Mac: Game won't launch at all (workaround doesn't work either)

Manulla

Question

I have a new Retina MacbookPro 15 inch AMD Radeon R9 M370X. Downloaded the game via Steam. No trouble. But it won't launch. Screen goes black, small "Preparing"-screen appears and then nothing. Similar to the launching problems already reported. Only that the workaround with the original file from the library doesn't work either. Kind of frustrating. Anyone else has this problem?

Player.log.zip

Edited by Manulla

14 answers to this question

Hey guys,

I have the same problem with a 2015 Macbook Pro with AMD R9 370X graphics card.

I found two solutions to the problem.

i) plug on a monitor via HDMI

ii) in Settings / Energy (OS X settings; don't know the exact terms, my system runs in german) there is a option to automatically switch between Intel and AMD graphics card. Deactivate it.

Both work in my case. Hope I could help.

Hi Manulla,

I'm going to try and get one of those ASAP, but if I may ask, do you happen to have Wasteland 2 and/or Shadowrun? Curious if they run OK or if you run into issues with them.

Either way, we'll get our hands on one and try it out and see if we can see what's up.

Thanks,

Darren

OBSIDIAN ORDER OF ETERNITY - Officially sponsored most generously by Pierre and SD!

I have a new Retina MacbookPro 15 inch AMD Radeon R9 M370X. Downloaded the game via Steam. No trouble. But it won't launch. Screen goes black, small "Preparing"-screen appears and then nothing. Similar to the launching problems already reported. Only that the workaround with the original file from the library doesn't work either. Kind of frustrating. Anyone else has this problem?

Disable AUTOMATIC GPU SWITCHING in energy saver

• Like 1

Switching to windowed mode helped me just a little while. After couple transitions between areas, crashes started to occur again. I don't have external monitor and I only have one GPU ("Intel Iris 1536 MB"), so aforementionted fix is not going to work for me.

Developers, let me know how can I help. I can send you logs, run test code, or do whatever is needed to get this fixed. This is way too great game to prevent Mac users to enjoy this.

Ive just installed it now from Steam on my MBPr 2013 integrated graphics, 10.10.5, 8 Gb and it wont go past character creation into the game without crashing.

Graphics hardware encountered an error and was reset: 0x00000003, EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT) in the Unity thread.

A hotfix hasnt been coming shortly, should i get a refund?

Hello Aarik,

i also purchased the steam-version during the winter-sale and experience the same problem. 

I´ve overcome the initial crash (right after the beginning dialog) by switching to window-mode. After that, i was able to play about 18 hours (act II) without any crashes; but now the game dies with every transition or save...

I´ve got a Late-2013 MBP (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP690?locale=en_US), 16 GB running OS X 10.10.5

I´m currently downloading the El Capitan-Update, hoping this might solve the issue... these 18 hours really got me hooked :)

Thanks for your support 

Hello Captainjon,

Welcome to the forums! I hope you had an awesome holiday season! Have you tried the solution that was resolved in this thread? The hotfix was released in mid June. Could you please post your system specs? 

Thanks a bunch!