Art Paralysis.

s13ep

Whether or not we anoint this, when we play a game, we are educated with it's tradition. Many developers try to imply throughout their game that there's a hidden meaning to find, but to every players dismay, there is none, and only the implication. 

I'm experienced with art in so far as the last ten years where I've collected numerous pieces and showcased them on my gallery. With my expertise, I've learned to control this hidden meaning, making my verses invaluable assets to any developer.

The first step is to repent the power of words in your own mind, and instead try to think completely artistically - in imagery, in sense. When you have an open mind, design in your imagination, what can be described as, a visual template of your games world that says thousands of related words, and senses.

Hot and cold are more than physical representations of art in harmony, but for the purposes of an example, we'll study them by that declaration. Hot is opposed to cold, and they make together harmonious opposites. 

Remember we're not restricted by words; therefore we don't see hot and cold as individuals on a wide spectrum of energy gain and loss. 

Let's say I now make a video game, I can use these natural opposites in my visual template - which can be very abstract. The best effects come from natures that are harmonious ( as with Hot and Cold ), so choose wisely how you abstract your template. Don't go too far away from the harmony, abstracting them so much they become something entirely different - unless it has some profound effect. Perhaps I choose to make the hot side of my template into a tiger ( a violent, more hot-like animal ) and the cold side into an elephant ( a peaceful, more cold-like animal ), then have them blend softly together. Steam or melting ice where hot seems more prominent; extinguished flames and smoke, where it seems as if cold is more prominent. 

When the visual template is created, in whatever form, our focuses should be away from the natural world, and we should now only refer to the template, and this is how we get lost in our games universe.

In the development of my video game, many good ideas will spring to mind through the bond with these opposites, truly. Let's say the armies of cold meet the armies of hot, immediately I'll get a rush of thought that revolves around how hot and cold react to one another ( the melting ice and extinguished flames; hot hotheadedness or a cold domineer ). A story unfolds before I write anything down, which has many beneficent effects.

An abstract Template I created based on the natures Greater Good, Good, Evil and Greater Evil.

• The Devil ( Greater Evil )
  • The Lord ( Evil)
  • The Jester ( Good )
  • The Angel ( Greater Good )

Two events of many that come to mind: the stairway to heaven ( when good meets a greater good ), and the light in the darkness ( when good meets evil ). 

The visual template acts as a pool of wisdom, granting you a free idea here and there and many references, as well as that hidden meaning which is sought after. It doesn't have to be a literal secret, but secrets can be added - this is a classic case of 'the more you know the more in-depth story you can create'. When we play a game that has a visual template, we'll be reminded of it during game play and this quenches the thirst to search for a hidden meaning, replacing it all-together; it's the simple explanation of the story.

It works like a secret in itself, as no words are said, it's, just, art - a silent hero, a dark knight. A chorus to your verses!

Edited by s13ep

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

This will be hard to believe but I say the following without any animosity:

Your post is too pretentious and egotistical, there isn't any room for discussion since you're so into your idea (self) that you forgot to share it. I don't know what you expect us to discuss, but I just know that you seem to be someone who thinks that he/she had an original thought and its just waiting to realize that someone else had the same idea a long time before them. (There ain't nothing new under the sun)

Please clarify your intent in making this thread and give us a topic of discussion instead of a dissertation. 

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I don't sense my own ego, I sense confidence in a good idea.

There is prior knowledge here - not everyone inexperienced; I have ten years of art collecting and showcasing under my belt. That's where my confidence comes from. For I know this idea works. Why present in discussion form what can be presented as something useful, and then discussed? Should I write less confident in myself? I don't see your point other than you're annoyed at any attention I receive... You need imagination to understand this concept.

To add to the actual topic:

The visual template doesn't have to be a static image; it can be made of many frames.

Edited by s13ep

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

There is prior knowledge here - not everyone inexperienced; I have ten years of art collecting and showcasing under my belt. That's where my confidence comes from. For I know this idea works. Why present in discussion form what can be presented as something useful, and then discussed? Should I write less confident in myself? I don't see your point other than you're annoyed at any attention I receive... You need imagination to understand this concept.

The visual template doesn't have to be a static image; it can be made of many frames.

Look, you seem to be either enthusiastic or a troll because your ideas don't come across through your wording. Here's a tip: you could have the best game idea ever and if you're unable to communicate the right way no one will be able to "get" it. Mainly, what I get from your post is a random assortment of ideas that have little cohesion and can't be rightly be called a system. 

