Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

mkreku

Alright guys, fill me in... What are the trending conspiracy theories conjectures about the reasons for his leaving?

"Some ideas are so stupid that only an intellectual could believe them." -- attributed to George Orwell

Alright guys, fill me in... What are the trending conspiracy theories conjectures about the reasons for his leaving?

Well he got cookies from Bioware, so he joined the Dark Side and will be developing mobile f2p games. Stay tuned for Dragon Age: Mobile and... wait. There WAS a Mass Effect mobile phone game so I'd better stop talking. Blech. =(

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Moving from Southern California to Poland while taking a paycut so he can work on dumbed down console focused games? Sounds like tragedy in the making. No thanks. 

More like to work on the one best RPGs ever made. :)

*shudder*

rating game quality is subjective, but am gonna observe that regardless o' your opinions o' the value witcher titles, the writing chrisA has done in the past doesn't necessarily mesh with cd projekt red offerings.  perhaps chris is looking to get outta his comfort zone and try a grit & b00bs title, but it is not a natural pairing.

obvious destination from a fan pov is inxile where chris would be able to work on wasteland (the fallout games that was fallout before there were a fallout, and we all know how much chris has wanted to do fallout) and torment (an homage to chisA's vanity project from 1999) titles.  even so, am gonna keep trying to promote the kotor 3 with bioware rumor as it would send more than a few mca fans into fits o' apoplexy. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 7

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The best guess I have, is that he hates it when projects he works his butt off get cancelled (if that is what his FB post meant), moving to inXile with Mr. Fargo (who work on games they pitch at Kickstarter) makes the most sense.

Also that interview with Fargo mentioning his purchase of the Van Buren trademark (which was posted yesterday), and what he and MCA have planned for that project was also an..... odd occurrence.

They probably could benefit from somebody that has experience of writing roleplay experiences, currently they make good games, that sadly are quite limited on roleplay wise.

The reason the Witcher games are "limited roleplay wise" isn't because they lack writers capable of writing roleplay experiences, it's because they work with a pre-defined character that has an already established personality in the 7 books and short stories that predate the game. Even though CDPR **** on the books with Witcher 3, they have always kept Geralt faithful to his personality and the choices you get are what would seem Geralt could do if he were presented with those situations in the books.

I hate Unity.

I really, really doubt that he leaved to join another company. He was/is the co-owner of obsidian and no-one can say that he's projects were being screwed without his participation, and it's very doubtful that he'll have more freedom than in a company he's one of the OWNers.

Looking by what he was doing in the past five years he will just write books/magazines and eventually have a very minor participation role as a guest in game.

Edited by ilhdr

He left to write comic books.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I do not know if his departure was a surprise, really. I read in several places that their involvement in the project was minimal. And much of the content he wrote, so I figured, was cut (Durance and Grieving Mother, for exemple) of the final game. I do not know if that's one of the reasons for his departure, but that comes to my mind when I think about it.

If you have followed all the kickstarter campaign, you might realize that his name was widely used one of the great things of the game.

"Obsidian Entertainment and our legendary game designers Chris Avellone, Tim Cain, and Josh Sawyer are excited to bring you a new role-playing game for the PC Project Eternity (working title) pays homage to the great Infinity Engine games of years past.: Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment ".

He even do various activities such as goals to be achieved. Speaking of well honestly, I just I funded the game because of it. I buy anything with the name Chris, from Torment.

It's really a shame. I carry a tattoo Symbol of Torment, so much that his work has impacted me. I really wish him all the best and that he will continue bringing us great stories.

• Like 2

Kidnapped by aliens so they could steal his game design secrets, managed to escape but decided to go back to the aliens because they have more advanced technology and a better medical plan.

On a serious note, I think the most popular theories right now are:

a) Going to InXile

b) Going to Bethesda

c) Burnt out and taking a break from game development

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Mr Avellone joining up with Crystal Dynamic to write and design a new Legacy of Kain game? A man can dream.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Kidnapped by aliens so they could steal his game design secrets, managed to escape but decided to go back to the aliens because they have more advanced technology and a better medical plan.

On a serious note, I think the most popular theories right now are:

a) Going to InXile

b) Going to Bethesda

c) Burnt out and taking a break from game development

I don't think it is the burn out. He could simply state that he's taking a break, why the secrecy ("can't say yet", "ideas keep growing") if it isn't at least something related to game development.

Well unless he really made a pact with aliens and will be the first human ever to fully develop a working perpetuum mobile.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

They probably could benefit from somebody that has experience of writing roleplay experiences, currently they make good games, that sadly are quite limited on roleplay wise.

The reason the Witcher games are "limited roleplay wise" isn't because they lack writers capable of writing roleplay experiences, it's because they work with a pre-defined character that has an already established personality in the 7 books and short stories that predate the game. Even though CDPR **** on the books with Witcher 3, they have always kept Geralt faithful to his personality and the choices you get are what would seem Geralt could do if he were presented with those situations in the books.

But as CD Project has not ever done any RPG without pre-defined character it is hard to judge how well they could handle RPG with much more open character, but it is certain that they don't have lots of experience on doing such games. 

Pre-defined characters are different to write than characters that are defined by player especially how you write world's reactions towards PC. Like for example you could compare them to script (movie/tv-series/play) writing and prosaic book writing, both are writing, but being excellent in one don't necessary mean that you are excellent in other.

NEWS UPDATE: Chris Avellone join sup with the BIO Docs to create a new game development company. They name it (The) Triad in 'honour' of Troika.

• Like 4

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well he got cookies from Bioware, so he joined the Dark Side and will be developing mobile f2p games. Stay tuned for Dragon Age: Mobile and... wait. There WAS a Mass Effect mobile phone game so I'd better stop talking. Blech. =(

There have been two such Dragon Age games, iirc. Dragon Age Legends and Dragon Age Journeys. Not sure if they were strictly mobile games though rather than Facebook or similar.

InXile seems the most likely destination, so the most plausible explanation is he wants to work on VB or whatever for longer than he can really take a leave of absence or similar from Obsidian.

If it is InXile we'll likely find out soon since they have a kickstarter active, if it's somewhere or something else it will likely take longer. It's all speculation anyway, if you want conspiracy theories I'd recommend the Codex, they've been busy trolling each other with fake tweets.

rating game quality is subjective, but am gonna observe that regardless o' your opinions o' the value witcher titles, the writing chrisA has done in the past doesn't necessarily mesh with cd projekt red offerings.  perhaps chris is looking to get outta his comfort zone and try a grit & b00bs title, but it is not a natural pairing.

That's funny, because you could drop Durance in Witcher universe and nobody would bat an eyelid.

So long as we're making wild guesses, I suspect that the indie scene is the most probable place where you'll see MCA's future vidyagame work.  The guy seems to be passionate about his creative projects, but the day-to-day stress of helping to run a reasonably large company has got to be tiring.  And, given that the company is reduced to working on Tank MMOs so that they can make payroll, it probably isn't quite the avenue of creative expression that it used to be. 

• Like 1