sense now!   They must've had too many Avellonachus and decided to swap one!!!!   You all heard it here first!

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

MCA barely mentions his work on Pillars and quickly moves on, while he talks at length, and, dare I say, lovingly, about Wasteland 2 and TToN.  Hmm... 

2l9hy6d.jpg

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

MCA is leaving to compete on Masterchef, if victorious he will demand to be called Master Chef Avellone.

MCA barely mentions his work on Pillars and quickly moves on, while he talks at length, and, dare I say, lovingly, about Wasteland 2 and TToN.  Hmm... 

2l9hy6d.jpg

I noticed that as well. I'll admit to not liking PoE as much as I hoped, but it seems odd.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2l9hy6d.jpg

I noticed the following:

PCI: You’ve spoke a bit about crowd funding, would you ever consider heading up a Kickstarter?

CA: I’m going to hold off on answering that for now.

Completely reading into things obviously, nothing to back it up, but what if he is planning his own Kickstarter project?

"That rabbit's dynamite!" - King Arthur, Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail

"Space is big, really big." - Douglas Adams

PCI: You’ve spoke a bit about crowd funding, would you ever consider heading up a Kickstarter?

Completely reading into things obviously, nothing to back it up, but what if he is planning his own Kickstarter project?

Yeah, he very much tiptoed around that question.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Could it be the fabled IE games spiritual successor take 3 (4?)?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

More than likely it will be his high school RPG.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2l9hy6d.jpg

I noticed the following:

There is a recent interview with Fargo where he talks about Van Buren IP InXile got and how Avellone had great ideas about it when talking to him.

So my guess is that after TToN is out, Avellone is going to make a KS pitch for a Van Buren KS or "The real Fallout 3" :)

• Like 1

More than likely it will be his high school RPG.

what makes u think it will be arrpeegee

WTNTO7H.jpg

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

This is quite unfortunate for Obsidian, but I'm sure they will survive. And chris will land on a great job as well.

Speculating about this leads to nowhere, but since its quite fun, i'll throw my 2 cents. :p Any number of reasons could be the cause for his departure.

1. Maybe he had some kind of disagreement with the oweners about the direction of company.

2. Maybe he was getting tired of cancelled projects and cut work, but then again Avellone is an industry veteran, I'm sure he has gotten used the cuts and cancelation already.

3. Maybe he was unhappy about not being in a project lead position for a very long time.

4. Any number of personal reasons

5. Simply wanting a change. Its not that uncommon.

6. Getting a job offer you could not refuse. Being the creative director in obsidian is a freaking cool job, its not the only dream job for a guy like CHA.

And so forth.

I doubt however its about Sawyer or any other Obsidian employee though. Both guys are just too professional to act like bunch of little girls who couldn't settle their creative differences. And please that cut limerick stuff is just stupid. Who even cares about it being removed. A big storm in a tiny glass.

Edited by Carados

MCA barely mentions his work on Pillars and quickly moves on, while he talks at length, and, dare I say, lovingly, about Wasteland 2 and TToN. Hmm...

2l9hy6d.jpg

I noticed the following:

There is a recent interview with Fargo where he talks about Van Buren IP InXile got and how Avellone had great ideas about it when talking to him.

So my guess is that after TToN is out, Avellone is going to make a KS pitch for a Van Buren KS or "The real Fallout 3" :)

MCA is finally free to make his high school romance simulator.

Avellone is going to help write that Tsundere-Chan simulator game that keeps popping up in my Youtube recommended list.

• Like 1

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?