Also I still don't see the purpose of this thread; although I get the feeling that you might be someone's avatar and this is just a troll attempt (or English isn't obviously your first language). Either way, please tell us what you hoped to accomplish by making this thread. Disregard of this last request will be interpreted as if you where a troll and I will cease any interaction.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Look, you seem to be either enthusiastic or a troll because your ideas don't come across through your wording. Here's a tip: you could have the best game idea ever and if you're unable to communicate the right way no one will be able to "get" it. Mainly, what I get from your post is a random assortment of ideas that have little cohesion and can't be rightly be called a system. 

Also I still don't see the purpose of this thread; although I get the feeling that you might be someone's avatar and this is just a troll attempt (or English isn't obviously your first language). Either way, please tell us what you hoped to accomplish by making this thread. Disregard of this last request will be interpreted as if you where a troll and I will cease any interaction.

No I will not "Look".

You either read the thread and reply to it properly, or don't respond at all. You rude rude man.

As for the other person who posted, Art Paralysis, or rather an example of such, can be found in the Developers section - recommended for those with an eye for good art. There's no promises it will work on everyone as some people lack imagination or at least require conformation from someone they deem 'expert'... And you barely know me.

Edited by s13ep

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

There's no idea here. At most, it's a theme suggestion for after you have an idea.

Explain how "using a visual template" is not an idea.

It seems as if you've misinterpreted the original post, or skimmed it at best...

idea: a thought or suggestion as to a possible course of action.

No offense meant by this, but it seems to be that whenever you are a newcomer to a forum, you're forced to gain reputation first, to allow even the smallest sign of your ego show without being told off by those with good reputation and their usual moderator companion. I'm okay with that, but let's not abstract my vision and the vision of many others based on a few peoples statements - no matter how reputable they are...  It's not a sign of 'superior intelligence', it's a sign of 'superior social sanctification'.

Edited by s13ep

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

I am completely confused.

Please change your prose into that of a manual, since a game system has to have a clear and interpretation-free language in order to describe itself accurately.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I am completely confused.

Please change your prose into that of a manual, since a game system has to have a clear and interpretation-free language in order to describe itself accurately.

It's for the story more so than it is a game.

When writing a story, for whatever means, create a visual template ( which can be 3D and imaginary ).

tumblr_ms2byp1bMA1qfa89jo1_1280.jpg

You could use this image as a template ( perhaps imagining it with further depth ).

Edited by s13ep

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

Dunno abou the rest, but i like the painting^

• Like 1

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

There's no idea here. At most, it's a theme suggestion for after you have an idea.

It seems as if you've misinterpreted the original post, or skimmed it at best...

No offense meant by this, but it seems to be that whenever you are a newcomer to a forum, you're forced to gain reputation first, to allow even the smallest sign of your ego show without being told off by those with good reputation and their usual moderator companion. I'm okay with that, but let's not abstract my vision and the vision of many others based on a few peoples statements - no matter how reputable they are...  It's not a sign of 'superior intelligence', it's a sign of 'superior social sanctification'.

That's not why I said that. I'm sorry if I came across as harsh, that was not my intent, I wrote that post in a hurry as I was about to leave to catch a train. Perhaps what I should have said that this isn't a "concept", but at most a direction. It's not a story idea, it's not an art style idea. It's incredibly abstract you could keep in mind as you develop those ideas but it's not really what most people in the game industry consider an "idea". There's much less that people can do with it.

Either way, conventional game design wisdom is to start with mechanics concepts (not as in this is the inner workings of the game, but as in this is what the players do) and not art or story and then grow from there.

Edited by TrueNeutral
  • Like 1

One has mixed feelings about the Brunnhild and Allfather illustration, chiefly because of the dissonance it creates in the varying artforms used within its composition, the winged helm, the Celtic jewellery, the unrealistic armour etcetera.

However I would personally state that the nihilistic appreciation of art has risen in tandem with the standard appreciation of art, to the point where criticism has become the more revered art form in some places, while not really contributing much other than the nihilistic movement towards entropy. Now could one argue that this entropy is attractive and valid as an art form in its own right? I'm not sure and hardly think that I am suitable to answer that question.

