Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

mkreku

I wish Chris Avellone all the best, and hope he'll still work on PC RPG's in the future. I wouldn't mind him helping out Bethesda with Fallout 4  8)

that would be the first good news about that game

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

but if he moves to CD Project Red

Now that is something i can get behind. CDPR and Chris Avellone? Yes please!

Dude CDPR is a polish studio, and the writers are polish as well. The game was written in poilsh and what we get is merely a translation. I know a polish guy on Steam who claims the english translation is "competent" at best, and fails to convey a lot of stuff. I highly doubt CDPR would even contact Avellone. There'd be massive communication problems if Avellone was writing in English and the rest of the people in Polish.

Really sad to see Avellone go. He's easily my favourite writer when it comes to videogames. I wonder what lies ahead for Obsidian without one of its key people (and to me, the most important person there).

This isn't entirely true.

It's based in Poland with most people being Polish but there are a lot of guys from other countries. My good friend (who worked at BioWare then EA then another place) told me recently that another person from BioWare joined CDPR. So that's another foreigner on the team. Just because they are polish studio doesn't mean they are Polish-only.

As for Chris I dunno how much he actually brought into POE or  FNV. Studios are teams not 1 man armies. While he is certainly talented Obsidian still has a lot of talented people. I wish him all the best and I look forward to his future endeavours.

Edited by Killyox

MCA will leave videogames to travel through time and space with a strange man in a blue box.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I wonder if some entity forced him to step down because he is straight and instead they want to replace him with a militant lgbt or feminist that will soon make obsidian games super politically correct where attractive women are no longer allowed.

Edited by luzarius
  • Like 1

Having trouble with the games combat on POTD, Trial of Iron?

- Hurtin bomb droppin MONK - [MONK BUILD] - [CLICK HERE]

- Think Rangers suck? You're wrong - [RANGER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

- Fighter Heavy Tank - [FIGHTER BUILD] + Tactics/Strategies - [CLICK HERE]

Despite what I may post, I'm a huge fan of Pillars of Eternity, it's one of my favorite RPG's.

Anita Sarkeesian keeps Bioware's balls in a jar on her shelf.

I wonder if some entity forced him to step down because he is straight and instead they want to replace him with a militant lgbt or feminist that will soon make obsidian games super politically correct where attractive women are no longer allowed.

You are kind of obsessed with this stuff.  

• Like 8

You are kind of obsessed with this stuff.  

I'm pretty sure he's a Poe.

At first I wasn't sure but seeing the escalating derangement of his posts has convinced me.

• Like 4

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-09-chris-avellone-leaves-obsidian-entertainment

UPDATE #2: In a short email response, Obsidian boss Feargus Urquhart acknowledged the news.

"Chris Avellone is no longer at Obsidian," he told me. "We wish him the best in his future endeavours."

That's rather...curt.

Yeah I find it strange that in the past Obsidian has posted to announce past developers leaving and has wished them well, but that's not happening here.

I still think the "Sawyer and Avellone don't like each other" claims are completely unfounded and have offered no evidence to back up the claim, but the commentary on Avellone leaving thusfar (or lack thereof) seems strange.

Edited by Longknife
  • Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Yeah I find it strange that in the past Obsidian has posted to announce past developers leaving and has wished them well, but that's not happening here.

They did? I don't remember anything like that.

Sec lemme see if I can remember what forum they posted the last one in.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

He may be misremembering the stalker/ninja posts from C2B and Funcroc.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-09-chris-avellone-leaves-obsidian-entertainment

UPDATE #2: In a short email response, Obsidian boss Feargus Urquhart acknowledged the news.

"Chris Avellone is no longer at Obsidian," he told me. "We wish him the best in his future endeavours."

That's rather...curt.

i hear ya man i expected a tweet detailing the severance package

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

They did? I don't remember anything like that.

I do.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he did leave due to PoE and it's direction going forward...how often was he shown in the PoE Documentary? Could be that he wanted to distance himself from that.

Or maybe he is just bored...but it does seem an odd time to leave, when on the surface, it looks like times haven't been better at OE. We may never really know because each side is just going to say "we wish them well" and keep it classy.

Edited by GreyFox

Guys. Those announcements were made by C2B and Funcroc, not Obsidianites themselves.

Though it hasn't yet been disproved that Funcroc is not in fact, a secret leaking cabal led by Sawyer.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Or maybe he is just bored...but it does seem an odd time to leave, when on the surface, it looks like times haven't been better at OE. We may never really know because each side is just going to say "we wish them well" and keep it classy.

