Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

mkreku

So long as we're making wild guesses, I suspect that the indie scene is the most probable place where you'll see MCA's future vidyagame work.  The guy seems to be passionate about his creative projects, but the day-to-day stress of helping to run a reasonably large company has got to be tiring.  And, given that the company is reduced to working on Tank MMOs so that they can make payroll, it probably isn't quite the avenue of creative expression that it used to be. 

isn't obsidian an independent developer?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Guys, you know Obsidian is more than one guy, right?

Yes, and? They still work at Obsidian. A founder of the company just left. I think that justifies discussing that particular person. Nothing has changed with the other devs, and that means there isn't much to discuss.

He's updated his Facebook profile to say that he's the former creative director, co-owner, and design guy at Obsidian Entertainment so I guess it's 'Facebook Official' now. :(

On a more lighthearted note, he also posted this:

With much well wishes, I can now officially say I have officially left Obsidian Entertainment to accept a sudden (and promising) opening as the Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor at Hogwarts.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I guess he got sick of sawyer's crap and people always cutting his ideas.  This is a good thing for him.

Let's not speculate, although I doubt that Avellone being an industry veteran would be unable to deal with cuts. But everyone seems ready to cast Sawyer as an SJW and salvage Avellone just because of that incident with PoE.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

What incident?

People whined about an off colour joke, Sawyer said he would bring it to his superiors. He then got attacked for bowing to the SJWs for providing basic customer service.

• Like 4
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Chris is talented, but Obsidian have a lot of great writers and they will do fine without him. I know some developers could really do with a writer of his caliber, e.g. Bioware, Bethesda. I am not bashing those two as they make great stories, but they could be much better.

In all likelihood Chris is going to InXile, he has worked for them on their last two projects, they registered the name of a project he once worked on and InXile has a close relationship with Obsidian.

Regardless with whatever happens I wish him and Obsidian luck, though neither really needs it. :)

Edit - If I could make him go do something I wanted, it would be his own original project.

Edited by Aedelric

Maybe now we can get a non-screwed up romance in an Obsidian game! :D 

I kid I kid, I do hope he succeeds in his future endeavors.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I guess he got sick of sawyer's crap and people always cutting his ideas.  This is a good thing for him.

Let's not speculate, although I doubt that Avellone being an industry veteran would be unable to deal with cuts. But everyone seems ready to cast Sawyer as an SJW and salvage Avellone just because of that incident with PoE.

It's really weird how everyone is dead ready to call Avellone a womanizer just because he wrote Durance.

Where exactly do all these Sawyer rumors come from? I've never actually seen anything cited, it's always just been pure speculation.

It's really weird how everyone is dead ready to call Avellone a womanizer just because he wrote Durance.

He never even said that.

Edited by Longknife

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Not sure what happened, haven't followed events too closely the last few months (work load related), so not going to speculate much either. Just waiting for the Fox News version where Obama will get blamed for MCA and Obsidian parting ways.

• Like 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-09-chris-avellone-leaves-obsidian-entertainment

UPDATE #2: In a short email response, Obsidian boss Feargus Urquhart acknowledged the news.

"Chris Avellone is no longer at Obsidian," he told me. "We wish him the best in his future endeavours."

That's rather...curt.

Seems like there was a fallout between the owners.

• Like 11

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Where exactly do all these Sawyer rumors come from? I've never actually seen anything cited, it's always just been pure speculation.

As far as I can tell, it comes from people who don't like Sawyer assuming that Avellone agrees with them.

• Like 7

As far as I can tell, it comes from people who don't like Sawyer assuming that Avellone agrees with them.

Codex considers Avellone god of developers. Most of Codex also does not like Sawyer. 1+1 =

Pretty much this. It's all rumors / forum posts gone wild. I know of no interview or tweet or w/e where something like this was said or hinted at.

Reminds me a bit of this "Obsidian vs. Bethesda"-clash after this 84% New Vegas rating, which the gaming media was bloating up into something huge.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-09-chris-avellone-leaves-obsidian-entertainment

UPDATE #2: In a short email response, Obsidian boss Feargus Urquhart acknowledged the news.

"Chris Avellone is no longer at Obsidian," he told me. "We wish him the best in his future endeavours."

That's rather...curt.

Seems like there was a fallout between the owners.

Well I could be wrong, I see where you're coming from, but I can't say that sentence reads that a fallout between owners is exactly a necessity.  It could be unexpected and they didn't have a proper PR response crafted, or it could be that they don't feel any more detail would actually stop the conspiracy theories, so why add more fuel to them by offering a larger text for people to dissect and read things into...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Seems like there was a fallout between the owners.

I-see-what-you-did-there-rage-face-meme.

1+1 =

10, if you're working in binary.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Getting an owner out of a closely-held corporation isn't always an easy thing to do.  It can take some time (and consultation with attorneys and other professionals), particularly if the value of the overall company isn't easily determinable. 

• Like 1