I will leave this dissection of art and the natural critical response to it in the hands of that revered critic and creator Mr Brooks, whom here studies the possible birth of art amongst early man and its possible reception:

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

That's not why I said that. I'm sorry if I came across as harsh, that was not my intent, I wrote that post in a hurry as I was about to leave to catch a train. Perhaps what I should have said that this isn't a "concept", but at most a direction. It's not a story idea, it's not an art style idea. It's incredibly abstract you could keep in mind as you develop those ideas but it's not really what most people in the game industry consider an "idea". There's much less that people can do with it.

Either way, conventional game design wisdom is to start with mechanics concepts (not as in this is the inner workings of the game, but as in this is what the players do) and not art or story and then grow from there.

No hard feelings man, I get responses like it all the time, on any forum I attend. It must be the way I write or express my character. And point taken, it is very abstract. Maybe I'm the only one who understands it, in this form... I'll do my best to edit it.

Thanks for the heartfelt response!

Edited by s13ep
  • Like 1

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

One has mixed feelings about the Brunnhild and Allfather illustration, chiefly because of the dissonance it creates in the varying artforms used within its composition, the winged helm, the Celtic jewellery, the unrealistic armour etcetera.

However I would personally state that the nihilistic appreciation of art has risen in tandem with the standard appreciation of art, to the point where criticism has become the more revered art form in some places, while not really contributing much other than the nihilistic movement towards entropy. Now could one argue that this entropy is attractive and valid as an art form in its own right? I'm not sure and hardly think that I am suitable to answer that question.

I will leave this dissection of art and the natural critical response to it in the hands of that revered critic and creator Mr Brooks, whom here studies the possible birth of art amongst early man and its possible reception:

I've had a lot of thoughts in reference to this piece; including the bravery and femininity ( as well as, in classic Taoist style, the trees and the gaps in the trees blend perfectly with their domineer) expressed by the male and female in the picture. Many thoughts come to mind if I try to make a story out of it. Which was the point I was trying to get across. This is more visual than text-based, however...

What a beautiful work of art!

Edited by s13ep

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

I do enjoy the use of contrast you suggest. Contrast is a powerful tool (not just visually) and sadly underused in a lot of video games - there's not much contrast in hiding behind brown chest high walls. :lol:

Your use of a Jester going into darkness brought my mind to the old Playstation Pandemonium titles. A bit of a literal translation, but you don't actually see that many Jesters in video games going into hellish environments. :p

277.jpg

• Like 1

I do enjoy the use of contrast you suggest. Contrast is a powerful tool (not just visually) and sadly underused in a lot of video games - there's not much contrast in hiding behind brown chest high walls. :lol:

Your use of a Jester going into darkness brought my mind to the old Playstation Pandemonium titles. A bit of a literal translation, but you don't actually see that many Jesters in video games going into hellish environments. :p

277.jpg

It's where I got the idea from, being honest, but it had evolved over time and became something original!

I have the Devil down as a pure black man or gender-less human with a glitch-like domineer; fearful and flashy. More energy-based than fire.

And the Jester eventually became someone wearing colors like the one in my picture, just a normal man who was emotionally chaotic.

Edited by s13ep

King of Kings

Lord of Lords

Quite humorous is the fact that Odin is himself a manifestation of the trickster and the fool, the omni mythological and cultural figure whom dances the blurry line between the moral and the immoral, the civilised and the uncivilised, and casts a ridiculous mirror image of society back upon itself. A trait that the vanity of man has reduced and denied in the latest generations, but is in my eyes a still very important aspect of humanity: Laughter, ridicule and the tongue in cheek comedy that bursts the bubble of pomposity and self importance.

The champion of the loner and artist whom mocks society, because it should be mocked and offended.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Quite humorous is the fact that Odin is himself a manifestation of the trickster and the fool, the omni mythological and cultural figure whom dances the blurry line between the moral and the immoral, the civilised and the uncivilised, and casts a ridiculous mirror image of society back upon itself. A trait that the vanity of man has reduced and denied in the latest generations, but is in my eyes a still very important aspect of humanity: Laughter, ridicule and the tongue in cheek comedy that bursts the bubble of pomposity and self importance.

The champion of the loner and artist whom mocks society, because it should be mocked and offended.

I've been lost in my mind so much I was unaware of the expertise of some people...

See, I notice only the opposites in nature I have taught myself to see.

I didn't even know that was a painting of Odin, but the way you said that was so perfectly entwined with the picture, even by my low-standards, I immediately took your stance.

Edited by s13ep

King of Kings

Lord of Lords