I don't know, Obsidian right now seems stuck on some projects of varying interests for their fanbase and them : they help with Skyforge, they're the main developers of Armored Warfare, etc. Aside from PoE and maybe the adaptation of Pathfinder's Card Adventure Game, they don't seem to have much of the stuff which made them famous on their plate.

• Like 1

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he did leave due to PoE and it's direction going forward...how often was he shown in the PoE Documentary? Could be that he wanted to distance himself from that.

Or maybe he is just bored,,,but it does seem an odd time to leave, when on the surface, it looks like times haven't been better at OE. We may never really know because each side is just going to say "we wish them well" and keep it classy.

If he wanted to distance himself from that one must ponder why he gave most interviews and kept most of the presentations during its development.

I would personally would guess that he was so little in documentary because he was constantly in conferences presenting the game and worked several projects at same time, like for example Wasteland 2, FTL, Torment Tides of Numenera, Accursed, several novelettes in different projects, acting in webseries/short films, etc.. There is just limit how much one man can do.

• Like 2

What about the Novella that Chris was spouse to write it more then 2 month after the release of Pillars of Eternity and there is no update on his work and now that Chris leaving Obsiadian i want to know if he even going to end it.

be careful what you wish for.  insist on completion has chrisA write that the novella protagonist gets drunk and wanders over a cliff ledge whilst looking for a place to relieve himself... and dies.  the end. 

HA! Good Fun!

Still better than Twilight.

• Like 1

sonsofgygax.JPG

I don't know, Obsidian right now seems stuck on some projects of varying interests for their fanbase and them : they help with Skyforge, they're the main developers of Armored Warfare, etc. Aside from PoE and maybe the adaptation of Pathfinder's Card Adventure Game, they don't seem to have much of the stuff which made them famous on their plate.

That's my read as well.  Managing the creative side of a company working mostly on MMO-type stuff doesn't exactly feel like it's in Avellone's wheelhouse. 

And, even if GreyFox is right and things have never been better for Obsidian, well, what better time for Chris to cash out his equity interest in the company?  Sell high! 

• Like 1

Where exactly do all these Sawyer rumors come from? I've never actually seen anything cited, it's always just been pure speculation.

As far as I can tell, it comes from people who don't like Sawyer assuming that Avellone agrees with them.

the way rumors germinate and spread is curious and amusing.  as you say, some folks don't like sawyer-- he ruined poe. chris mentioned in an interview that durance and grieving mother material had been cut from poe.  *gasp*  so clearly the reason chris left obsidian is 'cause he were escaping the new tyrannical sawyer regime... or something like that. creative free-thinkers is no longer having a place at obsidian.  the way sawyer did not instant reject appeals to remove the divisive limerick also works into the conspiracy theorist's calculus, but am having difficulty balancing that equation.  

once the rumor is created it need only be shared by a handful o' like-minded nutters to gain strength.  gotta say pazuzu's name three times before he manifests's, yes... or is it betelgeuse? works similar with rumors.  rumors grow not with evidence but with repetition.  eventual the rumors gets passed along to a place such as this message board and bioware and steam forums and...

heck, the rumors might even be true, but is unlikely to be for reasons the rumormongers believe.  for all we know, two years ago josh borrowed chris' copy of Fat Cat Art: Famous Masterpieces Improved by a Ginger Cat with Attitude, and never returned the volume.  and so the feud were born.  is as likely as the theories we has seen tossed about here and elsewhere.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well, if we are going to speculate and add rumors, it seems possible to me (based on nothing, but let's not let that get in the way) that he must be leaving to replace one of the head honcho guys who was in charge of DnD who left recently.

I mean, why would he leave to go to another computer game company? Going to a big company like Bethesda or Bioware would give him less freedom and control over things. Going to a smaller company like inXile would be (at best) a lateral move. He is leaving a company where he has more creative leeway and one in which he has an ownership stake in, so wherever he goes must be not just a better situation, but a considerably better situation.

Is going to head up the product line of Dungeons and Dragons a "better situation"? Maybe, but it is owned by a large faceless and heartless company. But since his interests seem more in line with stories and ideas, then why should we limit ourselves to speculate just on computer game companies?

There...I've convinced myself so it must be true.

• Like 1

Fat Cat Art: Famous Masterpieces Improved by a Ginger Cat with Attitude

It actually exists. I'm not sure what to think of this.

It must be true then!

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours