Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian

mkreku

Nah. He's gonna join Ad-Rock and Mike D as the resurrected MCA.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Not really surprising, considoring the rumors about his disagreements with Josh and all that. In any case, all the best wherever his path takes him. Hopefully we'll see more awesome writing from him. His companions were my favorite in PoE. original.gif

Pfft. That can't be the reason. Everyone knows there's a fighting pit at Obsidian where they solve all their disagreements. "Two men and a dice enter. One man and a dice leave."

• Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

He's spent so much time on inXile stuff lately that this is not surprising.  Still, this is a huge loss for Obsidian! Avellone's writing is the number one thing I like about Obsidian games over other RPG developers.  I hope he stays in the field.

• Like 1

Good luck MCA! It is sad, but if he moves to CD Project Red, Bethesda, or InXile I think great things could come of it. Not to say good things couldn't come from Obsidian. I think the gaming industry needs more writers like Chris, and whoever snags him has got my attention.

To be honest, I don't think CD Project Red needs Chris.

I've actually cared for some of the stories in The Witcher 3, they have managed to frighten me by setting the mood just using dialogue, they've managed to make pixels on a screen sexy and they've made me laugh out loud from surprise when their understated humour has been more clever than I expected from a video game.

Bethesda on the other hand.. I feel they have the skills to make really cool video games technically, but.. An experienced writer would certainly help them.

• Like 4

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I've actually cared for some of the stories in The Witcher 3, they have managed to frighten me by setting the mood just using dialogue, they've managed to make pixels on a screen sexy and they've made me laugh out loud from surprise when their understated humour has been more clever than I expected from a video game.

Bethesda on the other hand.. I feel they have the skills to make really cool video games technically, but.. An experienced writer would certainly help them.

Oh no CDPR knows how to create great stories, that's for sure. But with Chris they probably would be even better. :) 

I joined this forum when i heard that the creator of Planescape: Torment was going to a KotOR sequel. It wasn't that long ago.

"Meh" is all i can say at the moment.

• Like 3

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

but if he moves to CD Project Red

Now that is something i can get behind. CDPR and Chris Avellone? Yes please!

Dude CDPR is a polish studio, and the writers are polish as well. The game was written in poilsh and what we get is merely a translation. I know a polish guy on Steam who claims the english translation is "competent" at best, and fails to convey a lot of stuff. I highly doubt CDPR would even contact Avellone. There'd be massive communication problems if Avellone was writing in English and the rest of the people in Polish.

Really sad to see Avellone go. He's easily my favourite writer when it comes to videogames. I wonder what lies ahead for Obsidian without one of its key people (and to me, the most important person there).

• Like 3

I hate Unity.

CDPR? Nah. Bethesda? Nah, F4 is far too far along anyway. InXile? Nah, the 8th President of the US wouldn't make a good RPG subject.

All the evidence does indicate that he's heading to Bioware- Dave Gaidar even stepped down as creative lead on Dragon Age to make room, plus there's their Star Wars RPG (rumours are it's KOTNewR) coming up as well. They might even be doing a swap, with Gaidar coming to Obsidian. Nah, he's going to work with Ken Levine on System Shock 3, as I just won the Eurobillions lottery.

Good luck to him anyway and whatever he ends up doing, one of the very few people whose work I'd buy sight unseen just on the name.

• Like 1

He seems like a head honcho. Head honchos don't go to work for other head honchos. I get the impression Chris has left to do his own thing. Or maybe nothing right now. People need breaks.  

Tim Cain was a head honcho once, right? Now he's working at Obsidian, and hasn't been involved in a head honcho position yet.

Fallout 4 is long enough in the oven that MCA would have little to no impact. That said, he could bring a much needed facelift to Bethesda's future stories.

I would pay a decent sum of money to see Chris Avellone chokeslam Emil in the ring.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Yeah, CDPR seems to do well enough right now when it comes to stories/writing.  A place like Bethesda could really do with someone like Chris A, though.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Mein bet right now is InXile, and they are waiting to play it off as a stretch goal once they hit their funding goal.

That would be quite good bet if it was not the facts that according to him he can't speak about his future yet, and that inXile is currently making two games and in my knowledge they don't have capacity to start third game or even ability to expand themselves so that they could make that third game. Also MCA has seem to been able to work for inXile's projects quite well from his current position. 

But of course it is always hard to guess what happens in other people's lives and what motivates them to do what they do.

Yeah, CDPR seems to do well enough right now when it comes to stories/writing.  A place like Bethesda could really do with someone like Chris A, though.

They probably could benefit from somebody that has experience of writing roleplay experiences, currently they make good games, that sadly are quite limited on roleplay wise.

Moving from Southern California to Poland while taking a paycut so he can work on dumbed down console focused games? Sounds like tragedy in the making. No thanks. 

Edited by PIP-Clownboy
  • Like 2

Moving from Southern California to Poland while taking a paycut so he can work on dumbed down console focused games? Sounds like tragedy in the making. No thanks. 

But Poland has cheaper and better beer (in their bars).

More like to work on one of the best RPGs ever made. :)

Edited by Sakai