Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

mkreku

but if he moves to CD Project Red

Now that is something i can get behind. CDPR and Chris Avellone? Yes please!

Dude CDPR is a polish studio, and the writers are polish as well. The game was written in poilsh and what we get is merely a translation. I know a polish guy on Steam who claims the english translation is "competent" at best, and fails to convey a lot of stuff. I highly doubt CDPR would even contact Avellone. There'd be massive communication problems if Avellone was writing in English and the rest of the people in Polish.

Really sad to see Avellone go. He's easily my favourite writer when it comes to videogames. I wonder what lies ahead for Obsidian without one of its key people (and to me, the most important person there).

This isn't entirely true.

It's based in Poland with most people being Polish but there are a lot of guys from other countries. My good friend (who worked at BioWare then EA then another place) told me recently that another person from BioWare joined CDPR. So that's another foreigner on the team. Just because they are polish studio doesn't mean they are Polish-only.

As for Chris I dunno how much he actually brought into POE or  FNV. Studios are teams not 1 man armies. While he is certainly talented Obsidian still has a lot of talented people. I wish him all the best and I look forward to his future endeavours.

True. I met some of their foreign devs during a convention last year. But none of them were writers; language doesn't matter so much in programming or art design. I don't know if they currently have any foreign writers, but I remember reading their job offers a few years ago and speaking Polish natively was one of the requirements for writers.

I like the idea of him being some legendary mercenary game dev. Sweeping in, leaving his mark, and moving on. Mercenary Game Designer would be pretty cool to have on his business cards.

• Like 4
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

wouldn't be surprised if he was forced to leave due to the relation to a certain limerick

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Stick figure cartoons. He's going to become a Mushashi Miyamoto-like recluse and master the art form.

Edited by Leferd
  • Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I can confirm English translation of Wiedzmin is terrible. It misses like half the consonants.

I smell bias. We all know they hate vowels in Poland.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I mean, why would he leave to go to another computer game company? Going to a big company like Bethesda or Bioware would give him less freedom and control over things. Going to a smaller company like inXile would be (at best) a lateral move. He is leaving a company where he has more creative leeway and one in which he has an ownership stake in, so wherever he goes must be not just a better situation, but a considerably better situation.

That is a little too simplified. We don't know enough to draw a conclusion like that, all we know is what he posted on FB and twitter - a sudden opening, a growing idea and him not being able to say anything yet.

There's a number of reason why he could have left Obsidian and accepted a position at another development studio, be it a problem with the general direction (like the oft cited Amored Warfare F2P thingie), personal issues or simply not wanting to have a managerial position any more where his duties to his company interferes with what he wants to do - be creative and develop games, as opposed to being a glorified PR figure and living Kickstarter stretch goal.

Or he wants to do something else completely, like travelling trough India for a while and seeking enlightenment. Stranger things have happened. :)

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I can confirm English translation of Wiedzmin is terrible. It misses like half the consonants.

I smell bias. We all know they hate vowels in Poland.

Hate is such a strong word. I had to embrace consonants or break my tongue trying to pronounce my own name. A choice like this is no choice at all. :(

• Like 1

Chris Avellone has resolved to learn kung fu to track down the criminal that killed his partner.

• Like 7

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Chris Avellone has decided to follow in LeBron James' footsteps and take his talents to South Beach.  He'll announce it via press conference on ESPN tomorrow at noon.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

My last speculation: Lead designer on the new Kung Fury RPG?

In all seriousness however it must be strange to be so obsessed over, and disturbing at times I imagine. At such a time as quitting a long held career position one would probably be quite repulsed by all this attention, and merely want a chance for self reflection, a few beers and a spot of long denied laziness. The quasi fame must be quite an unusual situation for anybody.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Seriously...WTF?

Rumours abound he gone to InXile.....bu why.  he already friends with them...does work for them....why leave the company you created?  Something not right about all this...suspect he wants to finish his baby he had to leave 12 years ago...and InXile can give it him...and he been told it's them or us.

Sad day...but will follow Chris and his games anywhere.....sorry obs...bought your games for one reason and one reason alone.  His writing....

one possibility not yet considered: chris genuine believes that he is going to hogwarts.

as a writer o' crpgs, chris must necessarily have a rather loose grip on reality. perhaps he finally let go.  for years his psyche has stood at the gaping maw o' a metaphorical chipper-shredder, white-knuckled hands grasping the rusted steel feed chute and inexorably failing. at last, his arms, tired beyond reasonable endurance, shudder, spasm and fail.   a brief smirk o' bitter relief paints his features 'fore his demons finally have their way, sending chris' sanity headfirst into the angry metal mouth where what were left o' his tortured mind gets turned into tiny splinters o' memory and the dust o' half-forgotten dreams.  

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 9

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So can we still have a Chris Avellone stretch goal on Obsidian's next Kickstarter?

• Like 7

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Chris Avellone will expose himself to cosmic radiation and gain the ability of plasticity and elongation. He will use these powers to fight crime under the name "Stretch Goal".

• Like 8

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Ahh, humor is such an excellent way of coping with this news. Meanwhile I've been getting drunk and listening to Enya.

• Like 5
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Ahh, humor is such an excellent way of coping with this news. Meanwhile I've been getting drunk and listening to Enya.

I've been getting drunk as well, but I'm afraid I have a better taste in music.

• Like 2